VW diesel scandal: Belgium says 500,000 cars ‘suspicious’

Lite Beer

VW diesel scandal: Belgium says 500,000 cars ‘suspicious’

606x341_314196.jpg

Following Switzerland’s ban on sales of some Volkswagen diesel models over the emissions scandal, action is being taken in Belgium too.

A major importing firm, D’Ieteren, has suspended sales of cars whose engines are considered susceptible to manipulation. Reports say 3,200 vehicles are affected.

It’s thought half a million cars have the type of engine that allows tampering.

The government says the brands involved are Volkswagen, Audi, Skoda and Seat.

Economy Minister Kris Peeters told Het Laatste Nieuws that half a million cars were “suspicious”.

“There’s definitely a problem, in Belgium as well. We think there’s a maximum of 500,000 cars that were sold in Belgium. The exact number isn’t clear, because it’s not known how how many of them have the software,” he said.

European officials including the Commission’s vice-president say EU laws could be changed to introduce tougher emissions tests in the wake of the Volkswagen rigging scandal.

While Volkswagen is being urged to be totally transparent, its reputation at stake.

“Volkswagen is still a very important brand. I do not think that this scandal will affect many buyers,” said one man in Rome, questioned about the scandal.

“Germans have taught us a lot, and they still teach us. They are the best,” said another man, before adding mischievously: “The best thieves!”

Switzerland’s temporary move comes in the wake of the emission tests scandal and could affect 180,000 cars not yet sold or registered in the country.

The ban does not apply to vehicles already on the road or cars with Euro6 emission category engines.

New Volkswagen CEO Matthias Mueller said his most urgent task is to win back trust.

“Acting carefully is more important than acting quickly,” said Mueller. “It’s imperative that this kind of thing can never happen again at Volkswagen which is why the group is going to enforce even stricter standards of compliance and governance. That is my commitment.”

Meanwhile regulators and prosecutors around the world are investigating the issue while investors and customers are launching lawsuits.

“Well it’s incredibly damaging,” said :Robert Haigh, Marketing and Communications Director, Brand Finance. “The sheer scale of it and the deliberate nature means it will really have a very significant impact on VW’s brand. The damage done already could amount to 10 billion dollars wiped off its intangible value.”

Volkswagen said 11 million vehicles worldwide were fitted with cheating software.

Customers and motor dealers are furious because they say Volkswagen has yet to specify which vehicles models and years of manufacture are affected, and whether cars are going to be recalled for refits.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2015-09-26

This diesel-gate is making a mountain out of a molehill. So what if the exhaust is not so clean ? It is still cleaner than 10-20 years ago AND dieselfuel consumption with these new engines is far less.

Overregulated EU & US must have a different agenda for coming down hard on VW.

The cars are still a lot cleaner than here in Thailand .

This diesel-gate is making a mountain out of a molehill. So what if the exhaust is not so clean ? It is still cleaner than 10-20 years ago AND dieselfuel consumption with these new engines is far less.

I think it makes a big difference to the companies that didn't cheat and I think it makes a big difference to keeping everyone from cheating in the future.

This really isn't just about emissions. It's about regulations, honesty and corruption.

Bull sxxx. period.

What happens to people who have already bought these cars and who have been driving them in good faith but they no longer meet emissions standards. What are VW going to do about these cars? I read somewhere that VW's fix is to reduce the available power of the car by 20% but I would be unhappy if the car test drove and bought now has 20% less power....I want my money back!

....but I would be unhappy if the car test drove and bought now has 20% less power....I want my money back!

Get in line. It's going to be a long (and expensive) one.

Gotta wonder how many auto makers went the other way. They could have tweaked the computer to give people a great test drive for the first 1000 miles, then apply the full emissions control once the car was sold.

And on a serious note, I wonder how many aftermarket performance chips are going to be implicated with a similar defeat function...

Edited by impulse

I think it makes a big difference to the companies that didn't cheat and I think it makes a big difference to keeping everyone from cheating in the future.

This really isn't just about emissions. It's about regulations, honesty and corruption.

You mention other companies that did not cheat hmm "birds of a feather flock together" as my old grandmother used to say.

Recently, VW overtook Toyota for international market sales dominance. They are in a predicament - do they come "clean" (excuse the pun) or try to wait this out. Either way, there are going to be huge international lawsuits. And it is going to cost VW. Already investors are dumping the stock and the price of shares has plunged. I suggest sales of all vehicles from the VW stable, including their petrol cars will plummet. If you hold shares in VW, time to dump them. Like the fumes from VW exhausts, they are toxic. And the German economy and prestige will suffer.

The german company as a lot to take care of but cheating on the software is also like we would say it give any one of us to do what we like about performance and fuel saving a bit like tweaking a pc at home.

The authority that found any suspicious behaviour with the software are probably the one that would use that software for furthor reference and they will cloolect a huge amount of money to do so.

For myself if I would hav one of these car I would keep it that way and disregard the governement policy

There is nothing innovative about the software used to cheat emission tests. It can be recreated by any competent auto software developer. I wouldn't be surprised that there are more auto manufacturers that engaged in this kind of deception. That might explain the relative silence from the auto industry on what VW has done.

The german company as a lot to take care of but cheating on the software is also like we would say it give any one of us to do what we like about performance and fuel saving a bit like tweaking a pc at home.

The authority that found any suspicious behaviour with the software are probably the one that would use that software for furthor reference and they will cloolect a huge amount of money to do so.

For myself if I would hav one of these car I would keep it that way and disregard the governement policy

Some countries have strict emissions tests and when renewing the annual tax and car license, it might get denied. That would be a big problem for a lot of people, especially if you need your car for work.

I am starting to think that this cheating lifestyle is becoming the new normal. Every week its a different one in the news, banks, libor, precious metals, now cars, politicians (the worst) coups Blatter and that is just off the top of my troubled head. Apparently the guy in charge of VW will ride off into the sunset with a ton of money. Where will it all end? When will one of these slim balls go to jail for life.? The politicians are just paying lip service to these problems and as they are in the hip pocket of big business and I can understand why. Its really sickening but we really seem helpless in these matter abandoned by all those elected to protect us.