Do you gear up to commute

wow64

why you think and reason others?

it is your head and body when you crash down! forget about others.

it is all about protecting yourself from danger first not about making people around less or more safe.

or do you think it is a good 'choice' to break your head on the pavement in case of an accident?

so maybe you think you dont create danger for others which i dont think so; if you dont gear up, it means you dont know what you are doing and how to calculate risks in your life. so it makes me start to think you might not even know the traffic rules or maybe even dont know how to ride a bike properly. This is the impression you gave me although you might be a clever guy or a super duper rider.

guys running with full gear sure running much more safer than you and know what they are doing and how did you calculate their speed? do you go around with a Radar?

" if you dont gear up, it means you dont know what you are doing and how to calculate risks in your life"

Why don't you tell that to Andrea Iannone. He knows when its time to gear up and when not to.

clearly he cannot calculate the risks in his life too. thanks for your good example on such people.

even though he is a mighty racer, and a great rider, riding a 800 cc bike with shorts, sport shoes and without gloves is not a thoughtful act imo. first of all, most likely his legs might be burned as scrambler is operating frying hot they say.

he looks like a Russian renting a scrambler in Phuket!

he knows the fact that riding on normal roads are more dangerous than riding on a track but he has chosen to ride a 800 cc bike like a squid, not a good example for riders around the world too, especially to his young fans.

why you think and reason others?

it is your head and body when you crash down! forget about others.

it is all about protecting yourself from danger first not about making people around less or more safe.

or do you think it is a good 'choice' to break your head on the pavement in case of an accident?

so maybe you think you dont create danger for others which i dont think so; if you dont gear up, it means you dont know what you are doing and how to calculate risks in your life. so it makes me start to think you might not even know the traffic rules or maybe even dont know how to ride a bike properly. This is the impression you gave me although you might be a clever guy or a super duper rider.

guys running with full gear sure running much more safer than you and know what they are doing and how did you calculate their speed? do you go around with a Radar?

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

You can make assumptions about me from one bit of information if you choose. I could make assumptions about you because of your less than perfect English, but that would be acting like a dick, and I try not to do that.

Why would I be concerned about the other people who share the road with me? Because I'm a decent human being who understands that I have no right to put others in danger.

But, FWIW, I will say this; I am about to turn 50 and I have been riding since I was 14. I have had some spills, some with gear, some without. I also drove ambulances as an EMT for a while. These and other experiences have brought me to my current opinion on wearing safety gear. And yes, I am licensed.

Finally, one does not need to calculate someones speed to know if they are driving too fast for the conditions. Take for example the recent Facebook video of the kid who ate shit in the rain and then so 'gallantly' held onto his passenger. The minute I saw that video I knew he was going too fast, long before I heard anything about how fast he was actually going. That he was going too fast is self evident.

do whatever assumptions you can do as long as they are reasonable like mine. but assumptions coming from my english would be poor in a bike forum, dont you think?

as i said in my post, you might be actually a clever guy and a good rider but from your post, that was not the impression i got.

you say you had your spills with or without gear, which one was more painful at ideal conditions? with or without gear? lets say what are you defending?

if freedom of riding without a gear, of course that is your life your skull. but if anyone defends that freedom openly, i have the right to criticize it because thousands of riders are dying on the roads just because they dont use a helmet or protective gear, harming themselves and others. thinking they are cool, they are free not to, or a helmet makes them sweat! - it is sweat or bleed at the end and if they do an accident and die, no one will remember their cool faces or their great tendency and love of freedom a day after the funeral!

as a decent human being and for security of the others, you just concern about yourself first and try to be away from danger. this will prevent you harming others on the road automatically. like they say in airplanes, before worrying about others, put the oxygen mask first to your own face.

Like I said, I would not make assumptions about you because of your English skills, because that would be acting like a dick.

The spills without gear hurt more, but I feel that I learned from those much more. Road rash will fix things in your mind, and leave you with a reminder to be more careful.

To jump for a moment to the full face thing, of course a full face helmet is more safe in a crash, to argue otherwise is silly.

Staying off of motorcycles, and staying off of them in SEA in particular, is also 'more safe'. I don't see any of us here making that 'more safe' choice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back on topic, I gear up for my commute. That includes full-face helmet, mesh jacket with pads, reinforced gloves, and leather boots. I take a chance on the legs, as I haven't found riding pants my size. I commute 35 km round trip on the weekdays, average speed is 35-40 kpm.