Long, long wait for annual immigration stamp in Phuket!

geoffphuket

Is it just me, or are other people being told to keep coming back to (Phuket town) immigration office to receive their annual 'permitted to stay' extention stamp? It's over two moths now, and this morning they tell me the paperwork still hasn't arrived back. I'm getting concerned!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you submitted the annual marriage extension "package" with all the standard documents and it has been two months? It should take 24 hours at most if the answer is "yes" to the above question, and two months would be way, way out of the norm.

Quite normal to wait 2 months or more for this sort of extension approval from Bangkok. Been like that every year I've applied (now 16 years married). What worries me is that in the last 2 years when the 30 day extension stamp expires they won't give another 30 day extension. Means I am overstayed, I argued that point last extension but Immigration officer just waved me away with a don't worry excuse.

So, you submitted the annual marriage extension "package" with all the standard documents and it has been two months? It should take 24 hours at most if the answer is "yes" to the above question, and two months would be way, way out of the norm.

For the past 19 years, it's taken about 3-4 weeks. That' normal, I've no idea where you get the 24 hours from!

For the past 19 years, it's taken about 3-4 weeks. That' normal, I've no idea where you get the 24 hours from!

Sorry, for some odd reason I had retirement stuck in my brain.

That said. Two months is insane. Another reason to go with retirement extension vs marriage if you are 50.

Exactly, same day or 24 hours for a retirement extension. Always been more than a month for me, more like 2 months. My worry is that in the past when the 30 day (waiting for approval)extension expired they always give another 30 day extension. The last 2 years they would not give the 2nd 30 day (waiting) extension.

Quite normal to wait 2 months or more for this sort of extension approval from Bangkok. Been like that every year I've applied (now 16 years married). What worries me is that in the last 2 years when the 30 day extension stamp expires they won't give another 30 day extension. Means I am overstayed, I argued that point last extension but Immigration officer just waved me away with a don't worry excuse.

Funny you should say that. I asked for another stamp this morning and the officer refused, telling me I'd have to visit every week to see if the paperwork has been returned.

They go to extremes asking for phone numbers and email addresses, but cant be bothered to use the damn things! It's really inconvienient having to keep going back.

That said. Two months is insane. Another reason to go with retirement extension vs marriage if you are 50.

Fine if you want to have the 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht pension a month. Married man needs only 400,000 baht in bank or 40,000 baht/month pension or income. Never relly understood why a married couple need less money than a single man ?? Oh wait - many reasons why a single man needs more money whistling.gif

Fine if you want to have the 800,000 baht in the bank or 65,000 baht pension a month. Married man needs only 400,000 baht in bank or 40,000 baht/month pension or income. Never relly understood why a married couple need less money than a single man ?? Oh wait - many reasons why a single man needs more money whistling.gif

I want to keep this on topic, however, it annoys me that the 400k for married couples isn't 'Grandfathered', yet the retirement 800K is. There's no logic to it at all.

Funny you should say that. I asked for another stamp this morning and the officer refused, telling me I'd have to visit every week to see if the paperwork has been returned.

They go to extremes asking for phone numbers and email addresses, but cant be bothered to use the damn things! It's really inconvienient having to keep going back.

Exactly. I can't understand why they don't issue another 30 day waiting extension like in years past. They don't even give the 30 day waiting extension the same day on my last extension. Have to go back the next day my last extension. That's all wrong for them to keep a passport overnight - against all passport rules by the passport issuing country. But what can we do ??? Nothing. I complained years ago and the Immigration officer blunty said - fine, here is your passport, no extension, leave the country today. I backed down very fast with profuse apologies.

I want to keep this on topic, however, it annoys me that the 400k for married couples isn't 'Grandfathered', yet the retirement 800K is. There's no logic to it at all.

Not sure what you mean. The married requirement used to be 200,000 baht when the retired amount was 400,000 baht (many years ago). The 200 grand was never grandfathered for me. Mind you they changed the rules for my particular situation and I could no longer show money in the bank if have a Work Permit. Sorry - way off topic rant now.

Exactly. I can't understand why they don't issue another 30 day waiting extension like in years past. They don't even give the 30 day waiting extension the same day on my last extension. Have to go back the next day my last extension. That's all wrong for them to keep a passport overnight - against all passport rules by the passport issuing country. But what can we do ??? Nothing. I complained years ago and the Immigration officer blunty said - fine, here is your passport, no extension, leave the country today. I backed down very fast with profuse apologies.

Really? I've never had that happen. They gave me a 7 week extention (on the same day) when I handed in the paperwork. It looks to me like they definately have a serious problem coping with the ever increasing number of people wanting extentions.

Not sure what you mean. The married requirement used to be 200,000 baht when the retired amount was 400,000 baht (many years ago). The 200 grand was never grandfathered for me. Mind you they changed the rules for my particular situation and I could no longer show money in the bank if have a Work Permit. Sorry - way off topic rant now.

Retire with 800K in the bank, and in 20 years (theoretically) they'll still want to see the same. Married, the 400K could change at any time!

So can you get a retirement visa when married to a Thai & only need 400K in the bank for 3 months or do they just do the marriage visa which in the past always took one month for the paperwork to be done. Once they told me it was not ready after one month & same scenario, come back in a few days & don't worry about not having a stamp to cover the extra time.

Really? I've never had that happen. They gave me a 7 week extention (on the same day) when I handed in the paperwork. It looks to me like they definately have a serious problem coping with the ever increasing number of people wanting extentions.

They give only 30 days waiting extension from the date on last extension expiry. I suspect like me you applied 20+ days in advance (30 day max) = giving 7 weeks from the date of extension application.

But 30 days waiting extension is the maximum days. I go early to give then almost 2 months to get the Bangkok approval. That used to be enough time, but not enough time these past 2 years applications.

For sure the system has a serious problem. Look at what members say on the CM forum about the Chainag Mai Immigration problem. Much worse than Phuket Immigration ... but we are heading the same way.

So can you get a retirement visa when married to a Thai & only need 400K in the bank for 3 months or do they just do the marriage visa which in the past always took one month for the paperwork to be done. Once they told me it was not ready after one month & same scenario, come back in a few days & don't worry about not having a stamp to cover the extra time.

You are confusing retirement extension and married to Thai national extension. Not the same. Completely different application procedure. Retirement extension easy (I know cos one year I applied and the officer noted I had over 800 grand in the bank and said it would be easier for him to grant a retirement extension the same day. Ignored the fact that I had a WP and it was years before an officer noticed I was working and refused me a retirement visa smile.png), married extension difficult with more paperwork and interview with both parties. Can't even do the 400k with a WP these day, need proof of income and a mound more of paperwork.

You've been living a long time here and you also run a business and have a work permit. Shouldn't it be fairly easy for you to get permanent residency or even citizenship? Wonder if you ever tried to apply for either.

You've been living a long time here and you also run a business and have a work permit. Shouldn't it be fairly easy for you to get permanent residency or even citizenship? Wonder if you ever tried to apply for either.

Not really ... after 10 years of annual extensions I qualified for PR. I enquired at Phuket immigration and the officer just laughed at me, flatly stated I had no 'high' connections and it was well know that I never hand our brown envelopes. So I gave up on the PR idea.

For sure it's a possibility, but why bother. Cheaper to pay the 1,900 baht a year.

Citizenship ... not sure how that would even be possible. Once upon a time I did talk to a guy who wrangled a Thai passport our of the Hat Yai passport office. But why bother.

Not really ... after 10 years of annual extensions I qualified for PR. I enquired at Phuket immigration and the officer just laughed at me, flatly stated I had no 'high' connections and it was well know that I never hand our brown envelopes. So I gave up on the PR idea.

For sure it's a possibility, but why bother. Cheaper to pay the 1,900 baht a year.

Citizenship ... not sure how that would even be possible. Once upon a time I did talk to a guy who wrangled a Thai passport our of the Hat Yai passport office. But why bother.

When it comes to PR or Citizenship I wouldn't bother with the clowns in Phuket. Get a good lawyer and do it in BKK. I know it would take a lot of time (years) and cost quite a bit of money but once you get it done, you wouldn't have to ever deal with immigration again. I dunno, I think I would do it if I could. Not sure if I'll be around in Thailand by the time I'd qualify though.

BTW that response about high connections would piss me off to no end. That's just so corrupt that it's not even funny. What a <deleted> up place this is.

"after 10 years of annual extensions I qualified for PR. I enquired at Phuket immigration and the officer just laughed at me" - did that give you the sense of "belonging and acceptance" in Thailand? biggrin.png

As I am single, and under 50 years of age, I have never been through the process, but if I understand correctly, whilst the Dep't of Immigration hold your passport for 2 months, you can not leave Thailand should an emergency occur, or even plan a holiday abroad, during this time.

Seems an unacceptable time period to me.

"after 10 years of annual extensions I qualified for PR. I enquired at Phuket immigration and the officer just laughed at me" - did that give you the sense of "belonging and acceptance" in Thailand? biggrin.png

No way will I rise to your bait NKM gigglem.gif I see even more TV members taking this stance about you.

As I am single, and under 50 years of age, I have never been through the process, but if I understand correctly, whilst the Dep't of Immigration hold your passport for 2 months, you can not leave Thailand should an emergency occur, or even plan a holiday abroad, during this time.

Wrong. They don't hold your passport, and travel abroad can be done.

No way will I rise to your bait NKM gigglem.gif I see even more TV members taking this stance about you.

Such a deafeatist attitude LIK. :)

Wrong wrong. I don't see anyone posted that. They do not hold your passport for 2 months. They give a 30 day extension stamp while the 'married to Thai national' application is approved by Bangkok, used to be the same day, but this year they do hold passport until the next day to process the stamp. This is very wrong and worrying.

As you NKM plan never to marry a Thai then this should not be any problem.

I expect you might take the retirement route when you reach 50, then the approval is made here in Phuket and used to be the one year extension stamp is made immediately, Recently you have to wait til the next day.

Wrong wrong. I don't see anyone posted that. They do not hold your passport for 2 months. They give a 30 day extension stamp while the 'married to Thai national' application is approved by Bangkok, used to be the same day, but this year they do hold passport until the next day to process the stamp. This is very wrong and worrying.

As you NKM plan never to marry a Thai then this should not be any problem.

I expect you might take the retirement route when you reach 50, then the approval is made here in Phuket and used to be the one year extension stamp is made immediately, Recently you have to wait til the next day.

@ stevenl and LIK

Thanks for the clarification.

Never say never in Thailand. I may marry a Thai in the future. I'm certainly in no hurry.

To be honest, when I read about all the paperwork, which constantly changes, as per which side the Immigration Officer got out of bed, and the fact that I don't mind a few days away from Phuket, every few months, I'm not sure I will get a retirement visa when I turn 50.

Before anyone asks, I can easily meet ALL of the criteria, right now, except for being 50.

I may continue with the tourist visas until they cut me off. It just seems easier, and in a strange way, more empowering. You don't have to rely on a third party, or parties, for various documents, which means less running around and waiting in queues.

I just go to a Thai Consuate, submit the form, photo, passport, money and come back tomorrow. Rarely am I asked to show an air ticket leaving Thailand.

No need to keep up to date with current requirements, do a 90 day report, get bank statements, get a letter from my Foreign Office or tie up 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, get a re-enty permit etc etc.

I'll weigh it all up when I turn 50, but I am continually surprised at the never ending bureaucracy in the process. They are now asking for a photocopy of your ATM card - how ridiculous.

Who cares your a captive audience. O this is called a hoop jump through it.

When it comes to PR or Citizenship I wouldn't bother with the clowns in Phuket. Get a good lawyer and do it in BKK. I know it would take a lot of time (years) and cost quite a bit of money but once you get it done, you wouldn't have to ever deal with immigration again. I dunno, I think I would do it if I could. Not sure if I'll be around in Thailand by the time I'd qualify though.

BTW that response about high connections would piss me off to no end. That's just so corrupt that it's not even funny. What a <deleted> up place this is.

He was lucky to get a dishonest answer to an honest question. The answer he received certainly did not surprise him.

Archived