Just when Windows 10 and I were getting on so well....

pinkpanther99

I thought it was too good to be true.

A quick seamless installation, easy to navigate, and very good first impressions.

I knew it was going too well. Something had to give.

After enjoying using Windows 10 since I installed it last month, and after experiencing zero issues so far, I was pleasantly surprised with Microsoft's latest OS.

That was until this morning when I woke up to this:

post-37-0-22951500-1442220211_thumb.jpg

There seems to be no way to make it stop. It just sends me around in circles.

Anyone had similar to this?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also installed Windows 10 about a month ago, and was very happy, but with the odd occasional hiccup. Then after the latest bout of updates, it kept showing me the odd blue screen and restarting my machine, after that it worked OK.

But everyday when I first switched on I was getting these retarts after about 5 minutes, please note I had turned the automatic restarts off.

I was getting a little worried about this and decided to go back to Windows 7, before the month was up, via their restore.

Unfortunately this did not work, kept going round in circles telling me they are trying to restore to previous version, bluescreen and then restart. This went on for about 2 hours.

Luckily I had a system rescue disk and a system mirror image which I had done before I upgraded, definitely recommended.

So now I am back at windows 7, and have now realised how wonderful it is.

Windows 10 is now a distant memory and will remain so for at least another 10 months.

Some users on other forums have tracked this to having AVAST or other third-party security suite installed. Uninstall and re-install (or don't re-install if you continue to get the error)

This post from Windows10Forums suggest:

booting into safe mode (shift-key + restart)

{Windows-Key}+R run: cmd

chkdsk c: /f - fixes this error every time (?? how many times is required to "fixes this error every time"?)

...another suggestion might be to do a safe boot scannow

{Windows-Key}+R run: cmd

scannow /sfc

If you get into a safe mode retart loop,

{Windows-Key}+R run: msconfig

In the msconfig window's 'boot' tab, uncheck safe boot

Other drastic recommendations have been:

Creating a NEW USER while in safe mode and copy over any needed files from the old user until the issue gets resolved

Do a complete Windows 10 fresh install

Edited by RichCor

Well would you look at that.

The problem was Avast.

Uninstalled Avast, restarted the computer, Windows 10 then installed some update, then i installed another Antivirus and everything is now working.

Thanks for the info everyone, you've all been a great help.

Edited by pinkpanther99

Had a few teething problems with Win 10 in the beginning although for the past couple of weeks everything is now working very well. I use Bullguard and I think that had stopped the automatic updates and downloading of applications. I removed it from the system before doing a full recovery backup, re-installed and reloaded Bullguard. No troubles at all and everything is exceeding my expectations. Bullguard now working in harmony with Win 10. I am very happy with the new operating system and it is certainly a distinct improvement and step change from XP.

Edited by Nomad97

I also got the critical error for start menu a few times but stopped now. From what I read there is no fix for it and you have to wait for a update from Microsoft. They said Microsoft is aware of the problem. Try not to click on start menu or action center until you shut down the computer.

My own experience is that third party anti-virus products cause far more trouble on personal computers than they are worth. More or less snake oil.

Nowadays the MS built-in antivirus is good enough to catch most stuff. I think using 3rd party AV apps is just sort of one of those habits some of us developed back in the xp days.

Edited by johnnynmonic

I do not understand why people install yet another windows OS when it is still in its testing phase.

Why not wait a year until most MISTAKES have been reported by other users, and hopefully have been solved by Big Brother Microsoft?

This is a good rule of thumb. But offering a free upgrade is a powerful incentive.

I'll stay with XP until you pioneers have sorted it all out for me. And even then I might stay with XP.

XP on a Mac mini mid-2010. Four usb ports, wireless AND wired network, hdmi port, super multi DVD rewriter etc. etc. etc.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by quandow

I do not understand why people install yet another windows OS when it is still in its testing phase.

Why not wait a year until most MISTAKES have been reported by other users, and hopefully have been solved by Big Brother Microsoft?

Some poor sucker has to be the labrat.....

Here is my take on the situation. People want to cling on to so-called security software because of fear. Let it go...remove all third party software from your system and then do the upgrade. Of the 20 or so people I've help so far, the biggest problem lies with security software and old applications. Just move on and everything will work fine for the most part. I stopped using Avast, AVG, Norton, and every other so-called anti-virus, anti-malware software years ago and I haven't had a hiccup in years (probably 5-7, I can't remember.) Now that's not to say I haven't had a few driver nicks here and there, but that happens, because most hardware manufacturers don't keep up. People sometimes can't find the proper drivers for their hardware. Understand that computers will not run every software package ever created, and certainly not simultaneously. Software developers are not perfect and neither is hardware you're trying to run said software on. Just because something you use ran O.K, on Windows XP or 7 or 8.1 doesn't necessarily mean it's ever going to run correctly on Windows 10.

Just got a brand new desktop a few months ago with 8.1

My old desktop I always used XP and for the last year W7, because XP stopped updating.

I will be getting W10-11-12 when I will buy my next desktop in about 4-5-6 years.

They can keep the free update to W10, not interested, way to soon. Wait at least 1-2 years.

My own experience is that third party anti-virus products cause far more trouble on personal computers than they are worth. More or less snake oil.

I've been using Nod32 for over ten years with no problem whatsoever... really great product, fast, unobtrussive, and small memory footprint

Reading all these horror stories make my hair bristle up! (joking only - I have no hair).

Since there are so many wizz kids here, please advise:

What do I have to do if I am a complete 'PC IDIOT' ?

If I chose to stay where I am now (Windows 7 Home Premium - came with the PC) how long will I be able to live with it?

I always tell my clients NOT to install anything MicroSwipe releases until it has been out for at least a year.

They use their customers to debug the software they purchased.

To me, that's like selling you a car and making you put it together yourself.

This is a good rule of thumb. But offering a free upgrade is a powerful incentive.

I'm running Windows 10 and I absolutely love it.

There's a few snags to work out after installing, but I do understand people without deep knowledge in Windows OS how lost they can feel when something unwanted happens.

One of the most unwanted blue screens that happens, in fact the majority of blue screens, are faulty graphic drivers or graphic cards (GC) that actually have IC's "burned".

Today after the CPU (central processor unit is what makes a computer into one), the graphic cards are the ones that heats up the most and I've even had higher temperature on the GC playing SOF (soldier of fortune), than the CPU.

I even had water cooling in one of my computers, but I got a leak and that wasn't so pleasant, total burnout, CPU, memory, GC and BIOS, but before that happened, my PC never went over 55 Celsius in any part of it.

Before blaming Microsoft, check drivers, anti virus software and the hardware in the computer.

I'm not in any way attached to Microsoft but I think MS is getting blamed unfairly by most religious people (Mac and Linux people).

Edited by KamalaRider

because we bought a new machine with win8 (which was the sukiest windows ever) preinstaled and got stuk with it and could nnot go bak to 7 and were using 3rd party utilities to take away some of 8s shityness until this thing finally came out..

Here is my take on the situation. People want to cling on to so-called security software because of fear. Let it go...remove all third party software from your system and then do the upgrade. Of the 20 or so people I've help so far, the biggest problem lies with security software and old applications. Just move on and everything will work fine for the most part. I stopped using Avast, AVG, Norton, and every other so-called anti-virus, anti-malware software years ago and I haven't had a hiccup in years (probably 5-7, I can't remember.) Now that's not to say I haven't had a few driver nicks here and there, but that happens, because most hardware manufacturers don't keep up. People sometimes can't find the proper drivers for their hardware. Understand that computers will not run every software package ever created, and certainly not simultaneously. Software developers are not perfect and neither is hardware you're trying to run said software on. Just because something you use ran O.K, on Windows XP or 7 or 8.1 doesn't necessarily mean it's ever going to run correctly on Windows 10.

Excellent post. Very informative and well said.

I would add that Microsoft is not the necessary OS it once was. I wish Thailand with all its computer hacks and disregard for piracy laws could make a psychic shift to use Linux or some other free and more stable OS. But this is wishful thinking. It is rare to find a computer expert in Thailand who knows anything other than Microsoft stuff.

The only time I ever thought Microsoft software and OS were 'good' was in late 1999 2002. I used to work with huge excel sheets... that later had pivot charts and such. It is a powerful program - excel. Nowadays, I have staff that do the work and I only have to direct and read it all, and find the hiccups in the product. And I am not as proficient in excel as a result. But I dont really care.

At home I run Ubuntu and love it. If used to run it on my work machine but excel does not play well with Linux spreadsheet programs or google docs. There are always formatting problems (or worse) when going back and forth, so collaboration is a problem. Therefore, I have to run Microsoft and use their software. But the moment I don't have to, I will never look back.

All the virus attacks, loss of data because of machine failures, HD crashes, have all happened on Microsoft running machines. Obviously some problems are not software related (many?) but the virus problems alone AND the freaking HUGE updates every week for Microsoft are such a pain in the ass.

Other drastic recommendations have been:

Creating a NEW USER while in safe mode and copy over any needed files from the old user until the issue gets resolved

Do a complete Windows 10 fresh install

There are about four solutions to this problem posted online (e.g. youtube, etc.) and so far I have found that only working around the problem will work for me. I have made a new user profile and through that new profile I am able to open the start menu, etc.

My issue now is knowing what files to copy and what files not to copy over to the new profile. I want to have the same desktop, and Outlook setup as I do now.

I found online some information how to transfer the profile to a new user but they were written for win 7 and not Win 10. The win 7 instructions say to copy over all files except three files with "ntuser" contained in the file name.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Crossy
fixed the quote