Video of Thai navy cadets smashing phones stirs criticism

webfact

Video of Thai navy cadets smashing phones stirs criticism
PAPITCHAYA BOONNGOK, Associated Press

BANGKOK (AP) — When the Thai military says cadets can't bring phones to training, they mean it.

A video clip that has ignited social media in Thailand this week shows what happened to some officers-in-training who broke that rule.

The video, dubbed "Soldiers Must Endure," shows a row of uniformed naval cadets with their iPhones and Samsung smart phones on the ground, each one beside a concrete block.

"You just bought this, right? Expensive, eh?" says the voice of a commanding officer who asks each trainee to state the make of his phone and then orders them to bend down and — "Smash it!"

The video has been viewed hundreds of thousands of times on Facebook, YouTube and popular Thai social media forums in the past few days, drawing mostly criticism that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Many comments posted online suggested the military confiscate the pricey phones from rule breakers and return them at the end of the term, rather than destroying them.

It was not clear who took the video, which was filmed vertically, apparently using a phone.

The Thai navy issued a statement to "clarify" what happened at its Communications and Information Technology School, which has a rule forbidding students from carrying cell phones on school grounds but which is frequently violated.

Teachers at the school came up with an "honor system" whereby those who break the rule "destroy their phones voluntarily," said the statement posted on the website of the navy's radio station, Voice of Navy.

"This 'honor system' was not recognized by the school and it was not school policy. Therefore, the school has ordered this form of punishment to stop," the statement said.

Wednesday's Bangkok Post newspaper ran a commentary suggesting the video clip highlighted a larger problem of the Thai military's need to modernize its thinking.

"That a military school focusing on communications and information technology does not view mobile phones as learning tools, but obstacles that must be banned, says a lot about how much the military has to do to catch up with the world," said the commentary.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVRHkthMz_o

As an ex-member of the armed forces in the UK, I can understand that the punishment is nothing to do with carrying a phone, it is about failing to follow orders. In our case, if just one guy had his phone they would probably have made everybody get theirs and smash them to teach the lesson that if you screw up, you screw everybody else up as well.

Imagine some of these guys end up walking through a jungle looking for smugglers or whatever and a phone starts ringing because one guy thought he could do what he wanted.

We had many instances where the punishment didn't fit the offence, but looking back I can appreciate why they did it. What I didn't appreciate was the enjoyment the instructors seemed to get while dishing it out ...

Great . military rules .

If the young men or kids here ride a modified motorcycle with a loud exhaustpipe and the military has a controlepost then they let them take off the exhaustpipe and the kids have to smash there own exhaustpipe with a sledgehammer.

Works better then the coppers take there 100 or 200 baht and let them go .

As an ex-member of the armed forces in the UK, I can understand that the punishment is nothing to do with carrying a phone, it is about failing to follow orders. In our case, if just one guy had his phone they would probably have made everybody get theirs and smash them to teach the lesson that if you screw up, you screw everybody else up as well.

Imagine some of these guys end up walking through a jungle looking for smugglers or whatever and a phone starts ringing because one guy thought he could do what he wanted.

We had many instances where the punishment didn't fit the offence, but looking back I can appreciate why they did it. What I didn't appreciate was the enjoyment the instructors seemed to get while dishing it out ...

Hmm but how do you post on your Face Book photos of the pretty jungle and handsome smugglers if you do not have your phone at the ready whistling.gif

Hmm but how do you post on your Face Book photos of the pretty jungle and handsome smugglers if you do not have your phone at the ready whistling.gif

Go to nearest 7-11 and get cheap phone

When I was in the army they called it dicipline .

Something we all need to learn in life , especially the young Thai men .

When I was in the Army it was called "f#ck#ng the troops about".

It wasn't good for discipline, morale or unit cohesion.

It can be safely regarded as an indicator of piss poor leadership.

Can't see what the fuss is about. Fairly mild discipline. Try asking locals about the punishments that are meted out to conscripts. Don't think they will be posted on youtube.

A couple of years ago I saw a company of recruit conscripts doing fatigues (at the Chiang Rai flower show as I recall).

They were all dressed in PT kit. The NCOs were all in full kit, and carrying sidearms. I wandered why they needed pistols to defend themselves from a bunch of recruits. If this is the sort of thing that goes on (and as you suggest worse), then perhaps I now realise why.

Can't see what the fuss is about. Fairly mild discipline. Try asking locals about the punishments that are meted out to conscripts. Don't think they will be posted on youtube.

A couple of years ago I saw a company of recruit conscripts doing fatigues (at the Chiang Rai flower show as I recall).

They were all dressed in PT kit. The NCOs were all in full kit, and carrying sidearms. I wandered why they needed pistols to defend themselves from a bunch of recruits. If this is the sort of thing that goes on (and as you suggest worse), then perhaps I now realise why.

I saw a vid on YT they beat the crap out of you and they weren't wearing any sidearms that is just BS

I saw a vid on YT they beat the crap out of you and they weren't wearing any sidearms that is just BS

No it is what I saw.

If you wish to call me a liar fine, but perhaps some more convincing evidence than a "vid you saw on YT"?

Edited by JAG

My personal favorite was "Swing your arms Mr JAG, if you don't swing your arms you horrible idle little gentleman I will rip them out of the sockets and beat you to death with the soggy ends!"

Very very hard to keep a straight face when that is being shrieked hysterically at you by a Coldsteam Guards Colour Serjeant!

Edited by JAG

Doing significant monetary damage to private property should be a no-no. Frisk search and confiscation for several months is OK.

And note it is officers training. Not poor Somchai is drafted. Surely they can say no and drop out from the training without problems.

Doing significant monetary damage to private property should be a no-no. Frisk search and confiscation for several months is OK.

it is not drafted army they are here on their own will and can drop out with their phone. But they decided to stay in and do the damage themself....

When I was drafted our officer was always around with a sidearm and told us that the only purpose of the side arm is to shoot this recruit into the back that doesn't follow orders in a time of crises as a sidearm is worthless against the enemy. I never saw him without sidearm.

No it is what I saw.

If you wish to call me a liar fine, but perhaps some more convincing evidence than a "vid you saw on YT"?

No not calling you are liar but the side arms are standard it is not there to protect them against conscripts!

When I was drafted our officer was always around with a sidearm and told us that the only purpose of the side arm is to shoot this recruit into the back that doesn't follow orders in a time of crises as a sidearm is worthless against the enemy. I never saw him without sidearm.

That's true that why you are given assault rifles anyway I've seen them the good ones I mean shoot 50m at targets

"suggested the military confiscate the pricey phones from rule breakers and return them at the end of the term, rather than destroying them."

No.

They knew the rules and deliberately broke them.

Phones were expensive?

Tough shit, they shouldn't have brought them when they were told not to.

Having served in the military I fully understand that there is a need to enforce discipline, however getting these cadets to smash their phones seem a tad over the top!

Maybe some extra duties along with confiscating the phones would have done the trick, seems like a lack of imagination on the part of their instructors IMHO