Firefox issue

TheCruncher

So I have that long time issue that Firefox doesn't want to auto update, and that I feel there are other things wrong with it, so I decided to uninstall and start with a fresh copy.

I export my bookmarks, uninstall Firefox and firefox maintenace, and delete according folders in my program files after which I restart my PC.

Next I open Explorer and install a fresh copy of Firefox. It doesn't ask me for any log in or whatever, but when I open Firefox, all my bookmarks - settings and add ons are already in place.

Am I missing something?

ok it would seem that possibly after uninstall their are still folders attached to f/f that you need to get rid of

i suggest you download O BIT uninstaller uninstall F/F also take the option of what they call deep clean or similar this will take away any hidden folders related to F/F

but on reinstal if you use the same log on info as before it may from memory, instal all the stuff you were trying to dispose of

might help ??

ok it would seem that possibly after uninstall their are still folders attached to f/f that you need to get rid of

i suggest you download O BIT uninstaller uninstall F/F also take the option of what they call deep clean or similar this will take away any hidden folders related to F/F

but on reinstal if you use the same log on info as before it may from memory, instal all the stuff you were trying to dispose of

might help ??

Installed IObit uninstaller, which installed a bunch of unwanted programs itself, and uninstalled Firefox and Mozilla maintenance using the deep scan formula.

Restarted the PC and ran CC-cleaner, which cleaned the registry.

Downloaded Firefox, which again didn't ask for any log in or whatever, and opened with all my previous settings in place. facepalm.gif

The easiest way to reset Firefox to the factory defaults whilst retaining your data is this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

This cures most problems.

If you want to delete a profile (profiles are where your personal data is stored) do this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles

After you uninstall Firefox, delete these folders. That's where the profiles are stored.

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Mozilla\

{username} = your user name

Then install Firefox again and you will have a fresh install.

I use the FEBE extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/febe/

to backup all my extensions, bookmarks, preferences etc. before I uninstall Firefox and restore them after I install a fresh copy. Great extension since it saves a lot of time not having to set everything up again.

Edited by BirdieMan

@RigPig, you should know better. Even if you install Ubuntu, you still have to install Firefox; so that does not make any difference with any other O.S.

The Sync function in FF, even in your phone, can also give you back what you did not want anymore.

Do a regular uninstall of firefox.

Go into search, type in: firefox, and begin your search.

If remnants of firefox appear on the found list, right click each one and delete them.

Next, install the latest version of firefox. Then open your firefox browser. Go into Tools, then options and adjust the settings to suit.

Next go into Add ons and after that, Extensions, to check whether there are items you want to delete and items you wish to add.

Firefox is dead anyway !

Slower and slower even on newest machines.

Only Chrome does the job nowadays.

I`ll go along with that, it`s just that I prefer an independent browser away from Google.

Everything seems to be connected with Google these days and hate the way they connect all our Google services together. It`s not possible to customise Google Chrome unless signed it, that connects to gmail, Google Plus and Utube.

I export my bookmarks, uninstall Firefox and firefox maintenace, and delete according folders in my program files after which I restart my PC.

Exporting your bookmarks writes them out to a file, but does not delete anything.

If you want to go absolutely clean and fresh, go to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles and either delete that directory or perhaps zip it up and put it somewhere for safekeeping (just in case you find out later you need something from it). Or you can do a little experimenting and learn how the file

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini

works.