Clinton 'appalled' by Muslim comment at Trump campaign event

Lite Beer

Clinton 'appalled' by Muslim comment at Trump campaign event

KEN THOMAS, Associated Press

DURHAM, New Hampshire (AP) — Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday she was "appalled" that Republican rival Donald Trump declined to correct a questioner at a recent town hall meeting who incorrectly claimed President Barack Obama is Muslim.

Clinton told reporters that Trump and anyone seeking the White House should "start behaving like a president, to show respect and to stand up for truth."

"He knew or he should have known that what that man was asking was not only way out of bounds, it was untrue, and he should have from the beginning repudiated that kind of rhetoric," Clinton said following a town hall meeting at the University of New Hampshire.

Clinton has repeatedly sought to contrast her leadership style with the Republican billionaire, who has built a lead in

Republican primary polls and attracted large crowds to his rallies. Trump, the billionaire businessman, did not dispute the man's comments at the Thursday night town hall meeting in New Hampshire and said he had heard others raise the issue previously.

"If that person had been at my event, I would have called him out on it," Clinton said. "Not only is it out of place and wrong, it is totally factually untrue and quit impugning the integrity of the president."

The Democratic presidential candidate declined to speak specifically about the debate performance of Republican Carly Fiorina, who confronted Trump during the televised event over comments he had made about Fiorina's appearance. But she said all of the top Republican candidates on the debate stage supported "defunding Planned Parenthood and I vigorously disagree with that position."

Later, in Portland, Maine, Clinton confronted a small group of environmental activists who stood up during her organizing event and held signs that read, "I'm Ready for Hillary to say no KXL," demanding she oppose the Keystone XL pipeline. Clinton has declined to take a position and expressed impatience with the Obama administration's deliberations over whether to approve the pipeline, which would transport oil from Canada's tar sands to refineries on the Gulf of Mexico.

"What I have said is you'll hear from me shortly and you will, but you're not going to hear from me today," Clinton said. "So don't interfere with other people being able to participate."

In declining to take a stand on the pipeline, Clinton has said she doesn't want to interfere with a decision that was under consideration while she served as secretary of state.

Clinton spoke at a town hall meeting at the University of New Hampshire to outline her campaign's $350 billion plan to make college more affordable and reduce the burden of student debt. It aims to reduce the cost of four-year public schools, make two-year community colleges tuition-free based on a similar proposal by President Barack Obama, and cut student loan rates.

She made no mention of her Democratic rivals like Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders but said Republicans had "taken aim" at higher education and sought to cut aid that makes school more affordable.

Clinton also signaled plans to confront the "for-profit" college industry, "who have been preying on our young veterans. It's outrageous what some of these places have done — they entice young veterans to join and then it's a fraud. We're going to crack down on that."

When a reporter asked Clinton how students should assess her college affordability plan compared with Sanders' version, the former secretary of state said hers was "more comprehensive" at reducing costs and emphasized paying down student debt.

Sanders' $70 billion annual proposal would eliminate tuition and fees for students attending public universities and would be funded by imposing a tax on transactions by hedge funds, investment houses and other Wall Street firms.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-09-19

The GOP didn't have a prayer to win the next election because of demographics but it would have been close. This is a gaffe for the GOP and she's trying to make it a landslide by making them look even more stupid.

If there was ever an unforced error in Politics it is this.. the people in the GOP are so out of touch with reality that Obama is a US citizen.. in contrast every left leaning policy proposed starts to look reasonable.

Apparently, being called a muslim is such an appalling thing that everyone must condemn it immediately. Just like being called a Nazi, I guess. Glad to see Hillary realizes this. I wonder how muslims will take it?

in a nutshell this is the racism of low expectations and is the poison behind most progressive 'positive discrimination' measures.

Apparently, being called a muslim is such an appalling thing that everyone must condemn it immediately. Just like being called a Nazi, I guess. Glad to see Hillary realizes this. I wonder how muslims will take it?

Nazi is a slur because they did despicable horrendous things.

Being a Muslim just like being a Jew is not a slur. Trump is encouraging it to be used as a slur.

Can you imagine the reaction if an audience member criticized a President by saying; "But he's Jewish."

Quite rightly there would be outrage; that's racist; that's out of order, I won't tolerate such nonsense.

Trump just laughed it off.

Edited by dexterm

Being a Muslim just like being a Jew is not a slur. Trump is encouraging it to be used as a slur.

Can you imagine the reaction if an audience member criticized a President by saying; "But he's Jewish."

Quite rightly there would be outrage; that's racist; that's out of order, I won't tolerate such nonsense.

But this is precisely what you do in topic after topic on this forum.

A perfectly reasonable response by HRC to Trump's ridiculous, bombastic racism gets the usual misogynistic, out of touch responses from our Thai Visa baggers.

They viciously hate Obama and Hillary. They hate everyone. It's why I love watching these lemmings walk off the cliff in lockstep. clap2.gif

A perfectly reasonable response by HRC to Trump's ridiculous, bombastic racism gets the usual misogynistic, out of touch responses from our Thai Visa baggers.

They viciously hate Obama and Hillary. They hate everyone. It's why I love watching these lemmings walk off the cliff in lockstep. clap2.gif

I don't know anyone who hates Obama or Hillary. It's their policies and constant lies that people hate.

As far as the Muslim comment at the Trump campaign event, in case you haven't noticed, Islam is on the march. Muslims are flowing across the borders of Christian nations all across Europe.

Even America is traveling down that same path thanks to Obama. The U.S. is importing large numbers of Muslims from Islamic countries. Islam is the mother lode of bad ideas, and should be considered as serious a threat as the bubonic plague.

I don't know anyone who hates Obama or Hillary. It's their policies and constant lies that people hate.

As far as the Muslim comment at the Trump campaign event, in case you haven't noticed, Islam is on the march. Muslims are flowing across the borders of Christian nations all across Europe.

Even America is traveling down that same path thanks to Obama. The U.S. is importing large numbers of Muslims from Islamic countries. Islam is the mother lode of bad ideas, and should be considered as serious a threat as the bubonic plague.

Muslims are less than 1% of the US population. If they import 100,000 Muslims from Syria, they will still be less than 1% of the US population.

The salient problem is the fritzed out guy at the Trump rally said Muslims are in training camps prepping to kill Americans and that POTUS is a Muslim. This is the problem, this is the issue. The right trying to give it a twist to their anti-Muslim agenda fails completely, immediately.

It has been stridently presented at this board that Prez Obama was secretly a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. There are other crackpot right references to Prez Obama as a Manchurian Candidate president and so much more like it from the lunatic right to include in the Republican party teabaggers.

The Trump lunatic supporter said camps and the rest of it. This is the issue, not whether anyone happens to be Muslim or whether that per se might be good, bad, no difference.

We're here because the fringe lunatic right is on the loose again in another election season. This dimwit bunch is however led by the original Birther Trump himself, so Trump can't debunk the guy because, well, Trump can't debunk the guy if the guy is speaking the truth according to Trump himself. clap2.gif

Trump meets petard. wink.png

This billionaire has no class!!!! I will boycott my 30 baht soup tonight in protest!!!

Then send a few classified emails via gmail

Followed by a few speeches that pay me 100 billion baht

and get a massage while i study the Koran.

Edited by puukao

I have many relatives that are Jewish and believe me they are nothing like Muslim. So you can call it what you want, but what it is,is what it is. A horse is a horse call it what you want but a horse is a horse. I was a 2nd lieutenant United States of America Army and I've seen them I know them 90% of them hate America well, that's to bad because we'll whip you again and again if not careful.

Kevin Matthew Wall

It is a sign of our times that so many words corresponding to phenomena or concepts are considered to be an insult, a slur or simply a taboo not to be mentioned.

Sex, orgasm, negro, Jew, Muslim, black, prostitute, lesbian, gay, Islamism, radicalism, political correctness to name just a few.

The question of acceptability of use of these words is often considered from the viewpoint of the reader's interpretation.

To illustrate my point:

"There is a bit of a joke in every joke" is principally different to "There is a bit of a truth in every joke".

" Every meaning of a joke is understood according to the mind-frame of the reader".

Relevance to the OP lies in - Clinton is appalled by the images in her mind upon reading Trump comments. This speaks more of her than of Trump.

As for myself - my problem is I don't like either of them.

Which is no problem of Americans since I am an Australian.

Edited by ABCer

Nazis tried to dominate the world and failed.

Muslims are trying to dominate the world and.........

That's an outrageous lie. There is not a racist/religionist bone in my body. It is the racist supremacist political movement Zionism that I loathe. Educate yourself at...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism

But I do know that Zionists are behind the Islamophobic campaign in USA [and on this forum] that Trump is pandering to, and some American sheeple are being hoodwinked with.

Edited by dexterm

Muslims are less than 1% of the US population. If they import 100,000 Muslims from Syria, they will still be less than 1% of the US population.

To add to the 3 million since 9/11, not to mention the 300,000 Somalis under president Obama.

To add to the 3 million since 9/11, not to mention the 300,000 Somalis under president Obama.

That's not bad considering there are only 150,000 Somalis there now. Where did they all go?

That's an outrageous lie. There is not a racist/religionist bone in my body. It is the racist supremacist political movement Zionism that I loathe. Educate yourself at...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zionism

But I do know that Zionists are behind the Islamophobic campaign in USA [and on this forum] that Trump is pandering to, and some American sheeple are being hoodwinked with.

there you go again using Wikipedia as a source. This thread by the way is about Hillary Clinton and what Donald Trump did, not about Zionism, but to your false distinction between being anti-Zionist and antisemitic I can but point you to the words of Martin Luthur King.
“When people criticize Zionists, they mean Jews. You’re talking anti-Semitism!” —Martin Luther King, Jr.

Clinton told reporters that Trump and anyone seeking the White House should "start behaving like a president, to show respect and to stand up for truth."

Man that is rich coming from the queen of hypocrisy.

Hoisted on her own petard. She had this thing sewn up made in the shade and blew it. This is the first time she has really spoken out in her shadowy campaign. Oh the mighty have fallen. The Democratic presidential bench has no depth its really shallow. If she keeps shooting herself in the foot they are out of options except for Bernie Sanders whom I like except for his 18 trillion dollar spending increase. Yes the rich should pay more taxes but he wants to slay the goose that lays the golden egg. Joe Biden is not the answer people want a fresh face not linked to the big party machine. Politics keeps bouncing around from right to left with no good answers on either side. If there really is a God maybe its time he pulled the plug. He gave us Adam and Eve and Greed and we have been stuck there ever since.

Edited by elgordo38

I have many relatives that are Jewish and believe me they are nothing like Muslim. So you can call it what you want, but what it is,is what it is. A horse is a horse call it what you want but a horse is a horse. I was a 2nd lieutenant United States of America Army and I've seen them I know them 90% of them hate America well, that's to bad because we'll whip you again and again if not careful.

Kevin Matthew Wall

What are you bragging and mumbling about?

Muslims are a disease that corrupts man kind, and has been for centuries and centuries

Christians are a disease that corrupts man kind, and has been for centuries and centuries

Christians are a disease???? You have to be kidding me. You are living in darkness.

This may surprise you, but America was founded by people seeking religious freedom. These people had a Christian perspective on life, and intended America to be a Christian nation. Like it or not, early lawmakers patterned many of our laws from biblical principles.

In countries where Muslims are the minority, they claim Islam is a peaceful religion that worships the same God as Christians. When these same Muslims become the majority, military or political control, they slaughter Christians.

The person who asked Trump about the current threat Muslims pose in America, was right.

As for Hillary and her silly comment, both her and Obama are the mother lode of bad political ideas.