Extension of stay

A friend not on TV has a problem with his extension based on retirement. The IO at Jomtien told him he could not process his extension that day as he needed to make "some enquiries" but would phone him when he should return to the office. His current extension expires today 20 Sept and he has not heard from the IO. When he phones and tries to speak to him, he's told that he is not in the office.

My question is: Is there a 7 day period of grace after the expiry of his current extension? I seem to remember being told this at Jomtien when I first applied for a visa for retirement but cannot find any mention of it on TV.

Thanks for any info.

"My question is: Is there a 7 day period of grace after the expiry of his current extension?"

No. After today he has overstayed unless he applies for an extension at the immigration office. As his stay expired on the weekend he can still apply for an extension tomorrow.

BUT, he should check his passport to see if the IO gave him (stamp in passport) an extension due to having to make "some enquiries". If the IO took all the paperwork it could be that the application is under consideration in which case your friend has nothing to worry about.

There have been many reports that some offices are putting retirement extensions under consideration in the same way as they do for marriage extensions.

​So check the passport first and if there is no extension already then he needs to go to the immigration office tomorrow to sort it out.

I would not worry too much.

Plenty of marriage applicants go over the 30 days consideration time as the applications are not back from head office.

Even though he is based on retirement as long as they are still processing his application he should be fine.

Worth popping along though.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

today at Hua Hin Immigration i made a strange Experience as i need to have new " extension of stay ". I do have 2 single name accounts with Bangkok Bank. One is in Euro, the other one in Baht. The last 3 month i had much more then 800000 Baht in combination of the two accounts every single day. But Immigration denied " Extension of stay ". Any advice what i can do?

Hi,

today at Hua Hin Immigration i made a strange Experience as i need to have new " extension of stay ". I do have 2 single name accounts with Bangkok Bank. One is in Euro, the other one in Baht. The last 3 month i had much more then 800000 Baht in combination of the two accounts every single day. But Immigration denied " Extension of stay ". Any advice what i can do?

The Euro account is the main problem. The full 800k needs to be in Thai baht.

• You will need to go to a neighbouring country and apply for a new non 'O' visa.
  • The Euro account won't be an issue for a visa.
  • Re-enter with the visa and apply for the extension again within the last 30 days of your new 90 day entry.
  • You should top up your Thai account to 800k asap. It will need to be in the account for 2 months prior to the next extension application.
Edited by elviajero

Last Year Application for extension i show only 13000,- baht but 23000,- Euro. With this i get extension of stay without any Problem. So the Euro account can't be the Problem.

What Country would be the easyest for me to get 3 month non immigrant?

Then I assume a foreign currency account must be discretionary as is having the money in two separate accounts. What they are looking for is 800k in one account for the full 3 months.

Vientiane, Savannakhet or Penang.

A mix of fixed deposit and a savings account worked for me today. The bank letter itemized each account number, with the amount in each. No entry in my fixed deposit account sin March, either. He looked at the amount and dates for seasoning.

Hi,

Did the letter from the bank for foreign currency show the amount in the account in baht on the date it was written? That is one of immigration's requirements to accept that type of account.

Did the letter from the bank for foreign currency show the amount in the account in baht on the date it was written? That is one of immigration's requirements to accept that type of account.

Yes, but actual it show 8xx,-€ only because the Euro's were transfered to the Baht account on 14.12. So now because there was no Transaction on the Euro account in October and November immigration counted those two month as not available amount of money, what is stupid.