Thai Baht Predictions?

BFC

Very interested in hearing opinions on the subject of how Thai baht exchange rate will be (or not) affected by the new political situation here in LOS.

strangely enough ( IMO ) baht strenghtened against USD since last week's coup (37.35 to 37.15 today) . I can't find an explaination for this. are foreign investments started coming like crazy recently and baht is in higher demand?

Is it time to withdraw thai cash from the bank account and convert it into USD or Euro to make sure you don't loose in value ?

will really appreciate your guys thoughts on the subject

Edited by BFC

My day job is in foreign exchange.

Apart from the initial 24 hours when the baht fell all of 1% it has since corrected and we are back to where it was before. All this year the baht has slowly strengthened against the dollar but it is marginal and against the popund it has remained very steady.

Unless the new military do something drastic which will affect investor perspective , there is no reason to suppose the rate will change from where it is . If something suddenly happens then you may want to take quick action , but whilst calm prevails , leave it alone.

These sort of questions never cease to amaze me: naïveté personified at best.

Is the OP expecting to glean some meaningful info here? :o

The best he can hope for is the 'expert' advice of someone working in the FX industry.

One has to wonder why such 'experts' have to work at all, as surely if they could predict the markets they would have made their fortunes long ago and now being wallowing in their wealth.

They obviously are not: QED... :D

to be honest it's been my really only slight concern in this coup, that of the thai baht's fx..rest is thailands business as far as im concerned, oviously sincerely hope all works out for them... luckily I only have to worry about having to get out of here if it does slump because we'd be well worse off financially..at least if you do anything with your money other than live in thailand and drink beer....i'm no economics wizard...but we've seen what can happen....i think if I did have a lump of capital here i'd be getting it back to my account in ireland...which i already use, and will always perfectly function for me while here, to borrow of regularly...theres many more stable economys to safeguard what you own..i'd suspect your home country has one... "I can do whatever the hel_l i like with my money, but darn it if i'm not going to be the one to do it" !! better safe than sorry with your cash...although i have no idea if the thai authorities are or arent so keen on people taking large amounts of money out of thailand.....i've only ever transferred like 40,000 whic only costs you 500 baht or so...

All this year the baht has slowly strengthened against the dollar but it is marginal and against the pound it has remained very steady.

All a matter of perception.

Has the Baht strengthened or did the Dollar fall?

The latter seems to be suggested, by the stability against the Pound. :o