From street life to the sweet life: Thailand's rescued strays

webfact

From Street Life to the Sweet Life: Thailand's Rescued Strays
By Khaosod English

1442819323_dog1.jpg
All packed up and ready for long journeys to new homes. Photo: DPA / Ian Robert Knight

BANGKOK — Among the non-stop crowds at Bangkok's main international airport are a small group of more unusual travelers going on the trip of a lifetime.

Rocket, Pippi, Palin and Smartie are sitting in their individual crates on luggage trolleys waiting to be checked in among airline passengers, bringing smiles to onlookers. Their destination is Los Angeles, California.

Soon to board his first flight, Rocket appears nervous, barking loudly and scratching away at his large blue kennel trying to get the door open.

His canine companions look relaxed, lying down quietly while chewing treats in their blanket-lined kennels, equipped with a water dispenser.

A few days ago, the four dogs were in a crowded shelter alongside thousands of other rescued street dogs. But now they are about to start a 20-hour, 13,000-kilometre journey to the western United States.

"These dogs have better chances of finding owners abroad than in Thailand," says Emily Bernie, the founder of California-based Life Animal Rescue, who is accompanying the canines on their flight.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1442819220

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-09-21

Meanwhile actual human children suffer and starve everyday, what a waste of money and fuel flying these flea bitten curs anywhere. Peoples priorities are pretty messed up at times.

Top comment! thumbsup.gif

No , people have a choice , dogs don't. If children suffer , it is the parents' fault. Dogs can't stop breeding , people can. It's good to hear some dogs get out of their terrible situation. At least some people have their priorities straight.

Transportation of such a dog to a Western country might cost up to 3,000-5,000 US dollars, an amount with which we could spay almost 300 or treat almost 400 local dogs!!! The fact that 7.6 million companion animals are handed over to shelters in the U.S. alone, while 2.7 are euthanised (one third of those admitted to shelters!) makes us feel you could save one of these lives easier and cheaper!

Sending dogs from Thailand to the U.S. costs a few thousand dollars, while at the same time 2.7 million dogs are being put to sleep in "rescue centers" in that same U.S. every year!

I know, it makes absolutely no sense. As much as I appreciate that the Thai dogs now have a chance at a better life, I would have thought spending the money to find homes for some of the hundreds of thousands that are euthanised every year would make more sense.

Meanwhile actual human children suffer and starve everyday, what a waste of money and fuel flying these flea bitten curs anywhere. Peoples priorities are pretty messed up at times.

I would partially agree with you, if this was government sponsored initiative, but this has been arranged by Life Animal Rescue who have their own set of priorities. Good luck to them and the animals.

In fact, on occasions, I have been heard to mutter - 'the more I see of people, the more I love my dogs' smile.png

I lose little sleep worrying about euthanized dogs when unborn babies are being murdered in the womb by the millions world wide! talk about priorities!

While quite off topic, what you're talking about is not murder.

Be that as it may, why not try to help any form of life when and where you can?

I took a rescue dog to the SF Bay Area from the Soi Dog Foundation. It was hassle free

and the dog's new mom met me at SFO with a nice bottle of wine.

Tell us about the experience from beginning to end.

I heard about being a 'flight volunteer' from TV. The process was simple. I registered

on Soi Dog site: http://www.soidog.org/en/be-a-flight-volunteer/ and provided them

with my flight itinerary. They were in touch soon after. I met two Soi Dog volunteers

at the airport check in counter. My airline was already alerted by Soi Dog that I would

be travelling with "Jess", a dog rescued from the meat trade. I signed a few forms...Soi

Dog paid some fees and we all walked over the the large baggage check in counter.

After that, I didn't see Jess again until I had cleared immigration at SFO. She was waiting for

me at baggage claim. At customs, I handed over Jess's paperwork, provided by SD,

and the official looked at them for a few seconds, turned to Jess and said, "Welcome

to America". I normally get checked more thoroughly than that. Ha! Her forever mom met

me just outside of customs with treats and fresh water for Jess and a craft bottle of

wine for me from her winery.

*************************************************************************************************

This process costs nothing more than the time it takes to send a few emails. In fact, I felt

so good about what I did that I immediately noted a statistically significant increase in

the amount of litter I picked up from the side of the road, the number of elderly I helped to

cross the street, more people I 'converted' to atheism and perceptible decrease in sarcasm.

Who'da thunk it?

Edited by mamypoko

Many of us love our dogs, and I'm sure many of those who grumbled, "Why not spend the money on human children?", have dogs of their own. If we keep dogs as pets, it's only right that we should look after their welfare.... and that includes the numerous strays on Thailand's streets.

That said, I think shipping rescued strays to a country which has plenty of dogs of its own is a waste of money which could be better spent, be it on dogs or humans.

If all the people who insist, in this forum, on having pure-bred dogs, often of relatively uncommon breeds, were to give homes to strays, that would make quite a difference. There are plenty of places where you can get them.... Soi Dogs, CareforDogs, other dog shelters,and all the Government dog pounds in various provinces.

Do something to help, instead of just bitching.

Top comment! thumbsup.gif

The plight of the dogs is the fault of people. They have no choice.

I often wonder if some of the children I see are, in fact, human. Give me a dog any day. Treated right it will be a faithful friend until death.

Many of us love our dogs, and I'm sure many of those who grumbled, "Why not spend the money on human children?", have dogs of their own. If we keep dogs as pets, it's only right that we should look after their welfare.... and that includes the numerous strays on Thailand's streets.

That said, I think shipping rescued strays to a country which has plenty of dogs of its own is a waste of money which could be better spent, be it on dogs or humans.

If all the people who insist, in this forum, on having pure-bred dogs, often of relatively uncommon breeds, were to give homes to strays, that would make quite a difference. There are plenty of places where you can get them.... Soi Dogs, CareforDogs, other dog shelters,and all the Government dog pounds in various provinces.

Do something to help, instead of just bitching.

Yes, I'll second that. My own four dogs were all homeless, I took them in and care for them. Their loyalty and friendship and the sheer joy of having them more than repays the cost of caring for them.