Upgrade Your Tourist Visa To Non-imm 'o In Thailand

It's so difficult to keep tabs on all the many hundreds of recent postings on the many topics relating to visas, and visa regulations, so please forgive me if I am repeating some well nown information.

Yesterday, I went to the Pattaya Immigration Office to apply for a further retirement extension to my Non-Immigarant 'O' Visa. Whilst I was waiting, I started talking with a USA man beside me. He asked me what I was applying for and I told him. He then told me that he had come in two days ago to apply for an extension to his Tourist Visa. He was told that because he was over 50 years old, if he could provide a supporting letter from the USA Embassy, evidence of appropriate financial means and a medical certificate, he would be able to upgrade his Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa for 2,000 baht at the Immigration Office, without leaving Thailand, and, at the same time, apply for a 1-year extension to this up-graded visa, on retirement criteria, for 1,900 baht (normal fee). So, yesterday, he paid 3,900 baht and was told to return today to collect his passport with an upgraded visa and a 1-year extension.

I remember that, about 5 years ago, the Immigration Bureau had introduced this facility at the HQ in Bangkok...it was called a "One-Stop-Shop" at the time. The Immigration Officer at Pattaya told him that this facility had been introduced to Pattaya Office because of the confusion and anxiety that the proposed changes to the visa rules were causing!

I remember that, about 5 years ago, the Immigration Bureau had introduced this facility at the HQ in Bangkok...it was called a "One-Stop-Shop" at the time. The Immigration Officer at Pattaya told him that this facility had been introduced to Pattaya Office because of the confusion and anxiety that the proposed changes to the visa rules were causing!

This reinforces a point I made elsewhere on the forum, in general, I think the immigration folks try to be helpful. Many farangs seem to be paranoid when dealing with them (and maybe they have reason to be) but if you meet the requirements for whatever you want to do, they will grant it to you. This has always been my experience.

As I read once on the forum, just remember that the immigration bureau is a part of the Royal Thai Police and that the folks staffing the immigration offices are police officers (albeit assigned to desk duties) and their job is to enforce the immigration laws of Thailand. They are not part of the Tourist Authority of Thailand and their job is not to encourage or promote tourism or retirements to Thailand or bend the law/rules to allow those not qualified to stay in Thailand in order to boost Thailand's tourism/retiree Numbers or revenues.

This has been available for some time on a tourist visa with 21 days or more remaining. Recently they have ignored the 21 day requirement and (do to the new visa regulations) seem to be allowing the same change from 30 day entry without visa (at least until the end of this month).

As I noted on a prior thread, visa exemption entry stamp into Retirement Visa can likewise be done in Bangkok:

Armed with excellent webpage instructions from another poster, I did just that. No Consular letter on income was needed as I was going the Baht 800,000 bank account route. The required list of documents did not include a medical certificate but I got that one anyway at a Bangkok hospital just in case.

Issuance of 90 day retirement visa was quick--took about 15 minutes. HOWEVER, getting it upgraded to a 1 year visa required entering a different queue and a 4 hour wait!! The requirement of having 21 days left on your entry stamp is being waived--for now-- mine was due to expire October 6.

The final step of getting the multiple re-entry stamp took just 10 minutes.

I now have in hand a 1 year multiple re-entry retirement "O" visa.

One word of warning: the female officer in the retirement visa section warned me that if I failed to file prior to October 1 I might be faced with new regulations on the Baht 800,000 bank account requirement. As it was, I was required to state that the money in the account had been earned entirely in Thailand while I was previously working under a Work Permit. Don't know if this is really a requirement.

I agree with JohnnieB. If you qualify for the visa/permit you are applying for, you'll get it. I went to the government office here in Chiang Mai to get a work permit for my new pub and they said they needed to visit to ensure the business was bona fide and that my wife and I were genuinely married. They filled in all the paperwork for me and as soon as the pub opens they will visit us and grant me the work permit. Those are the new rules and provided my wife, I and our business is kosher, which they are, they have asured us that there'll be no problem......When I say, 'they assured US' I mean they assured my wife...dont atempt to try this on your on without a fluent Thai speaker with you- I'd have got hopelessly lost on my own!

This has been available for some time on a tourist visa with 21 days or more remaining. Recently they have ignored the 21 day requirement and (do to the new visa regulations) seem to be allowing the same change from 30 day entry without visa (at least until the end of this month).

"Recently they have ignored the 21 day requirement"

To-day in my case NOT in BKK. (The famous "discretion of the officer"??)

I may not complain: everything quite smooth and nice and helpfull officers but on the first floor she saw lack of days and was sent down again to obtain an extension up-to 21 days (3 days 1.900 Baht) and a lot of copies I needed for upstairs (marriage-visa). To the first floor again, lack of copies of course, relaxed interview, 2.000 Baht and back for the result after 6 days.

As I noted on a prior thread, visa exemption entry stamp into Retirement Visa can likewise be done in Bangkok:

Armed with excellent webpage instructions from another poster, I did just that. No Consular letter on income was needed as I was going the Baht 800,000 bank account route. The required list of documents did not include a medical certificate but I got that one anyway at a Bangkok hospital just in case.

Can anyone tell me where they want to see the THB 800,000 -- in a Thai bank account, or will they accept a foreign bank account?

Edited by AsiaCheese

Can anyone tell me where they want to see the THB 800,000 -- in a Thai bank account, or will they accept a foreign bank account?
Where? At the immigration office, when you apply for an annual extension of permission to stay based on retirement, if you do not have a letter from your embassy confirming that you have a pension and/or other income of 65,000 per month.

The money has to be in a Thai savings account, transferred from abroad (unless you were working in Thailand and the money is from savings accrued from your local income)

---------------

Maestro

Where? At the immigration office, when you apply for an annual extension of permission to stay based on retirement, if you do not have a letter from your embassy confirming that you have a pension and/or other income of 65,000 per month.

The money has to be in a Thai savings account, transferred from abroad (unless you were working in Thailand and the money is from savings accrued from your local income)

---------------

Maestro

The money does not have to come from outside thailand. It merely has to be in the Thai savings or check account bank book. Also you need the bank to give you a letter stating the amount on deposit. Bangkok bank charges 150 baht for this here in Phuket

• 1 year later...

I suspect that my query has been raised on the Forum previously but the Forum expands rapidly with related Visa and Immigration topics and I thought that I'd seek up-to-date information. I did carry out a search and found the quoted post by Lopburi3, dated 28th September 2006.

Scenario: Time Scale to Change Entry Stamp to Non- Immigrant "O" Visa

UK National, old enough (56) and with sufficient pension income to meet retirement criteria, intends to arrive in Thailand next week with a 30-day Entry Stamp and stay for two weeks.

In that time he would like to change his Entry Stamp status to a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, with the immediate intention of obtaining a 12-month extension to this visa on retirement criteria. At the same time, he would apply for a Re-Entry Permit so that he can return to Thailand, on a one-way flight, sometime in August. (He needs to return to the UK for two months to clear some personal affairs).

Is this feasible within that two-week time window? Mr. Lopburi3, are they still allowing the same change from 30 day entry without a visa?

(He is aware that he needs ratification of his pension from the British Embassy , a letter from his Thai bank confirming his account and his deposit and confirmation of his address whilst in Thailand).

Thank you for your views and advice on this one. :o

Yes but the 21 day requirement is now enforced. There have been two different experiences - in one case you obtain the single entry 90 day non immigrant visa and extend during the last 30 days of the permitted to stay stamp and in the other you obtain both at the same time. Suspect if you are using Embassy income letter or have the required 3 month age on your bank account it can be done immediately.

In either case it would appear to fit your plans.

Yes but the 21 day requirement is now enforced. There have been two different experiences - in one case you obtain the single entry 90 day non immigrant visa and extend during the last 30 days of the permitted to stay stamp and in the other you obtain both at the same time. Suspect if you are using Embassy income letter or have the required 3 month age on your bank account it can be done immediately.

In either case it would appear to fit your plans.

That's great. Thank you makmak, Mr. Lopburi3