Extend my stay to 60 days

Hi Guys - I know this will be a question about visas but I wanted to post in Samui section as my house is there and I know some of you

I normally visit Samui three times a year for 28 days using the visa on arrival however I would like to extend this to 56 days (so looking for a 60 day visa)

Is it true that I can extend my 30 day visa at the immigration centre in Nathon to 60 days (believe the cost is 1,900 baht) - and if so how do you get around the fact that the departing flight would be later than the visa on arrival expiry date

I'm sure I could change the return flights but that involves a cost and inconvenience

Any help would be appreciated

T 40

Firstly yes you can extend the initial visa exemption for a further 30 days 1900 baht.

The biggest issue you may encounter is boarding the flight to Thailand without a return ticket within the 30 days.

I was stopped at Heathrow earlier in the year with Qatar Airways flying on a single ticket.

I jumped out of the check in line and purchased a cheap ticket with air Asia to Kuala Lumpur,they were satisfied as I had proof of onward travel.

Maybe you can do the same or one better just obtain a single entry tourist visa save all the hassle and cost of extensions and extra tickets you won't use.

Edited by stoneyboy

This onward travel thing is pretty straightforward...when they ask just tell them you will be making a trip to Vietnam or whatever.

I've never been forced to produce documentation of this...maybe flying biz class they assume I'm not going to bleed Thailand dry lol

Hi SB - I reside in Sussex UK

HI S36 - I will have a return ticket but two months after departure - so from what you say I could state that I've got a trip to say Vietnam during that time

In the end though - booking a flight with a 30 day departure date would be not too expensive to change to 30 day later (EVA/BKK Airways) after a trip to immigration to extend

OK so book flights for the two months eva and bkk airways and at the same time the surat to kl flight before the 30 day visa runs out and then extend at nathon immigration

Yes but the flight should be very close to the 30 day mark. That way, if immigration asked to see a flight out within 30 days of the extension then you have one [edit] the BA/AVA air flight.. They never ask but if they do then you have one. Does that make sense?

Edited by notmyself

My exact predictament flying from the US last time. Didn't want to hassle with non-o visa. You're pretty much at the mercy of the person at the check-in counter. I booked my return flight within the 30 days and later when in Thailand I changed my return date. Believe I flew EVA. The best airline with an open ended return date is China Airlines. Good Luck.......

Why don't you just get a 60 day tourist visa from the consulate before you come?

Cheaper and less hassle.

OK thanks - so I looked up the Thai Consulate in London and if you apply in person you have to go again the next day to pick it up and I live in Sussex - I guess can do by post though...

Why don't you just get a 60 day tourist visa from the consulate before you come?

Cheaper and less hassle.

OK thanks - so I looked up the Thai Consulate in London and if you apply in person you have to go again the next day to pick it up and I live in Sussex - I guess can do by post though...

You have to pay by postal order which is an additional cost. If you are going to do it that way then send to a consulate rather than Thai embassy.

[edit]

London is the Thai embassy (not consulate) and a nightmare. Use Liverpool or Hull.

Edited by notmyself

Cheaper and less hassle.

You have to pay by postal order which is an additional cost. If you are going to do it that way then send to a consulate rather than Thai embassy.

Thanks - all this is making a border run seem attractive (although probably not by mini bus)

London is the Thai embassy (not consulate) and a nightmare. Use Liverpool or Hull.

Thanks - all this is making a border run seem attractive (although probably not by mini bus)

No need as you can get a 30 day extension.

I'll knock something out but please excuse me as I popped out to see a friend who likes the odd G&T. Feeling a little buzzed...

Turn up at airport without visa. Check in staff ask if you have a return (or outbound) ticket within 30 days. Yes you do (Surat - KL). After 28 days you go to immigration for extension. They may (don't but may) ask if you have a ticket out of Thailand and you do (the BA/ EVA air return). Job done. 30+30<56.

So only next day service in London huh. I'm from London myself but don't have any property so stay with my sister in Liverpool when I visit during the summer. I phone up and book an appointment a week or so before I leave because you have to book it. Generally takes 30-40 minutes but this time it was raining out.. You ladies fancy a coffee? Went to Café Nero then returned to have a chat while my triple entry was being processed. Easy for me as the consulate is 18 minutes away (4 trains an hour too) and I don't like being without a passport. Being in Sussex is a bit of a trip and if you have to return next day it is going to cost you time and money.

So I picked up my triple at 10:30 then flew out late afternoon on the same day. I only fly Emirates but Lufthansa offered 300 quid return so took it. I got what I paid for to be honest. Got to immigration at Samui airport (flight was from KL) and was asked what I am doing. I said reading and making food so we spoke for a short while. Turns out I know her father who is a chef in NSiT.

Aside from all of this.. If you are willing to not have a passport for a period of time (I'm not) then I agree with the member who suggested getting a single entry tourist visa. I wouldn't myself but then I'm a ****.

Safe trip.