What can I do to stay longer in Thailand ?

I am looking for advice on what to do,thank you in advance.I am a Brazilian citizen,62 y.o.,retired doctor,enter Thailand Nov/2014,not on a visa,but only with a stamp for 90 days,went out in Feb/2015,came back next day,got a new 90 days stamp,stayed until may,went out for a month,enter Thailand again June/2015 ,stayed for a month and went out in July/2015.Came back in Sept,07/2015,and the immigration officer told me, they will not allow me to enter Thailand again using a stamp,that I need a VISA,but he gave me a stamp valid until December/2015. I want to stay in Thailand for longer time,6 months,1 or 2 years.Can you kindly advise me on what can I do.Thank you very much.

You could get a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration. You will need to show 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. To apply for the extension you will need an entry from a non immigrant O visa.

If not you could get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet. The visa would allow two 60 day entries that can be extended at an immigration office for 30 days.

Getting a tourist visa would break the chain of 90 day entries you have been getting and allow you do at least one more after the tourist visa ends.

Hi Joe,

Just a quick one which you might be able to answer. Isn't it also possible for the OP to get an 'elite' visa for 500'000 baht which is valid for 20 years (4x 5 years) which could also act as a retirement visa? And save the hassle of re-applying and showing 800K combinations every year.

You could get a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration. You will need to show 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht. To apply for the extension you will need an entry from a non immigrant O visa.

If not you could get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet. The visa would allow two 60 day entries that can be extended at an immigration office for 30 days.

Getting a tourist visa would break the chain of 90 day entries you have been getting and allow you do at least one more after the tourist visa ends.

Hi Joe,

Just a quick one which you might be able to answer. Isn't it also possible for the OP to get an 'elite' visa for 500'000 baht which is valid for 20 years (4x 5 years) which could also act as a retirement visa? And save the hassle of re-applying and showing 800K combinations every year.

Your numbers are off a bit. It is 500k baht for a 5 year membership that allows one 5 year visa. It is 2 million baht for a 20 year membership.

Since he of retirement age the extension would be the best overall option. The 800k baht is only an amount proved not paid like the membership fees would be.

Thank you very,very much Ubonjoe.This gives some hope.

I can not meet the 800K now,I was,but brazilian money was depreciated from 1US=2,2 to 1 US=4,00 in 1 and a half year.

So,I will try to get a visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Do I need to get any forms prior to get there ? Can I go there 1 week prior to my stamp expiration ? Which of the 2 would be easier to get the visa ?

Sorry to bother,and thank you very much for the help.

Big hugs,

Isac.

As long as leave the country prior to your current entry ends it would be enough time to apply for the visa.

Both locations are about the same for getting the visa. Vientiane is a bit easier travel to for most people. Tuesday and Wednesday are the best days to apply there because the consular section is less busy.

You apply the morning of one day and pick you visa the next afternoon.

Look here for info on getting the visa. Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region

Visa application form: New Vientiane Form July 2015.pdf

• Like 2

Hi Joe,

Jonclark, get your facts right, the 500K Elite visa is only good for 5 years ..period.

And it will cost 2000000 bhat for 30 years Elite Visa, there is no such visa with 500000 Bhat for 20 years.

• Like 1

Yourself for the Thailand guarantor. Leave the Lao one blank that is for Laotians.

I don't recommend Kuala Lumpur for any visa plus it would only be a single entry visa.

Penang is much better than KL but it would also be a single entry visa.

• Like 1

Thank you very,very much Ubonjoe.This gives some hope.

I can not meet the 800K now,I was,but brazilian money was depreciated from 1US=2,2 to 1 US=4,00 in 1 and a half year.

So,I will try to get a visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet.

Do I need to get any forms prior to get there ? Can I go there 1 week prior to my stamp expiration ? Which of the 2 would be easier to get the visa ?

Sorry to bother,and thank you very much for the help.

Big hugs,

Isac.

I have once left Thailand for Laos at Mukdahan on the day my visa-exempt stamp

expired no problem! I hope you can do it at Sadao and Padang Besar, too.

Hi Ubonjoe ,Sorry to bother again,

I was reading the form to apply for the visa and they want A GUARANTOR in Thailand and also in Lao.Who can it be ? .

I am in Phuket,do you think it would be the same to apply in Kuala Lumpur ???

Thanks again.

You can ask any of the Thais that you know if you can use their address and phone number

as Guarantor when you apply for your visa. I don't think you will need a copy of their ID card.

I didn't when I applied for mine in Vientiane.

As for the Lao Guarantor, I left it blank, as ubonjoe mentioned. I don't know how it goes if you

apply for one in Penang, though.

Good luck.

• Like 2

You're over 50, get a retirement visa.

Allows you to stay for a year at a time.

Sorry for asking, what you mean with a retirement visa for 1 year ?

Those are only given, if they still do, in the country of residence, with the required paperwork.

The most embassy's dough will only give you a 90 day's with the advice to take a extension of stay at the immigration.

It would be helpful for some, if there was a list , where and under what conditions , the mentioned 1 year visa for retirement could be obtained.

I know its possible, but not everywhere...

You're over 50, get a retirement visa.

Allows you to stay for a year at a time.

Sorry for asking, what you mean with a retirement visa for 1 year ?

Those are only given, if they still do, in the country of residence, with the required paperwork.

The most embassy's dough will only give you a 90 day's with the advice to take a extension of stay at the immigration.

It would be helpful for some, if there was a list , where and under what conditions , the mentioned 1 year visa for retirement could be obtained.

I know its possible, but not everywhere...

The only visa that comes close to being a retirement visa is a OA long stay visa that can only be obtained in your home country or country of legal residence. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-(Long-Stay).html

Many incorrectly call a one year extension of stay based upon retirement obtained at an immigration office a retirement visa. You must have a non immigrant visa (non-o) entry to apply for it. Within the country the only place you can get the visa entry is at Bangkok immigration and few nearby offices that can accept the application.