British Schools in Chiang Mai

wicketkeeper

Lanna is the only International school in CM that offers the British curriculum.

http://www.lannaist.ac.th/

That's not quite true. Varee Chiangmai School offers the Cambridge International GCSE course too but only from Prathom 6 up to Advanced Level (Year 7 to Year 13). Their English Programme covers children from 7 to 12 and although it is the Thai National Curriculum it is taught in English and I was very happy with what my stepson got out of it. To be accurate, the Cambridge International Curriculum is a variation of the one used in the UK and it's adapted in various ways to make it more appropriate and useful for overseas students so the reality is that no school offers the British Curriculum exactly and, given the way successive governments mess about with it, that may be just as well!

To answer your question about which is best is tougher. They both have strong teams of dedicated native English speaking teachers but are very different in character. Varee is a big, modern school with over 2500 students although The International Programme runs almost independently, having it's own building and teaching staff. It also operates a trimester term system in line with most international schools. The course has only been running a few years but seems to be gaining in popularity and achieving some promising results. Lanna has a much more intimate atmosphere with a roll of less than 500 students. Despite operating from older buildings, they have built up a sound reputation and have been running the Cambridge course for longer. At the end of the day (and since there are only two) I would suggest visiting both, talking to staff and parents and getting a feel for them. The most important thing is taking your strongest shot at guessing as to which one your darlings one(s) will fit into the best.

http://international.varee.ac.th/index.php

Edited by Greenside

It's unfortunate they stop at the 9th grade level....We have 2 in Lanna but 1 goes into 10th next year.....Unless we want to tote her to the train station area from Lanna Pinery/Canal Rd area she's out in the cold.....I tried explaining to Lanna they are throwing away a few million baht out of their system that they could cultivate/keep just by setting up some type of van/shuttle to the higher leveled school (parents cost) - but they don't seem to be able to be innovative......

There's not even a decent Thai school in the area for the upper grades....

Like the kids are getting tossed out into the cold after partaking in the system......

Odd thinking.....

I went to both Varee and Lanna while seeking a school for my British daughter. Varee was modern, serious, and came across (at least to me) as a bit sterile and uniform. Lanna was well-worn, even a bit tatty, but it really felt like an English school. The halls and walls were full of childrens art and projects, showing a strong interest in creativity. Despite appearances and cramped space, I was impressed with Lanna. There's a waiting list to get in. I was told there were plans to move to a new campus, but that was probably some years in the future.

I also visited Chiang Mai Christian School which was interesting and Grace.

In the end, I decided on Lanna. It just felt right. But the waiting list was the problem. As it turned out, I decided not to stay in CM due to noise, traffic and air pollution.

Another vote for Lanna--my daughter has been to both Varee and currently Lanna--in my opinion, if you want as near to English style education as you can find, in Chiang Mai--then Lanna is the only choice; they are moving in a year or so, to much larger, new premises but, for the time being space and student numbers are limited.

I work at Lanna International School (LIST) and don't want to get involved with school comparisons, but just to clarify what is happening in terms of campuses:

At the current campus it is only possible to have single form entry throughout the school (meaning roughly 25 students in each Year Group). The campus is old, small, and not purpose built as a school. It is now "bursting at the seams" (it's nice to be popular!), with waiting lists for most Year Groups; and it is really showing its age.

So...

A new campus is being built about 7km south of the current site. It is behind Kad Farang/Koolpuntville 9, roughly halfway between the Hangdong Road and the river. Here's a link: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7nUIyvJbu_U.k-qu0pbfaORw

The Primary school (Kindergarten through to Year 6) will move to the new site in August 2016. At the new site the Primary school will become 2 form entry (48 students in most Year Groups; less in the younger Years). With the Primary school moved the Secondary school (Years 7 to 13) will have then have room to expand to two form entry on the old site; before also moving to the new site in August 2017.

The new site has spacious classrooms, a large pool, a giant indoor gym, a purpose built theatre/auditorium, astroturf pitches, and space! Everything the old one lacks...

I hope that pretty much clears up what Lanna are doing. For anyone who wants to take advantage of the doubling of capacity I recommend contacting the school and arranging for an appointment fairly soon - I know that some Year Groups are almost full for next year already. The new site is designed specifically for 2 form entry; there will be no further expansion beyond that. I believe that is with the aim of trying to maintain it's small school atmosphere. wai2.gif

Edited by JimShortz

where did you move him too? can you elaborate a bit more on the reasons behind your decision to move please?

We moved him to ABS (which doesn't follow a British curriculum so he'll grow up spelling things wrong). A friend of mine says it has transformed his (older) son. They also limit the class sizes to 25/6.

Some of the reasons we moved him were:

Previous year's Thai class assistant lying about his previous year's performance to his current Western teacher. He also had a less than stellar year last year but the only comments we got from his teachers were that "he's a lovely boy" & "he's doing fine", despite us asking why his grades were poor.

Class sizes are too large (35 for my son's class if I remember correctly).

Some Thai parents of students are absolute knuckle draggers and set a poor example (my wife's biggest peeve).

Varee has 3 levels: Thai Programme, EP & International. The students in the Thai programme seem hell bent on either dragging my lad down to their level or reverting to type and giving him grief because he's a Farang. My son was in the EP.

On a positive note, his Western class teacher has taken an active interest in my son and together we have worked to solve any issues, meaning that the year ended much better than it started.

I'm sure many parents are happy with Varee so that's good for them.

I'm sure you looked it up by now but here it it is: Urban Dictionary

If there are any parents like this at VCS I have yet to see them - the car park is so full of high end vehicles that I'm almost ashamed to show up in my three year old Isuzu!

Thanks for the info about LIST's plans which I'm sure will be welcomed by staff, pupils and parents.

It's unfortunate they stop at the 9th grade level....We have 2 in Lanna but 1 goes into 10th next year.....Unless we want to tote her to the train station area from Lanna Pinery/Canal Rd area she's out in the cold.....I tried explaining to Lanna they are throwing away a few million baht out of their system that they could cultivate/keep just by setting up some type of van/shuttle to the higher leveled school (parents cost) - but they don't seem to be able to be innovative......

Like the kids are getting tossed out into the cold after partaking in the system......

Odd thinking.....

I'm trying to work out which school you are talking about. It's clearly not Lanna International School, as that goes to Year 13 (Grade 12) and has done for over 20 years!

I've tried Googling "lanna school chiang mai", but nothing else comes up. Is the "Lanna" that you speak of a school without a website?

Does anyone know another school with "Lanna" in their name? facepalm.gif

Odd thinking.....

I'm trying to work out which school you are talking about. It's clearly not Lanna International School, as that goes to Year 13 (Grade 12) and has done for over 20 years!

I've tried Googling "lanna school chiang mai", but nothing else comes up. Is the "Lanna" that you speak of a school without a website?

Could it be the Sarasas schools. I know one of their branches is near the train station.

Odd thinking.....

Could it be the Sarasas schools. I know one of their branches is near the train station.

Just checked one of the Sarasas schools is called Witaed Lanna.

Edited by Throatwobbler