220 to 110 converter

GoDucks

This is probably off topic but... where to post?

I have been given a rather large 1500 W mixer/blender/juicer that is 110 (from the USA).

Quite frankly it looks nice and I want to use it--have not seen anything similar for sale here in Thailand. But the cheap, small 220 to 110 adapters obviously are not strong enough (tried and did not work).

Any suggestions on where to buy a big 220 to 110 adapter?

Last week a neighbor plugged a 120V, 1400W vacuum cleaner into a "200W" 220V-110V transformer (a family member had moved back from the U.S. and shipped their vacuum cleaner back to Thailand)....it immediately smoked the transformer and blew off the output socket of the transformer.

I told them such high wattage/amp appliances are just not suited to be used at a different voltage requiring a stepdown transformer because of the cost of the transformer and it large size. Best to have the proper voltage device so you can just plug them into the wall outlet. The family member should have sold the vacuum cleaner before moving back. Live and learn.

Just make sure the wattage.amperage output rating of the step down transformer is sufficient fo the appliance and you will not have any "burnt up transformer" problems.

Also many motors designed for 60 Hz run slower on Thailand's 50 Hz nd will suffer not only slower speeds, but shorter lives. Years ago, I brought my Milwaukee "Hole Shooter" corded electric drill over. That drill is a monster of power in the US. With the step down transformer, it ran sluggishly slow and had no power. I sent it back to a friend in the US.

I use a step down transformer with a coffee grinder every morning. I'm doing it because I couldn't get a decent consumer grade conical burr grinder here. It works great. But the slower you grind coffee, the better and a coffee grinder is never used for sustained periods. You may experience some serious power loss with the mixer, and it may not have the speed you need to whip up, for example, merengue. but you can try it. Just make sure the stepdown transformer's output rating exceeds 1,500 watts.

My stepdown transformer looks similar to the one pictured above and is a Simran AR-2000 automatic transformer/voltage regulator with a 2,000 watt output, available on Amazon US of $61.60US. http://www.amazon.com/Simran-2000-Continuous-Transformer-Stabilizer/dp/B000MX5PFU

Turn it off when not in use, as a transformer consumes electricity whenever it is activated, regardless of whether it is feeding an appliance. It is NOT a very efficient way to go.

• 2 months later...

Just make sure the wattage.amperage output rating of the step down transformer is sufficient fo the appliance and you will not have any "burnt up transformer" problems.

Also many motors designed for 60 Hz run slower on Thailand's 50 Hz nd will suffer not only slower speeds, but shorter lives. Years ago, I brought my Milwaukee "Hole Shooter" corded electric drill over. That drill is a monster of power in the US. With the step down transformer, it ran sluggishly slow and had no power. I sent it back to a friend in the US.

I use a step down transformer with a coffee grinder every morning. I'm doing it because I couldn't get a decent consumer grade conical burr grinder here. It works great. But the slower you grind coffee, the better and a coffee grinder is never used for sustained periods. You may experience some serious power loss with the mixer, and it may not have the speed you need to whip up, for example, merengue. but you can try it. Just make sure the stepdown transformer's output rating exceeds 1,500 watts.

My stepdown transformer looks similar to the one pictured above and is a Simran AR-2000 automatic transformer/voltage regulator with a 2,000 watt output, available on Amazon US of $61.60US. http://www.amazon.com/Simran-2000-Continuous-Transformer-Stabilizer/dp/B000MX5PFU

Turn it off when not in use, as a transformer consumes electricity whenever it is activated, regardless of whether it is feeding an appliance. It is NOT a very efficient way to go.

Thank you for the info reg. coffee grinder.

I just bought one from US for the same reason you mention; but then realized it is 110v.

I already bought a converter, but still waiting for the grinder to be delivered.

I am glad to hear, that it will work.

Do be aware that 60Hz motors running on 50Hz may run slow and/or overheat.

Probably not an issue with a blender as it's used in short bursts, but a workshop machine with a mains motor (older lathe etc) may run into difficulties.

Crossy is absolutely right. That's why the transformer did not work well with a n electric drill where speed and power is important. It would probably destroy the motor on a refrigerator.

But with your coffee grinder, no problem at all. It is a good match because most of the consumer grade burr grinders available here are crap, so importing one makes sense. A coffee grinder is only used once or twice a day in a short burst. And the slower you grind coffee the better!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my 'Breville' coffee grinder from USA and I bought a 220 to 110/120 volt converter (300w) from Amorn Electric.

It works perfect!.

I don't think the 60Hz to 50Hz change affect it, because when I set it to 3 cups of coffee, it gives me exactly the needed amount of coffee ground.

It is completely correct accordingly to my "coffee measurement spoon".

The negative side was, I had to pay a lot in import tax.

The price for the grinder was 182 US$ (6,370 Baht) and I had to pay 2,542 Baht (40%) in tax.

I have imported a number of items (including a 20,000 Baht watch from Japan) before and always paid around 10% in tax.

PS! The Breville coffe grinder is designed and engineered in Australia, made in China, send to USA and finally delivered and used in Thailand. A long trip!.

I just got my 'Breville' coffee grinder from USA and I bought a 220 to 110/120 volt converter (300w) from Amorn Electric.

It works perfect!.

I don't think the 60Hz to 50Hz change affect it, because when I set it to 3 cups of coffee, it gives me exactly the needed amount of coffee ground.

The price for the grinder was 182 US$ (6,370 Baht) and I had to pay 2,542 Baht (40%) in tax.

I have imported a number of items (including a 20,000 Baht watch from Japan) before and always paid around 10% in tax.

PS! The Breville coffe grinder is designed and engineered in Australia, made in China, send to USA and finally delivered and used in Thailand. A long trip!.

I have imported 10's of thousands of dollars worth of stuff from the US (including a nice conical burr grinder) and never paid one baht in tax. You are not doing it right.

It works perfect!.

I have imported 10's of thousands of dollars worth of stuff from the US (including a nice conical burr grinder) and never paid one baht in tax. You are not doing it right.

Would you enlighten all of us about "the right way"

It works perfect!.

Would you enlighten all of us about "the right way"

Anybody that is interested and is willing to pm me and talk on the phone, I'd be happy to. I do nothing illegal, but in this strange political environment, there are some things I just do not want to write about.