Chiang Mai police arrest Israeli over alleged theft of 20 million THB diamonds

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai police arrest Israeli over alleged theft of 20 million THB diamonds

PqYXHBe.jpg

image: ThaiRath

CHIANG MAI:-- An Israeli man is in police custody over the alleged theft of three 9 carat diamonds, estimated to worth between 20-28 million Baht.

Police arrested Mr Ben Dor, 36, in the Nimmanhaemin Road area of Chiang Mai on Friday.

Mr Bender had previously been working for H. Y. M International Co., Ltd., a Bangkok based jewellery merchant.

It is alleged that whilst working for H. Y. M International Co., Ltd., Mr Dor was given three, 9 carat diamonds to hand over to a customer.

However, the owners of H. Y. M International Co., Ltd say that Mr Dor never gave the the diamonds to the customers and instead fled to Chiang Mai in possession of the precious stones.

With a warrant out for his arrest, and acting on information from officers at Lumpini Police Station in Bangkok, Chiang Mai police arrested Mr Dor outside the hotel where he had been staying.

A search of his hotel room revealed nothing untoward and Mr Dor has so far denied involvement in the theft of the diamonds.

Mr Dor has now been transferred to Lumpini Police Station for further questioning as officers continue to investigate this matter.

Sources: ThaiRath, Khaosod

tvn.png
-- 2015-09-19

Too bad Israeli guy forgot to give the "right people" a per centage of the value - then nobody would care in this Lawless mess of a country ...

its hard to cut a % off a diamond and that would rapidly devalue the bit thats left unless its done professionally

i would guess they swallowed them already or maybe he shoved it into his "prison wallet"

theyre not going to hide it in the hotel room when theyre plasnning to split the country ASAP

xray them both ASAP if they wont tell where it is

Farang on the photo wearing a police uniform is.......

He is a senior British police officer, I've met him during a visit to Lumpini Police Station.

They actually have several British officers posted there (I met this gentleman and 1 younger officer who I took to have recently arrived - this was perhaps 12 months ago)

Very nice guy, helpful, with a typical dry British sense of humour.

I'm surprised that expats living here are not aware that there are foreign police officers officially posted to the Thai police force.

However, the owners of H. Y. M International Co., Ltd say that Mr Bender never gave the the diamonds to the customers and instead fled to Chiang Mai in possession of the precious stones.

I know if I had stolen 28 million bahts worth of diamonds i would be leaving the country pronto not moving to Chiang Mai

I doubt any thai jeweller would trust a farang employer with such a sum

its obviously a fit up

Chiang Mai immigration volunteer.

From the OP "Mr Bender has now been transferred to Lumpini Police Station for further questioning as officers continue to investigate this matter."

And as I stated he is an officer stationed at Lumpini Police Station.

Yes Gandalf
It doesn't make sense to me.

If I was fleeing with diamonds, I'd head out to the countryside on a bus, dissapear for a while.

Or hopped on a boat and gone to Malaysia.​

They must have found him via his flight or hotel booking. ​

Hardly the action of a diamond thief.

PS Loved you in The Hobbit movie​

Edited by t8769

Second time i see a foreigner in a police uniform.

Last time in Loi Kroh with normal police to see if the alchol bottles where put away.

Hope they will be more use full in the burning season and fine all the farmers that set fire to their fields.

Because normal police will not do that to their neighbors, friends or family.

Sorry for dreaming out loud.

If all the evidence is correct and all roads lead to the man from Israel , not the smartest move of the week , noticed I said if all evidence is correct , why , because dealing with the RTP you have to make the assumption someone else is involved and it isn't quite what it seems.

Edited by chainarong

He is a senior British police officer, I've met him during a visit to Lumpini Police Station.

They actually have several British officers posted there (I met this gentleman and 1 younger officer who I took to have recently arrived - this was perhaps 12 months ago)

I'm surprised that expats living here are not aware that there are foreign police officers officially posted to the Thai police force.

You also have AFP stationed in Chaing Mai , and at Swampy FBi , RCMP , Scotland yard, AFP & NZ. , the 5 eye's

From the OP "Mr Bender has now been transferred to Lumpini Police Station for further questioning as officers continue to investigate this matter."

Oh right, any idea why it says "Chiang Mai Immigration" on the sign on the desk in the Lumpini Police Station?

And why should a British police officer, if he is one, be involved with the arrest of an Israeli??

this man was in a position of trust he was given 3 nine carat diamonds to give to a customer but he decided to do a runner instead finishing up in chiang mai he states he is not guilty why did he flee to chiang mai ? where are the diamonds ?

I guess the company has proof that he had those diamonds including a picture taken when he took the diamonds.

As for me I would never ever let someone deliver any valuables on my behalf.

this man was in a position of trust he was given 3 nine carat diamonds to give to a customer but he decided to do a runner instead finishing up in chiang mai he states he is not guilty why did he flee to chiang mai ? where are the diamonds ?

put yourself in his shoes. I case you would have the diamonds you would "flee" to CM? Not leaving the country? I suppose the shop owner wants to have some "extra money tax free"

Oh right, any idea why it says "Chiang Mai Immigration" on the sign on the desk in the Lumpini Police Station?

Maybe he's there to assist with the transfer to Lumpini?

All I know is I met an older British police officer at Lumpini that bears a striking resemblance to that bloke.

Although I will concede that all older blokes do look kind of the same to me.

Maybe he's there to assist with the transfer to Lumpini?

All I know is I met an older British police officer at Lumpini that bears a striking resemblance to that bloke.

Although I will concede that all older blokes do look kind of the same to me.

I guess it could be that he has been on this case back in Bangkok so he has come to get his man.

However, the owners of H. Y. M International Co., Ltd say that Mr Bender never gave the the diamonds to the customers and instead fled to Chiang Mai in possession of the precious stones.

I know if I had stolen 28 million bahts worth of diamonds i would be leaving the country pronto not moving to Chiang Mai

I doubt any thai jeweller would trust a farang employer with such a sum

its obviously a fit up

No one just gives 28mn baht worth of diamonds to deliver.

No one. This is a complete stitch up.