Ten months overstay

For those who are interested, I spoke with my acquaintance today. He and his family departed Bangkok without any hitches at all and are now in Hamburg. He got the help of a thai lawyer and an official from immigration and sorted out the problem weeks in advance. It cost him 70.000 Baht in all and he did not have to report to immigration at the airport. It had already been cleared. They are staying in Germany until the end of the month and he is currently applying for a one-year residence permit/visa for Thailand.

Incidentally he spent a total of 15 years (uninterrupted!!!!) without a visa in Thailand. Not bad going!!!! I´ll get a breakdown of the "costs" from him in 10 days time when he comes to Berlin.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think how much money he saved in Visa runs over 15 years - over 250K !!!!

All in it cost him 70K - still pricy when all he had to pay was 20-25K at the airport - but fair enough if he decided to use the services of a lawyer who charged him 45 - 50K half of which the good old lawyer quite likely paid his chum at Immigration!

Tim

Thai Immigration uses brand-new thechnology, unheard of in the rest of the world. It is called a "computer" and, with it, any Immigration official with one can check on the status of any visitor. I know that this sounds absolutely unbelieveable, but it is true. Even if you lie and claim that your passport has been lost, Immigration can check to see the last time you left and reentered the Kingdom. Believe it or not!

While accepting member privacy, it would be good to hear if this guy has been banned for his overstay on the basis that this information would be useful/a cation to others.

I handed myself in to Idc after seeking advice from the British Embassy i overstayed my visa 10 months and that is my only crime.You can always contact the british embassy if you want i have the british pro consul e-mail address he will prove to you that i speak the truth.

Hayashi

I am glad for you that it worked out in the end and that you had to stay 'only' a few days in detention.

I am amzed thta the UK embassy gave such a bad advice and did not sugest you run for the airport and get on the first cheap flight to KL saving you the trip home and the detention time

15yrs??? :D Now if thats not taking the piss - I dont what is. :o

On the Other hand, it does suggest that in the last 15 years this "citizen" has not had any brushes with the law and has gone about their business, spending their money in Thailand and helping the economy along quite nicely...no? :D

Thai Immigration uses brand-new thechnology, unheard of in the rest of the world. It is called a "computer" and, with it, any Immigration official with one can check on the status of any visitor. I know that this sounds absolutely unbelieveable, but it is true. Even if you lie and claim that your passport has been lost, Immigration can check to see the last time you left and reentered the Kingdom. Believe it or not!

The OP was Retired USN too :o

15yrs??? :D Now if thats not taking the piss - I dont what is. :D

On the Other hand, it does suggest that in the last 15 years this "citizen" has not had any brushes with the law and has gone about their business, spending their money in Thailand and helping the economy along quite nicely...no? :D

He was actually a bit of a naughty lad - having relieved a number of people, including myself, of money (of which I got mine back eventually....) - and it was more a matter of keeping his head well down, avoiding those who were looking for him, rather than supporting the economy!!!! He was actually involved in a nasty accident 2 years ago and was taken to hospital in BKK - but he always seems to have known the "right" people and greased the right palms to keep himself out of jail. For those in doubt, he really was 15 years in Thailand without a permit. :o He went to a lawyer to sort things out for him, gladly paying the lawyer´s fee, rather than taking the chance of being picked up at the airport and subjected to Buddha knows what by the authorities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was actually a bit of a naughty lad - having relieved a number of people, including myself, of money (of which I got mine back eventually....) - and it was more a matter of keeping his head well down, avoiding those who were looking for him, rather than supporting the economy!!!! He was actually involved in a nasty accident 2 years ago and was taken to hospital in BKK - but he always seems to have known the "right" people and greased the right palms to keep himself out of jail. For those in doubt, he really was 15 years in Thailand without a permit. :o He went to a lawyer to sort things out for him, gladly paying the lawyer´s fee, rather than taking the chance of being picked up at the airport and subjected to Buddha knows what by the authorities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi lads hayashi here just to let you know i landed at a nice new airport thursday night and it was raining.And now im in Bangkok had no trouble with my passport,to a chance immigration just stamp my passport i have 30 day visa.

Hi lads hayashi here just to let you know i landed at a nice new airport thursday night and it was raining.And now im in Bangkok had no trouble with my passport,to a chance immigration just stamp my passport i have 30 day visa.

The Dude advises not to gloat too much on this situation

Ok..

IMHO laughing at someones elses misfortune, even though it's their own doing, isn't quite right. lets try and bear this in mind from now on.

hayashi - I think that before you buy a flight you need to confirm what is stamped in your passport. If you do not want to post it out in public view then PM me with an attachment and I will see what I can do about getting it translated.

totster :D

Point taken Totster and i take it on board as a serious matter and misfortunate situation.

It is actions like these that are undermining all legally approved / law abiding visa holders and collectively encouraging the immigration authorities to tighten the screws and introduce preventative measures that will be our misfortune.

This is NOT a negative comment directed at yourself Totster and indeed your contributions are well appreciated by T. Visa members.

hayashi just maybe will take what you say as being supportive relating to his overstay and his failures not being so serious.

This is my own view on the end product of what actions like hayashi,s lead up to.

He didn,t / couldn,t be bothered and was fed up of the physical requirements is a bit much and extracting the urine out of us that continue year after year after yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

May i politely suggest that now, as noted in a later post you have got back in you abide by the rules like the majority of us.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee think of the implications and play be the book. :o

marshbags :D:D:D

P.S.

Your comments on getting back just inflame further animosity and just maybe you,ll overstep the mark again.

It could be that when you go for your next stamp someone will take a more detailed look at your passport and give you a red card.

If not then good luck but please, you,ve got nothing to be gloating about by your acceptance to enter as some with less minor offences are given a hard time by the authorities and do not deserve it, unlike yourself on this occasion.

Edited by marshbags

Ok..

IMHO laughing at someones elses misfortune, even though it's their own doing, isn't quite right. lets try and bear this in mind from now on.

hayashi - I think that before you buy a flight you need to confirm what is stamped in your passport. If you do not want to post it out in public view then PM me with an attachment and I will see what I can do about getting it translated.

Point taken Totster and i take it on board as a serious matter and misfortunate situation.

It is actions like these that are undermining all legally approved / law abiding visa holders and collectively encouraging the immigration authorities to tighten the screws and introduce preventative measures that will be our misfortune.I landed at bkk airport on the 5th of this month been here 3 days now i not make the same mistake again but am doing day trips to the monkey house i stayed at 500baht for a day trip best bring your own food.

This is NOT a negative comment directed at yourself Totster and indeed your contributions are well appreciated by T. Visa members.

hayashi just maybe will take what you say as being supportive relating to his overstay and his failures not being so serious.

This is my own view on the end product of what actions like hayashi,s lead up to.

He didn,t / couldn,t be bothered and was fed up of the physical requirements is a bit much and extracting the urine out of us that continue year after year after yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

May i politely suggest that now, as noted in a later post you have got back in you abide by the rules like the majority of us.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee think of the implications and play be the book. :o

P.S.

Your comments on getting back just inflame further animosity and just maybe you,ll overstep the mark again.

It could be that when you go for your next stamp someone will take a more detailed look at your passport and give you a red card.

If not then good luck but please, you,ve got nothing to be gloating about by your acceptance to enter as some with less minor offences are given a hard time by the authorities and do not deserve it, unlike yourself on this occasion.

So you decided after all to travel to Thailand again without a visa and just get a 30-day stamp on arrival. How long are you planning to stay this time?

--------------

Maestro

So you decided after all to travel to Thailand again without a visa and just get a 30-day stamp on arrival. How long are you planning to stay this time?

--------------

Maestro

28 days and six hours then of for a 3 month visa not make the same mistake again.Unlike a certain German who i meet at the monkey house its his 2nd time in 2 years now that is stupid.

15yrs??? :D Now if thats not taking the piss - I dont what is. :o

Sorry, I might be missing the point, but hasn't he just blatantly broke the law?

• 2 weeks later...

for what its worth - i got deported in 2003 for illegal exit of the country, after 7 days in the IDC and a court appearance. In 2004 I returned on a different passport from a different country (dual nationality) at the friendship bridge xing, with a visa obtained back home.

im now in indonesia flying into bkk in 2 days, again with a different passport but without a visa. im a bit nervous. will post the results here

wish me luck

It is actions like these that are undermining all legally approved / law abiding visa holders and collectively encouraging the immigration authorities to tighten the screws and introduce preventative measures that will be our misfortune.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee think of the implications and play be the book.

well said.

While accepting member privacy, it would be good to hear if this guy has been banned for his overstay on the basis that this information would be useful/a cation to others.

I handed myself in to Idc after seeking advice from the British Embassy i overstayed my visa 10 months and that is my only crime.You can always contact the british embassy if you want i have the british pro consul e-mail address he will prove to you that i speak the truth.

this guy sounds like somone I ran into around Siliom. same story, I first met him at Richards pub, we talked a few min and I told him I was going ot soi 5, he said he had never gone. So I ask him to join, I had a bottle af gen at Balcony, well once I started to talk to this guy I found out he was really messed up...he starts talking about being in jail for overstas, he talked about takeing money for sex, etc....well I know something was up, but since we was allready chatting a few drinks would not matter( I did NOT want this guy in any way only was being nice) well to cut to the chase I left on my own, without him, I di dNOT go back to Balcony for maybe 1 week, this is the bar with my new bottle of gen.....well when I went back they tell me this guy come and took the gin, he told them that I was just outsed and wanted to take it waway!!! ofcourse I get upset since I had gone to this bar 5 years and had never taken my bottle out and never was in the bar with this English guy, well the bar did the right thing and gave me a new bottle of my gin, they did NOT want to loose a good coustmer.

butt if this is the same guy wishc is sounds like it might be he should stay way, this is a young guy 22 or 23......

I woudner what else he has done......

I know this may be a different but the story sounds so much a like!!!

I feel i have to defend myself that guy was not me i have only cver stayed my visa.I say only i know it was a serious mistake and i will not make that error of judgement again.I have never stolen anything in my life i even have a clean driving licence 26 years and not 1 point.And i do not take advantage of anybody at least there has been some intresting reading in this post but i do not like being called a con artist.Please be more careful of who i may or may not be in the future and keep stories like the above to yourself.

I think you misunderstood.. I wasn't being supportive of people overstaying their visa.

But, he came on the forum with what I thought (and still do) with an honest question about his recent problem, through his own doing.

I simply wanted to find out what had been entered in his passport so that an accurate answer could be given.

I'm not one to be judgemental of someone, in any circumstance, the OP asked for advice, and the only way to give advice was to get more information.

And as to your comment about the OP inflaming matters when he posted that he had entered again without any problems.. may I remind you that he did so legally through immigration.

If the OP chooses to ignore yours and others good advice in the future then so be it, at his peril.

totster :o

I think you misunderstood.. I wasn't being supportive of people overstaying their visa.

But, he came on the forum with what I thought (and still do) with an honest question about his recent problem, through his own doing.

I simply wanted to find out what had been entered in his passport so that an accurate answer could be given.

I'm not one to be judgemental of someone, in any circumstance, the OP asked for advice, and the only way to give advice was to get more information.

And as to your comment about the OP inflaming matters when he posted that he had entered again without any problems.. may I remind you that he did so legally through immigration.

If the OP chooses to ignore yours and others good advice in the future then so be it, at his peril.

I now tend to think that hayashi has taken on board all the comments from our various posts and it isn,t a repetitive thing of going outside the imm. laws.

His reference to re entering did come across as being sarcastic and i based my inflaming reference to this.

Unfortunately we all take things out of context and sometimes our posts come out in a different tone to what they are supposed to.

This i feel is what has happened to hayashi in this case, again because of his further contributions in the thread.

I,m also feel sure that you where not meaning to show support for the actual overstay offence now that you have commented further on what you meant by " supportive ".

I,m not being condescending by the way Totster and hope you will accept my apologies for misunderstanding your comment.

I also know how difficult it is to put something across in type as against verbal comment in debate / discussion unless you are well versed in the written / typed word. ( which i for one am not ) :o

this guy sounds like somone I ran into around Siliom. same story, I first met him at Richards pub, we talked a few min and I told him I was going ot soi 5, he said he had never gone. So I ask him to join, I had a bottle af gen at Balcony, well once I started to talk to this guy I found out he was really messed up...he starts talking about being in jail for overstas, he talked about takeing money for sex, etc....well I know something was up, but since we was allready chatting a few drinks would not matter( I did NOT want this guy in any way only was being nice) well to cut to the chase I left on my own, without him, I di dNOT go back to Balcony for maybe 1 week, this is the bar with my new bottle of gen.....well when I went back they tell me this guy come and took the gin, he told them that I was just outsed and wanted to take it waway!!! ofcourse I get upset since I had gone to this bar 5 years and had never taken my bottle out and never was in the bar with this English guy, well the bar did the right thing and gave me a new bottle of my gin, they did NOT want to loose a good coustmer.

butt if this is the same guy wishc is sounds like it might be he should stay way, this is a young guy 22 or 23......

I woudner what else he has done......

Pale skin, tall, big boned, almost looks irish but sounds more american?

I have just overstayed 10 months 1 week in monkey house 1 week in idc,back in england now want to return to bangkok next week.Hope i get back?

Thats not a bad punishment considering. Its been whispered that losing your passport and then applying for a new one will get you around this near mythical '99 year' blacklist that some expats seem to believe exist.

The reason I suppose is that (for UK passports at least) you get a different passport number. This in theory means that you'll be a different Mr Smith due to your new number. Whether this works or not (with the new cameras that take your photo now at the airport?) I don't know. So unless someone heres already tried and failed in this approach you could give this way a try. If you still want to come back that is!

UPDATE: Just read Hayashis successful entry to LOS. Congrats on returning! No need for a new passport!

Edited by JimsKnight

He was actually a bit of a naughty lad - having relieved a number of people, including myself, of money (of which I got mine back eventually....) - and it was more a matter of keeping his head well down, avoiding those who were looking for him, rather than supporting the economy!!!! He was actually involved in a nasty accident 2 years ago and was taken to hospital in BKK - but he always seems to have known the "right" people and greased the right palms to keep himself out of jail. For those in doubt, he really was 15 years in Thailand without a permit. :D He went to a lawyer to sort things out for him, gladly paying the lawyer´s fee, rather than taking the chance of being picked up at the airport and subjected to Buddha knows what by the authorities!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back , and good for you, sorting it out and moving on, sharing the info with us. i wouldnt fancy 7 days in the monkey house though :o From what i understand something like 9 out of 10 farangs in thai jails are there for visa over stay, i dont know if this is accurate?