Thailand aims to become high income country in the next ten years

webfact

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only quality tourists will travel here, with average spending of 400 USD/day. The beaches will beat the Maldives, the cleanliness will beat Singapore, and the general level of English will be similar to GB. The competitive edge above other countries will be the perfected work and high work ethics generally, paired with high skills in engineering.

As long as the majority of Thais (those outside of the Bangkok elite) are forced to remain uneducated and unskilled this

cannot and will not happen.

But as an earlier poster remarked correctly, the rich will continue to get richer.

Ah yes stick a uniform on them and they know everything. The only people who will be in the high income in ten years will be the Military generals.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

How do they expect to do this with either an enriching civilian government or junta in charge?

Ah yes stick a uniform on them and they know everything. The only people who will be in the high income in ten years will be the Military generals.

Just out of interest anyone know if they've raised their own wages?

rijit

Raise wages !! Too slow and small beans. Raise the rate of commission. No questioning or concern allowed to be raised.

My neighbor is one of those "high income" Thais and his daughter delights in letting everyone know it. She has had the same red plates on her "new" Toyota Camry for two years now just in case someone missed it. Even the wife understands the shallowness of such a flaunt.

cheesy.gif we've already had April 1st this year

What really scared me was a man in a military uniform making this prediction. Kind of exposes Thailand's Achilles heel.

I wouldn't get too scared mate.rolleyes.gif

He's a just the secretary - General of the NESDB wearing the standard khaki kit so beloved of anyone in a civil service job in Thailand, from school teachers to museum guards complete with the usual accoutrements relative to his rank, i.e. wings, stars, stripes and badges.

I doubt he knows the difference between a B52 and an M79

And just how is that going to happen, maybe by robbing and Arrassing more tourist for tea money ? Problem is in 10 years time there will be no more tourist left to rob and a very bleak future for their children due to their fathers GREED !!

Thainess.

Thailand aims to catapult itself out of the upper middle income country trap in the next ten years after the end of the 13th five-year national economic and social development plan, said Transport Minister and NESDB secretary-general Arkhom Termpittayapaisit on Tuesday.

in the next ten years, that would be 2025,
after the end of the 13th five - year national plan ..., that would be (13x5 = 65 years) 2090!

He is right.

Everything is relative. With all these declining Western economies going South, Thailand might become comparatively rich.

Inequality will be an issue, but even here Thailand is not that bad. There's more inequality in the USA than in Thailand (Gini index 39.1 TH, 44.1 USA)

Seen a lot of negative comments in this thread, but let's try to make a real evaluation of this statement:

1. "High Income Country" is a term that refers to a country with a nominal GNI (Gross National Income) per capita of US$ 12,735 or above.

This threshhold changes every year, according to the inflattion in a few major economies.

2. You can see the list of countries by GNI per capita here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GNI_%28nominal,_Atlas_method%29_per_capita

3. Thailand currently has a GNI per capita of US$ 5,410, which puts it in the "Upper-middle-income" group

4. In order to reach the threshhold of US$ 12,735, the Thai GNI per capita in US$ needs to grow by 135% (((12,735 / 5,410) - 1) x 100)

5. How long would it take?

If the GNI per capita grows by 3% per year (quite fast, but achievable), it would take Thailand 29 years to reach the "High Income Country" threshhold.

If the GNI per capita grows by 5% per year (very unlikely), it would take Thailand 18 years to reach the "High Income Country" threshhold.

Personally, I think a 3% per year growth rate is much more realistic than 5%. It may be even lower, at 2-2.5%.

If I had to make a bet on this, I would put it at 35-40 years (so around the year 2050/55).

Edited by soomak