Car production rises but domestic sales drop

webfact

Car production rises but domestic sales drop

29-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Automotive Industry Association says car production last month rose by 13,% but sales in local market dropped.

The automotive club chairman of the committee on public relations Mr.Surapong Paisitpattanapong said automobile productions in August stood at 159,000 units, an increase of about 13 percent from the same period in the previous year.

He said that total vehicle productions in the past eight months currently stands at 1.26 million cars, 780,000 of which have already been exported.

He was confident that the target export of 1.2 million vehicles this year should be achieved as planned.

However he pointed out that domestic automotive sales remained low in the month of August, or 9.9 percent lower than last year’s figure during the same period.

He said that the targeted vehicle sales of at least 800,000 cars domestically for the year, would probably be missed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/car-production-rises-but-domestic-sales-drop

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-22

With personal debt rising, the last thing you you need is another car.!

Need/Want. Can mean the same thing in many places.

Anyway it could mean the 'new' car you buy next year might have been sitting for a couple of years in a field somewhere before you buy it.

I once bought a Lancia like that. Floor fell out after two years.??????

"targeted vehicle sales of at least 800,000 cars domestically for the year, would probably be missed."

So will recovery.

The Nation 2015-07-23

"TISCO FINANCIAL Group's chief executive has expressed concern that the economy will have remained at its current low point for longer than expected if domestic auto sales next year are below 800,000 units...Auto sales came in at less than 800,000 in 2014.

However, if sales in 2016 were unable to recover from the previous two years, it would mean the domestic economy had been subdued for a disturbingly long period...

"What we are worried about is the economy remaining at the bottom for a long time, unless the government can start investment to stimulate it in the second half [of this year] and the economy is able to pick up in the next 12 months,"

If Somkid is still Deputy PM through 2015, he will have a lot of pressure to significantly improve the economy for 2016. The first two quarters will lead the rest of the year. But with a structurally weak economic infrastructure, he may not have adequate tools to do so. The alternative would be to refocus on exports by substantially depreciating the baht, ie., Bt40=1 USD.

Government scheme has now ended no big surprise sales are down.

Agree, problem is this "government" does not see the scheme as pulling car sales forward and artificially inflating the market. It see's last year as last year as if people buy new cars every single year, very silly but what can you do.

Perhaps rather then the government launching these populist schemes and polices to buy public opinion they should steady the ship and work on increasing exports and sorting out corruption for real....

Yingluck's new car scheme was great, if you were affluent. Kids starting uni, buy them a new car each and the government subsidises you. Not a lot of good to the red shirt farmers though. How many people in the affluent west buy their first car new?

My idea is guaranteed to shift motors. Buy a new car over five years, pay what you can afford every month. After five years pay the balance. This mega deal would be secured against your house or land. Of course this would result in hundreds of thousands of homeless, landless people. But by then it would be a new government, and somebody else's problem. And Toyota would own millions of rai.

Only thing keeping the domestic market going at the moment is the proposed massive hike in new car tax on 1st Jan. It will add about 100-200k per family vehicle so they are trying to meet orders before the 1st Jan deadline.(I ordered my new Pajero Sport today with a delivery date of 1st week in December.) But next year I think the domestic new car market will be in deep s**t.

Only thing keeping the domestic market going at the moment is the proposed massive hike in new car tax on 1st Jan. It will add about 100-200k per family vehicle so they are trying to meet orders before the 1st Jan deadline.(I ordered my new Pajero Sport today with a delivery date of 1st week in December.) But next year I think the domestic new car market will be in deep s**t.

If the govt thinks that is a smart policy they are dumb. Cars in thailand are already heavily taxed, 100 to 200k more will kill the domestic market even more. With Asean will you be able to buy one outside Thailand and import it?

Yingluck's new car scheme was great, if you were affluent. Kids starting uni, buy them a new car each and the government subsidises you. Not a lot of good to the red shirt farmers though. How many people in the affluent west buy their first car new?

My idea is guaranteed to shift motors. Buy a new car over five years, pay what you can afford every month. After five years pay the balance. This mega deal would be secured against your house or land. Of course this would result in hundreds of thousands of homeless, landless people. But by then it would be a new government, and somebody else's problem. And Toyota would own millions of rai.

I think all the bankers would support this plan. It's the job of a good government to not let them have their way.