Thai airlines in safety concern list

webfact

The Bangkok Airways defective overwing exit, that Kim Samui reported, is indeed worrying.

I think Bangkok Airways operate an Airbus 319 on the Singapore route, with single overwing exits.- Total 6 exits

Other airlines such as Easyjet operate their 319's with double overwing exits.- Total 8 exits.

I would hazard a guess, that this is a "No Go" defect?

Any T.V. aviators like to comment?

I'm not familiar with Airbus aircraft or Thai regulations but I believe that only certain items of an emergency exit may be inoperative, however I don't believe that the exit itself is allowed to be inoperative.

AIRLINE
6 airlines from three countries on Korea's safety concern list

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Six foreign airlines from three countries, including Thailand, operating in South Korea are classified as having safety concerns, according to Yonhap news agency.

South Korea's Land, Infrastructure and Transport Ministry said the airlines were from Kazakhstan, Thailand and Indonesia, according to Yonhap.

The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) in July put 14 nations on the aviation-safety concern list.

Among them, four Thailand-registered budget airlines and Kazakhstan's Air Astana fly to and from South Korea.

"We will reflect the safety-evaluation results by the international organisations and advanced nations in banning new flights of airlines on the list and strengthen monitoring of them," the ministry said.

Foreign airlines account for about 38 per cent of international flights in the nation, according to the ministry.

According to CAPA Centre for Aviation, Thailand's new crop of |long-haul low-cost carriers have |been set back by new restrictions imposed by Japan and South Korea after an ICAO determination that Thailand's aviation authority was not in compliance with international safety standards.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/6-airlines-from-three-countries-on-Koreas-safety-c-30269431.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-24

So which are the Thai airlines in question?

I flew on Bangkok Air PG962 from Singapore on Monday Night to Samui.

One of the Exit Doors over the Starboard Wing had a piece of paper taped over the illuminated Exit Sign and a No Entry sign on the Exit Door.

I personally am getting concerned. This has to breach it's Airworthiness Certificate.

The Aircraft was 98% full.

sad.png

Had a similar experience with the TG 747 they used to run between BKK and lhr. They seemed to have considerable issues with an emergency exit door over the wing, but we still took off. Spent most of the flight looking at that door wondering if it was going to blow open mid flight and suck us out!

The four are Thai Airways, Thai AirAsia X, NokScoot and Asia Atlantic Airlines

A little ironic if Thai Airways is on their list, given that it rates higher on the 2015 JACDEC safety rankings than Korean Air!

(To be fair, Korean has enormously improved its safety culture since the carnage of the 1990s.)

This is a quote from the ICAO website: "A significant safety concern (SSC) does not necessarily indicate a particular safety deficiency in the air navigation service providers, airlines (air operators), aircraft or aerodrome; but, rather, indicates that the State is not providing sufficient safety oversight to ensure the effective implementation of applicable ICAO Standards."

So the ICAO is not rating the various airlines from each country, only expressing concern about safety standards in those 14 countries.

Of the 14 countries about which the ICAO has significant concerns, only 3 countries have airlines that fly to Korea. There are 6 carriers from those 3 countries, four of which are Thai, one is Indonesian, and one is Kazakh. The article is not giving the full picture, only the Korean perspective.

I flew on Bangkok Air PG962 from Singapore on Monday Night to Samui.

One of the Exit Doors over the Starboard Wing had a piece of paper taped over the illuminated Exit Sign and a No Entry sign on the Exit Door.

I personally am getting concerned. This has to breach it's Airworthiness Certificate.

The Aircraft was 98% full.

sad.png

I flew two ways one time on Thai Lion Air.

Both landings were noticeably amateurish. The first was so hard (second hardest I can recall in a lifetime of maybe 1,000+ flights; the first hardest was in a sideways gale) that a couple of bin doors delatched and the cabin staff facing me pulled a startled face and looked back with an annoyed expression towards the cockpit. When she turned to look at me we shared a "what the f was that" moment.

I'm not saying TLA are on that list, but it did set me wondering whether Thailand really has the systems to train pilots to a good standard given the very rapid industry expansion of the last 10 years. Is that one of the points on the report that has put Thailand on watch? We will never know - the customer must not find out!

there must be sufficient exits to allow people to exit the plane as quickly as possible variable on size of plane.

Plane evacuation is supposed to be within 90 seconds. I doubt if many airlines could in a real event achieve that

I wonder:

- Are there any international or Thai laws or seller recommendations about how often all doors have to be opened and tested that they are working correctly?

- Does that include deploying the shoots / slides that inflate the the ancillary equipment involved?

- How often is this done by the engineering / maintenance / safety staff?

- How often are there refresher courses on all of this for cabin crew, and do they actually attend?