Prayut must be judged by Thais, not outsiders

webfact

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is part of the global ecconomy.Thailand has many international ties and treaties. Thailand has benefitted from very large international investments. When a military General decides to take over the country it is unthinkable that his actions and performance should not be judged by all who have a concern for the future of Thailand. His 'good people' will surely find the things that he does to benefit them to be wonderful, but many others at the other end of the barrel, may not agree. If no dissent or critical opinions can be expressed. then there can be no reconcillation, only the increasing use of suppression leading to the illusion of acceptance.A calm before the storm.

Agreed, and the yeahs have it clap2.gif

As usual, the foreign armchair democrats know what is best for Thailand bah.gif

Why are westerners so sure that a western style democracy is the right choice for Thailand? Very few Asian nations have implemented that successfully, and often at the cost of losing parts of their own traditions.

Because most westerners are arrogant/ignorant (bipolar) religious believers in the very systems, that they (themselves) now refuse to live under. Democracy no longer exists, even in the U.S., if the truth be told. The Patriot Act brought an end to that American Dream. So, the farang armchair democrats (as you call them) have got nothing better to do with their empty LOS lives, than to sit in their armchair pretentious "high-horses", while passing judgement against a man (Gen. Prayuth) who had balls enough to STAND-UP for his people. Just ignore the armchair crowd, and give Gen.Prayuth Chan-o-cha the stand-up salute that he deserves. For whatever the right or wrong of it may be (according to Thai people, only), nobody's perfect, but at least the Thai rice farmers have been finally paid (with interest) the money they honestly earned, thanks to Gen.Prayuth and his constituencycoffee1.gif

Do you actually believe your own drivel that you write?

Stand up for the people? He is the puppet for his side of the elite just like Yingluck was for her brother.

So Thais must live under repressive military juntas because it is 'traditional?' should the UK and other European nations go back to living under kings and queens to then? Good grief!

If you are a foreigner, like me, then what do you care, one-way, or another?. I'm just writing the opinions of the Thai people whom I personally know. Nothing more than that. So, call it drivel, if that makes you feel better about your "own" opinions. God Bless you! However, if you are not a Thai citizen, then the issue is really none of your business, or mine, to use as an excuse for launching insults at another poster. You poor baby. Its a purely an academic debate, dude. Right, good grief, as you wrote. You're the one who needs to really chill out, whistling.gif

Because most westerners are arrogant/ignorant (bipolar) religious believers in the very systems, that they (themselves) now refuse to live under.

A bold statement my friend. I'm almost afraid to ask where you got that particular factoid. Bold indeed.

He should stop interrupting my English pay TV subscription service on a Friday night if that is the case.

Thats nonsense you're spouting, and you know it.
Are you trying to set a new record for number of troll posts in one day??

It's called a sense of humour,making light of a bad situation.

Yes, I got that but my post was a reply to NativeSon.

Why are westerners so sure that a western style democracy is the right choice for Thailand? Very few Asian nations have implemented that successfully, and often at the cost of losing parts of their own traditions.

Because most westerners are arrogant/ignorant (bipolar) religious believers in the very systems, that they (themselves) now refuse to live under. Democracy no longer exists, even in the U.S., if the truth be told. The Patriot Act brought an end to that American Dream. So, the farang armchair democrats (as you call them) have got nothing better to do with their empty LOS lives, than to sit in their armchair pretentious "high-horses", while passing judgement against a man (Gen. Prayuth) who had balls enough to STAND-UP for his people. Just ignore the armchair crowd, and give Gen.Prayuth Chan-o-cha the stand-up salute that he deserves. For whatever the right or wrong of it may be (according to Thai people, only), nobody's perfect, but at least the Thai rice farmers have been finally paid (with interest) the money they honestly earned, thanks to Gen.Prayuth and his constituencycoffee1.gif

Do you actually believe your own drivel that you write?

Stand up for the people? He is the puppet for his side of the elite just like Yingluck was for her brother.

So Thais must live under repressive military juntas because it is 'traditional?' should the UK and other European nations go back to living under kings and queens to then? Good grief!

You've just fed a troll..coffee1.gif

Of course the PM must be judged by Thai's, he is the Thai PM, unelected maybe but we are where we are. It is a pretty obvious statement that really does not need to be said, like any PM his first duty must always be to his / her country and the people that live in it and the people having confidence in the PM's ability to "steer the ship" means everything.

However, the World is changing every year and Thailand heavily relies on export and International trade. So, if the UN states concern over human rights, people trafficking and blatant corruption it also has a duty. If Thailand take a stance of "you are not my father" then yes he may win praise from the local people for looking strong and backing the country but what abut the human rights issues? Will they not be tackled? Also, how will the people feel if trade sanctions are imposed and thailand starts to lose huge levels of business?

The backlash of this could be terrible wit companies closing down, foreign investment starts to dwindle, foreign companies start to look at relocating to a politically more stable country, etc.

So, the role of a PM nowadays is more then just keeping your people happy, it is a role where you must have some say or influence in International matters if you want your country to survive and thrive in todays world. This means being careful what you say and doing the right thing and making tough decisions.

Unfortunately this PM rules in the interests of and with the support of only one particular faction of the country. This faction is infused with face, status and xenophobia so they choose to ignore, or possibly just don't believe, the effects of international opinion and actions which you describe.

We will probably soon see the first manifestations of that denial with sanctions looming over the fishing industry, human trafficking and mismanagement of civil aviation. Thailand will start to hurt, and the first to hurt will be working people - the group who have no say in who forms the government.

Of course many (similar ) allegations of incompetence, mismanagement and corruption can ( and are ) made against the previous elected government. The difference is that, if the constitution had been followed last year, that government could have been removed by the people and replaced with one chosen by the people.

If the present one is changed it is likely to be effected by the coterie it serves, who will also select it's replacement.

Jag, I suspect you are right. The consequences will be felt by the poor and working people for sure, the elite (for want of better term) will hardly be effected on a personal level.

But whatever they say or believe the consequences are the same. Wrapping themselves in their bubble and convincing themselves the status quo is acceptable is just a mark of their arrogance and stupidity.

Thailand deserves so much better then this, we can all only hope one day a true leader is elected to steer Thailand out of its past. I can't help but find it sad.

He should stop interrupting my English pay TV subscription service on a Friday night if that is the case.

Yes! Now does this troll make you happy? Can you also begin to contribute something significant to the OP, or do you just get your cookies off, by trying to start arguments with other posters? And you call me a troller! Ha? whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

Of course the PM must be judged by Thai's, he is the Thai PM, unelected maybe but we are where we are. It is a pretty obvious statement that really does not need to be said, like any PM his first duty must always be to his / her country and the people that live in it and the people having confidence in the PM's ability to "steer the ship" means everything.

However, the World is changing every year and Thailand heavily relies on export and International trade. So, if the UN states concern over human rights, people trafficking and blatant corruption it also has a duty. If Thailand take a stance of "you are not my father" then yes he may win praise from the local people for looking strong and backing the country but what abut the human rights issues? Will they not be tackled? Also, how will the people feel if trade sanctions are imposed and thailand starts to lose huge levels of business?

The backlash of this could be terrible wit companies closing down, foreign investment starts to dwindle, foreign companies start to look at relocating to a politically more stable country, etc.

So, the role of a PM nowadays is more then just keeping your people happy, it is a role where you must have some say or influence in International matters if you want your country to survive and thrive in todays world. This means being careful what you say and doing the right thing and making tough decisions.

Unfortunately this PM rules in the interests of and with the support of only one particular faction of the country. This faction is infused with face, status and xenophobia so they choose to ignore, or possibly just don't believe, the effects of international opinion and actions which you describe.

We will probably soon see the first manifestations of that denial with sanctions looming over the fishing industry, human trafficking and mismanagement of civil aviation. Thailand will start to hurt, and the first to hurt will be working people - the group who have no say in who forms the government.

Of course many (similar ) allegations of incompetence, mismanagement and corruption can ( and are ) made against the previous elected government. The difference is that, if the constitution had been followed last year, that government could have been removed by the people and replaced with one chosen by the people.

If the present one is changed it is likely to be effected by the coterie it serves, who will also select it's replacement.

Jag, I suspect you are right. The consequences will be felt by the poor and working people for sure, the elite (for want of better term) will hardly be effected on a personal level.

But whatever they say or believe the consequences are the same. Wrapping themselves in their bubble and convincing themselves the status quo is acceptable is just a mark of their arrogance and stupidity.

Thailand deserves so much better then this, we can all only hope one day a true leader is elected to steer Thailand out of its past. I can't help but find it sad.

What I find to be so unfathomable is that there is so much effort (by foreign guests of the Kingdom) put into criticizing the Thai government, when most of you blokes come from western countries that are in a condition of total political chaos.

If the Thai government is (in your considered opinions) in such chaotic disarray, then why don't you brilliant political geniuses just go home,......back to the place where you actually have the citizen's "right" to cast a responsible vote, for a change! Huh?

Na! You blokes would rather hide away, in the LOS, bashing & ragging about the business of someone else's house, rather than go back home, stand-up to be counted, as a political janitor, working "intelligently" to clean-up the house, where you come from, instead.

Some of you blokes (posting to this forum) really do need to grow the F-UP, for heaven sake! Thailand, as a nation, has been politically very good to us foreigners. Count your blessings, or move to Malaysia, if you believe Thailand has been so bad to you. Enough, children! Goodnitecoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

What I find to be so unfathomable is that there is so much effort (by foreign guests of the Kingdom) put into criticizing the Thai government, when most of you blokes come from western countries that are in a condition of total political chaos.

If the Thai government is (in your considered opinions) in such chaotic disarray, then why don't you brilliant political geniuses just go home,......back to the place where you actually have the citizen's "right" to cast a responsible vote, for a change! Huh?

Na! You blokes would rather hide away, in the LOS, bashing & ragging about the business of someone else's house, rather than go back home, stand-up to be counted, as a political janitor, working "intelligently" to clean-up the house, where you come from, instead.

Some of you blokes (posting to this forum) really do need to grow the F-UP, for heaven sake! Thailand, as a nation, has been politically very good to us foreigners. Count your blessings, or move to Malaysia, if you believe Thailand has been so bad to you. Enough, children! Goodnitecoffee1.gif

What I find so unfathomable is that you have chosen to see the debate in this thread as being about how badly Thailand is treating foreigners. If you read it through you will see the topic is rather how badly the Thai regime is treating Thais - not the same thing at all. That is true of the vast majority of topics on this forum.

Moreover, at the risk of going yet again over old ground, many of us in these discussions have wives and children here. For that reason we have made our lives here. For that reason we hold views, and care about what happens here. We don't have a vote here, (we may in our home countries, depending on individual jurisdictions), nor do we have a voice in Thai politics. This forum does allow us to discuss our views among ourselves, in the full knowledge that such discussions have no influence beyond the forum whatsoever.

If you find our discussions tedious, then ignore them - we don't really care. That is what I do with topics which do not interest me - including especially those few which are about how hard done by foreigners are. The old chestnut of telling us to leave Thailand is worn out. As for going to Malaysia - what have you got against Malaysia?

Goodnight.

Edited by JAG

If you're asking for investment from abroad, looking for exporting Thai products, inviting "high-end tourists" from around the globe and FIT from China... well then you have to deal with being judged by "outsiders". Close your borders if you want to be on your own and close all foreign companies who pay the salary of Thai people who tell you to "shut up or leave".

Even though it is true that many foreigners don't have a clue what's actually going on in Thailand and comparing apples to oranges, there are still some who know Thailand and its problems damn well. Much more than many ignorant and hypocrite Thais who don't even have the ability to discuss different point of views without getting hostile after a few sentences.

True enough. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I think your post intentionally or not brings up that in an increasingly inter-dependent world having more or less internationally unaccountable governments is becoming an anachronism. At least let's hope so. And not that Thailand's government desiring that is unique by any means, perhaps the game is just played a bit more subtly (i.e. avoiding ugly military interventions and the like).

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

It would seem the "have an election" is becoming like A44, a magic wand. Good for those believing in faery tales.

You're right. Hoping for elections is like believing in fairy tales.

Terribly sorry and all that, maybe English is not your native language. Obviously I was saying that wanting to 'have an election' to solve Thailand's problems is similar to believing waving a magic A44 wand helps fundamentally.

Yes! Now does this troll make you happy? Can you also begin to contribute something significant to the OP, or do you just get your cookies off, by trying to start arguments with other posters? And you call me a troller! Ha? whistling.gif

And here are some of your "significant" contributions:

"(Gen. Prayuth) who had balls enough to STAND-UP for his people"

Now this we agree on. He certainly stood up for his people (the old elite).

"Because most westerners are arrogant/ignorant (bipolar) religious believers in the very systems, that they (themselves) now refuse to live under."

Don't know what to say, reallycrazy.gif

"...why don't you brilliant political geniuses just go home."

Ahh, the most constructive argument ever on TV!

"...most of you blokes come from western countries that are in a condition of total political chaos."

Really? Examples, please.

And here is my personal favorite:

"Personally, I both applaud and respect Gen. Prayut, for having the "guts" to stand-up against the establishment, in defense of the common Thai people, the way he did"

If you're so far out there that you don't see that Uncle Too represents the establishment then that would at least partially explain your inane posts.

Edited by MZurf

Yet another unimaginative and boring statement "if you dont like it go home", can't you think of something more intelligent to say.

I live here because it is where my work has taken me, you are correct I do not have voting rights here but I do have an opinion. This forum is a place for us to share that opinion and discuss what is happening here. There are many people here who are married to local Thai people, they still cannot vote but they do take an interest in whats happening in their new adopted home as do I.

I also held views of the government when at home which I also voice on occasion.

So, at present and for the foreseeable future Thailand is my adopted home, some things are good and I share those points, some things are bad and I share those points too.

If it is all too much for your poor self to read someones very valid opinion then why dont you just steer clear of Thai Visa because I guarantee you 100% that there will be more negative viewpoints in the future, guarantee.

There will then be 1 less person on This Visa trying to insult other members for sharing their views,,,

Now you have thrown your toys out of the pram, goodnight to you too.

Sorry, isn't Thailand itself claiming to be a democracy? Isn't the current PM saying that he wants to return Thailand to a democratic state as soon as possible?

This is coming from local Thai people, it is certainly not being driven by armchair democrats.

And now you're just making me laugh. Almost every point you have made is wrong on many levels and anyone of any intelligence can see it so I won't bother wasting my time tearing into your post,, the people that matter will know.

I will say one thing, what makes you think every foreigner living here is running away from home? Are you judging everyone by your own standards here? Are you defending the indefensible because you have slagged off your "own country" so much you want (have) to blindly believe in your choice of new home? I suspect so.

Sorry, isn't Thailand itself claiming to be a democracy? Isn't the current PM saying that he wants to return Thailand to a democratic state as soon as possible?

This is coming from local Thai people, it is certainly not being driven by armchair democrats.

Yes quite - and the "very few Asian nations" include Japan and North Korea - two of the more successful – and the two most quickly emerging: Indonesia and India.

That and the whole notion that it's "western style democracy" falls apart with even a moment's consideration. Large parts of the non-Western world seem to have no problem with the democratic process.

The UN is not my father ......? where have we heard that one before ? yea ok ok i know, but but.... Thaksin. Ill get my coat

yes indeed, the quote was attributed to thaksin in the article. perhaps you should have been less concerned with your coat and given the article an actual read.

Yes quite - and the "very few Asian nations" include Japan and North Korea - two of the more successful – and the two most quickly emerging: Indonesia and India.

That and the whole notion that it's "western style democracy" falls apart with even a moment's consideration. Large parts of the non-Western world seem to have no problem with the democratic process.

I think your argument would have been stronger if you had said South Korea instead of North.

To: zakk9:

I have to agree with GAZZPA in that many, if not most of us, have family and/or business here, so you damn right we have concerns about what goes on in Thailand. If something affects my family, then it also affects me. And, no, I didn't "run away" from my country, and honestly don't know of anyone who did. We made a conscious, intelligent choice to live here based on a number of factors, and I'm not talking about booze and cheap sex. We see the things going on daily and we get frustrated, even disgusted at times, because we all know that it doesn't have to be this way, and that it could be better. And it has nothing to do with "Western Democracy", but more with plain old common sense, which is seriously lacking in the Thai mental make up.

Sometimes we complain or bitch about things. Sometimes we don't like it here because of the shit we see, but we have earned the right to "bitch and complain" through our work, our families, and the money we contribute to the Thai economy. Some might say: "Well, that's not much.". Really? A couple of years ago a report came out that there were at least 100,000 foreigners (most of them married) living in Issan alone. So, using the LOW figure of just 50,000 thb a month from each of them, that comes to 5 BILLION thb a month, or 12 BILLION a year they contribute to the economy, and that's ONLY IN ISSAN, and doesn't include the rest of Thailand.

As you have already been told, if you don't want to hear our complaints, then you are in the wrong place, and need to find a more friendly web site to hang out on.

To: zakk9:

I have to agree with GAZZPA in that many, if not most of us, have family and/or business here, so you damn right we have concerns about what goes on in Thailand. If something affects my family, then it also affects me. And, no, I didn't "run away" from my country, and honestly don't know of anyone who did. We made a conscious, intelligent choice to live here based on a number of factors, and I'm not talking about booze and cheap sex. We see the things going on daily and we get frustrated, even disgusted at times, because we all know that it doesn't have to be this way, and that it could be better. And it has nothing to do with "Western Democracy", but more with plain old common sense, which is seriously lacking in the Thai mental make up.

Sometimes we complain or bitch about things. Sometimes we don't like it here because of the shit we see, but we have earned the right to "bitch and complain" through our work, our families, and the money we contribute to the Thai economy. Some might say: "Well, that's not much.". Really? A couple of years ago a report came out that there were at least 100,000 foreigners (most of them married) living in Issan alone. So, using the LOW figure of just 50,000 thb a month from each of them, that comes to 5 BILLION thb a month, or 12 BILLION a year they contribute to the economy, and that's ONLY IN ISSAN, and doesn't include the rest of Thailand.

As you have already been told, if you don't want to hear our complaints, then you are in the wrong place, and need to find a more friendly web site to hang out on.

Bravo, well said and with you all the way.