Heatlhy Smoothies, Please share recipes!

sup3r1or

I'm on a Low Carb, High Fat diet and I make this one up, thick, creamy and very good for you, I make it in my blender.

It is also good for helping to reduce your Cholesterol and or keep it down.

1 Cold Coconut Milk (small pack)

1/2 a fist sized Dragon fruit

a handful of frozen Raspberries

1 tablespoon of ground up Flax Seed (grind it first)

1 Teaspoon of Psyllium Husk

You can leave the last 2 out if you want, occasionally I also add a raw egg to it.

If you do add the last 2, add them last and drink it fairly quickly or the Psyllium husk will make it that thick you almost can't drink it.

Also Coconut milk and fresh Pineapple make a very nice smoothie.

Nice one and good you use husk, as everyone should use it.

Question: where do you find raspberries in BKK? As they're a fortune in villa and I did not see them in.local markets.

I see raspberries at Big C very often, but no idea about the price and Makro has frozen raspberries.

I'm on a Low Carb, High Fat diet and I make this one up, thick, creamy and very good for you, I make it in my blender.

You can leave the last 2 out if you want, occasionally I also add a raw egg to it.

If you do add the last 2, add them last and drink it fairly quickly or the Psyllium husk will make it that thick you almost can't drink it.

Question: where do you find raspberries in BKK? As they're a fortune in villa and I did not see them in.local markets.

I see raspberries at Big C very often, but no idea about the price and Makro has frozen raspberries.

Good to know, as it has been awhile. Probably a decent price if at big c, as the frozen variety I've seen must be imported.

Good to know, as it has been awhile. Probably a decent price if at big c, as the frozen variety I've seen must be imported.

The frozen version at Makro is imported from Chile, nothing wrong with that, and go for less than 200 Baht/kg.

GREEN smoothies (you don't taste the green, just the delicious fruit).

Adapt as you like: Only necessities are seeds, fruit, greens, sweetener of choice.

These are local, economical, except for flax seeds.

1. Several hours ahead or overnight:

- soak flax (or other seeds, nuts) in water in a covered container you'll keep in the fridge. (Soaked flax adds to the smoooooth texture and is a super food).

- freeze pineapple chunks and ripe ripe bananas (little ones great for this)

- buy at market: young ginger, limes, mint, cucumber (little ones), pak bung (= morning glory, water spinach) and/or pak khanaa, apples...

2. Do it

- put chunk of young ginger, 1/2 c frozen pineapple, I small froz banana chunks (soak in water to loosen skin), ca. 2 tblsp soaked flax seeds. Lime juice and zest, sweetener, cold water to liquefy in blender.

- Add apple and cucumber chunks - liquefy more

- Add mint leaves, pak bung and/or khanaa tops last (the stems can be saved for soups, stir-frys). Liquefy and drink it!

TIPS:

Do more or fewer ingredients, to taste.

Sweeten with local stevia as I do: steep local stevia leaves (bai waan) in boiling water for an hour or so. Cool, squeeze leaves into strainer; strain mixture; reduce by half by boiling; cool and store in fridge covered.

To bump up the nutrition further, use cold green tea instead of cold water as liquid. I also sometimes add khrapao (holy basil, a powerful adaptogen. But not to everybody's taste)

FYI: for cholesterol, maybe avoid the coconut MILK. Coco Water, ok.

So what's the best milk to use when making shakes in a blender? The best in terms of lowest fat, lowest cholesterol, and bang for the buck?

Not sure about lowest fat but Meiji produce the best fresh milk .

So what's the best milk to use when making shakes in a blender? The best in terms of lowest fat, lowest cholesterol, and bang for the buck?

Not sure about lowest fat but Meiji produce the best fresh milk .

All have fat free milk...fat free is as low as you can go.

I don't feel any difference between Meiji or the other brands.

If you don't want to go over the +- 6 teaspoons of sugar you should eat per day I think you should cut out the fruit and any low fat dairy products (fat is taken out of low fat products and replaced by sugar - in most cases). In many cases fruit juice and many commercial smoothies contains more sugar than fizzy drinks. Eat fruit and drink water = healthy

Spot on! Liquidizing fruit takes away the roughage and concentrates the sugar. Eat the whole fruit and drink water is the best dietary advice. World Health Organization has just halved the amount of advised sugar intake per day.

Asians have the highest incidence of diabetes in the world - even Thai diet coffee is full of sugar!!!

I have a super lazy sods healthy smoothie recipe for you!

3/4 cup Kefir Yoghurt

1 tablespoon chia seeds

1 tablespoon flaxseed oil

Stir to mix ingredients and drink up!

We imbibe this smoothie daily at home to help maintain good digestive health and boost good gut flora. We buy the Kefir Yoghurt and flaxseed oil at a local health food store, and the chia seeds can be bought at Tops. Best of luck with your smoothie recipe search!

We buy the Kefir Yoghurt …...at a local health food store…...

Not trying to be argumentative but kefir isn't strictly yoghurt or even a variation thereof…it's far richer in probiotic strains. Yoghurt has one or two…..retail kefir has 6-7, home cultured kefir can have up to 30 strains of good bacteria.

The best kefir is made when you make it at home….since it is a living culture.

Also the retail ones are hugely expensive…..but i guess merely finding kefir in thailand is a stroke of luck so I wouldn't quibble about it.

Where do you get yours? I would love to have a go-to source.

BTW….I recently decimated my gut flora due to antibiotics and went on a homegrown kefir binge for 3 weeks….it re-colonised my gut and now everything is fine again. Another thing about Kefir….it contains tryptophan (like turkey) so it makes you extremely drowsy…..but an incredibly nutritious thing no doubt.

Im surprised to find out, a lot of people opts for milk, soya milk, cocoa powder or even coconut milk (not water) which is not so healthy.

Anyone adds any vegetables?

yes they really call for the add of a little bit vodka licklips.gif Helps with the fat as well.

My current one:

- 2 small bananas for smoothness and fiber

- 1 coconut (water + pulp) for creaminess, taste and also one of the most alkaline fruit

- 1 passion fruit for vitamin C and for its wonderful taste.

- kale or spinach for iron, protein and calcium.

My current one:

- 1 coconut (water + pulp) for creaminess, taste and also one of the most alkaline fruit

Sounds disgusting !

Why the emphasis on "alkaline" ?

Is it believed by drinking this concoction the bodies PH can be altered?

A/ Anything with MILK is NOT A SMOOTHIE, it"s a MILKSHAKE and its super unhealthy.

B/ Being healthy means using FRESH ingredients, using frozen veggies in a country where you have SO MANY choices of veggies is plain stupid.

a/ I doubt there is a compulsory definition on what a smoothie must not contain. And milk is a value source of protein and surely healthy for everyone who needs more protein.

b/ deep frozen is one of the best method to keep fruits fresh. But of course real fresh is better, I agree with that. Only here so many fresh fruits are so full with chemicals that they are super unhealthy. And I never know which are full with chemicals and which not, I don't believe anyone on the market, specially after we had a staff whos parents had a farm. Lower legs full with inflammations. She told that comes from the touch of the vegetables after spraying them with pesticides. She told they would never eat these and farm their own vegetables and fruits at a different place. They sell on the market, looking innocent, you would trust it is all natural.....In this case I am sure deep frozen from Europe would be better.

My current one:

Sounds disgusting !

Why the emphasis on "alkaline" ?

Is it believed by drinking this concoction the bodies PH can be altered?

kale or spinach for iron and protein? blink.png