Do you gear up to commute

wow64

Drive every day to work at a speed not exceeding 40-50k in bkk...Been getting lazy wearing proper gear.

Cut down to helmet gloves and pants.. What do you guys wear at these speeds?

Have to take a change of clothes to get into when I get to work so I dont stink.

What do you guys wear and is a jacket boots and pants really needed at speeds around 40km?

Sent from my c64

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steel Toe Caps. Full Face Helmet. Alpinestars Jacket with shoulder and elbow protection. Alpinestars gloves.

I do worry that my legs are not properly protected though - only wearing jeans is not going to prevent painful loss of skin or worse.

Speeds of up to 100 kph.

Flip Flops , oh dear lord, tried putting your feet down at 40km/hr?

if i lived in a cold climate i would gear up

thailand is WAY too <deleted> hot.... i dont commute anywhere but if i had to, the most i could possibly wear is helmet and gloves

jacket and jeans in the daytime is just ridiculous, i am drenched in sweat before ive even left my neighborhood, and would arrive at my destination in dire need of a shower.

thats why i dont go out in the daytime at all.... sleep until 4-5pm everyday, go out after sunset ;)

I can recommend 5.11 taclite pro pants. Imo best pants for slow riding. All double layer where needed. And much stronger than jeans. Maybe i should try a taclite pro shirt too, not sure.

I ride with work boots in town.

where do you buy these tactical pants and shirt in thailand?

I can recommend 5.11 taclite pro pants. Imo best pants for slow riding. All double layer where needed. And much stronger than jeans. Maybe i should try a taclite pro shirt too, not sure.

You might try here (https://www.facebook.com/Chiangmai-tactical-shop-117833861706057/timeline/) The FB page is in Thai but I do see some recent posts about pants and shirts.

I wear 5.11 pants as well and love them.

David

I got mine cheap in a shop called " 71 Export" in Bangkok. They sold old stock (second quality) a while ago for 500-700 Baht. But you can get them in several outdoor shops too, e.g. tank store. But tank store is pretty expensive, you can get them cheaper, even in Thailand.

thailand is WAY too <deleted> hot.... i dont commute anywhere but if i had to, the most i could possibly wear is helmet and gloves

jacket and jeans in the daytime is just ridiculous, i am drenched in sweat before ive even left my neighborhood, and would arrive at my destination in dire need of a shower.

thats why i dont go out in the daytime at all.... sleep until 4-5pm everyday, go out after sunset wink.png

I had the same thought as you TRW however I took the plunge and bought full riding gear for the wife and myself.

Honestly I find it cooler riding with the jacket on than not even while stopped. It keeps the sun off and the Revit Airwave lets the air through.

I could never understand why Thais wear jackets on days with the sun blazing, now I know.

thats why i dont go out in the daytime at all.... sleep until 4-5pm everyday, go out after sunset wink.png

I had the same thought as you TRW however I took the plunge and bought full riding gear for the wife and myself.

Honestly I find it cooler riding with the jacket on than not even while stopped. It keeps the sun off and the Revit Airwave lets the air through.

I could never understand why Thais wear jackets on days with the sun blazing, now I know.

good post,a nice vented jacket and pants does feel cooler than sitting there having the Sun burning g your exposed arms

i will get proper gear for highway or long trips.... but 99% of my driving now is just 1-2km within pattaya traffic... i dont see how a jacket can possible be cooler than a tshirt.... but i guess ill have to try it sometime and find out for myself.

i sweat incredibly easily, and any blockage of direct airflow causes me to sweat... im pretty sure even in a ventilated jacket i will be sweating like im in a sauna.... guess ill find out someday

i sweat incredibly easily, and any blockage of direct airflow causes me to sweat... im pretty sure even in a ventilated jacket i will be sweating like im in a sauna....

Yes, you will, same as i do. The vented parts are fine of course, all other parts will get wet as soon as you stop or go low speed. Worst are the parts with armour and the back protector, if their is one.

Do you need protection at low speed? Depends more on the accident than on the speed imo. So better it is.

About the last sentence in your OP. Any gear you wear is not necessary to do with speed, protective clothing can save you a lot of injuries

even at 40 Kph, I always wear protective clothing on road trips on my Forza, jacket trousers and gloves.

On local trips on my PCX, I do not gear up.

Steel Toe Caps. Full Face Helmet. Alpinestars Jacket with shoulder and elbow protection. Alpinestars gloves.

I do worry that my legs are not properly protected though - only wearing jeans is not going to prevent painful loss of skin or worse.

Speeds of up to 100 kph.

Flip Flops , oh dear lord, tried putting your feet down at 40km/hr?

You can get trousers with kneepads, that's what I have.

You do all your riding at night?? What about Thailands roads? That's the main reason I hardly ever ride at night.

If you are riding at speed after dark on roads you don't know, you are really taking a big chance.

Be careful and keep safe.

You do all your riding at night?? What about Thailands roads? That's the main reason I hardly ever ride at night.

If you are riding at speed after dark on roads you don't know, you are really taking a big chance.

Be careful and keep safe.

yeah 99% of my driving is at night.... i live in pattaya fulltime, so im familiar with all the roads i drive on.... still incredibly dangerous, but thats part of the fun ;)

i sleep most of the day.... wake up around 5pm, so sun is starting to go down before i even finish breakfast.... i hate driving in the daytime, too hot.

I don't commute, but ride into the city almost every day, so kind of the same thing...these are bicycle speeds and so armoured jackets/heavy pants would just fry me. So for me, sleeved shirt and cargo pants, leather shoes and socks..and now always a pair of gloves, not so much for protection but to keep the sun off the back of my hands.

Open faced helmet, like everyone else, but I have taped the upper part of the face screen to try to keep the sun off my boat.

This Monday evening here in Singapore, on my way home from work on the SLE (a three lane highway).I went passed an accident with 4 cars rear shunted and the first car had a Honda 400 under it.

Sat on the kerb in the middle of the road was a very distressed young man in shorts, a vest and blood streaming from his arms and legs.

Not nice.

I need to get some better protection for my legs.

Open face helmets = goodbye lower jaw and teeth in a bad smash.

This Monday evening here in Singapore, on my way home from work on the SLE (a three lane highway).I went passed an accident with 4 cars rear shunted and the first car had a Honda 400 under it.

Sat on the kerb in the middle of the road was a very distressed young man in shorts, a vest and blood streaming from his arms and legs.

Not nice.

I need to get some better protection for my legs.

Open face helmets = goodbye lower jaw and teeth in a bad smash.

If he was run over by a car, body armour/leg protection won't help...you can't argue with a car.

An open face helmet may have helped him hear/feel the car coming, maybe..but jaw protection at bicycle speeds is a waste of time.

Now if you are riding/touring at speed, I would say full-face every time, along with leather/Kevlar and decent boots/gloves, it is horses for courses.

Around the big bad city you need all you senses to the max and you will even see the guys who have combi helmets have them opened up in the busy traffic.