Two dead, two injured in Phuket head-on collision

webfact

Two dead, two injured in Phuket head-on collision
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Two Thai men were killed and two Indonesian taken to hospital following a head-on collision between two motorbikes in Rassada early this morning (Sept 16).

Phuket City police receieved a call at 1:30am from a local resident advising them of a head-on collision between two motorbikes near the Rubber Replanting Aid Fund office on Srisuthat Rd in Rassada.

Two men had been injured and two men were dead as a result of the collision police were told. Traffic police and Kusoldharm rescue workers arrived at the scene to find a damaged Honda Click lying in the middle of the road and nearby was a wrecked Honda Wave.

Close to the bikes was the lifeless body of Chaiwat Sombatthong, 34, from Talad Yai who had suffered serious head injuries and a broken right leg.

In a nearby drainage ditch, which was still under construction, police found the heavily tattoed body of a man, who police have not yet been able to indentify, who had suffered a broken neck.

The bodies of the two men were taken to Vachira Hospital.

Two injured men, named as Lain, 23, and Duzo, 24, and both from Indonesia, were also taken to Vachira Hospital.

Maj Akkaradech Pongphrom from Phuket City police said that Lain and Duzo said that they were riding on the Honda Click heading to Koh Sirey when they made a sudden move to avoid the drainage construction ditch.

“Lain said that the area did have signs warning of the constrution but there were no lights on and it was raining,” Maj Akkaradech said.

“As they tried to avoid the drains they collided head-on into the oncoming Honda Wave resulting in the death of Chaiwat and his passenger,” Maj Akkaradech added.

No charges have yet to be filed and police are still investigating the accident.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-dead-two-injured-in-phuket-head-on-collision-54129.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-16

From this report is appears that the Thai were on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way. If so, that's about par for the course.

On my CBR's and Forza, that's not a problem, as I almost never ride them in the bike lanes. On my PCX, which I do use in the motorbike lane, I've encountered hundreds of Thai doing this, with countless "near misses" because of it.

Edited by Just1Voice

From this report is appears that the Thai were on the wrong side of the road, going the wrong way. If so, that's about par for the course.

On my CBR's and Forza, that's not a problem, as I almost never ride them in the bike lanes. On my PCX, which I do use in the motorbike lane, I've encountered hundreds of Thai doing this, with countless "near misses" because of it.

Im not sure you have read correctly (but I can mistaken too). Looks like the Indonesians were on their side of the road but had to take evasive action because of repairs on the road / drain and came to the other side of the road where they hit the two Thais.

That is how I read it but it depends of course on how much they had to move to the other side to evade the unlit and unmarked construction on the drain / road.

Im not sure you have read correctly (but I can mistaken too). Looks like the Indonesians were on their side of the road but had to take evasive action because of repairs on the road / drain and came to the other side of the road where they hit the two Thais.

That is how I read it but it depends of course on how much they had to move to the other side to evade the unlit and unmarked construction on the drain / road.

The construction was not unmarked.

The construction was not unmarked.

No lights .. just seems dangerous.

What ... you dont have any Harley D. ... ? but thanks for the report from your bike park ... gigglem.gif

What motorbike lane?

Also like mentioned before it doesn't sound like the Thais were driving the wrong direction. Sounds more like the Indonesians were swaying into the wrong lane to get around the construction site.