Why is a round-trip ticket needed for Visa "O"?

I am married to a Thai and we plan to move to Thailand in the near future. If I apply for a Visa "O" based on marriage from the Thai embassy before we go, the embassy states that this must be part of the documents handed in with the visa application:

- Copy of the round-trip tickets or reservation.

But must I really buy a round-trip ticket, if I intend to stay in Thailand?

There should be no requirement for a return or onward ticket when applying for any non immigrant visa. Perhaps an error on the website.

Which embassy are you applying at?

See the following on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.there no mention of a ticket. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

"3. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA"

"2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

"2.1 The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.

- Visa application form completely filled out
- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The validity of 18 months is required for one year visa application.
- (4 x 6 cm) protograph of the applicant, taken within the past six months"
  • Like 1

Yes, checked the swedish website and as UbonJoe says, there is absolutely no mentioning of any tickets at all for any of the Non Immigrant O;s....

However, maybe OP have been by mistake been looking at the demands for Tourist-VISA?? There is of course demand to show both travel and return-tickets..

Glegolo

However, maybe OP have been by mistake been looking at the demands for Tourist-VISA?? There is of course demand to show both travel and return-tickets..

Glegolo

This must be a new requirement because a ticket was never needed in the past when I have applied for tourist visa's.

Glegolo

This must be a new requirement because a ticket was never needed in the past when I have applied for tourist visa's.

It all depends upon where you apply for the tourist visa.

Not a new requirement. Look at the page i posted a link to under tourist visas. " Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)"

Should not be needed. When you checkin at the airline, they will check your visa. The airline will allow you to travel with a one way ticket if you have the correct visa.

For 10 years or more, I have been buying a round trip ticket FROM Bangkok back to Bangkok. So when I checkin stateside, I only have the return portion. Never had a problem.

It is what they say in they´r website, if you don´t have the papers, you don´t get the visa. I applied for my Non-O-Multi on reteriment in july, I have copy of my bankbook and statement from bank, same as all year, now she demanded doc. of income also, and in they´r website it say´s 65.000 bth ( AT LEAST 14.500 DKK ) after tax, but that is about 78.800 bth, and the only answers I got was, that it was the rules they have, and if you not follow the rules, no visa.

So I would wish that they have the same rules in all ambassy, that would make it so much easier.

Actually most Embassies will not issue multi entry O for retirement (as it is not required) - you can apply for a non immigrant O-A visa with medical and police check or extend for retirement inside Thailand. So they have a local requirement to allow them to issue it appears.

Which embassy are you applying at?

It would be the Thai Embassy in Denmark: http://thaiembassy.dk/easy-steps-to-apply-for-visa-to-thailand/

Under "Category O due to family ties" you will find:

• Copy of the round-trip tickets or reservation

That is way out of the norm and as I posted earlier is not a requirement set by the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

Even asking for a return is out of the norm if a person was to apply for tourist visa. It only states a onward ticket.

An intermarry might be accepted instead of a reservation. That is allowed for tourist visas at some locations..

Just in the process of doing 1 for Auss

Q 10 Details of arrival/dep - First entry &/or 2nd entry

Not a very clear Question but maybe something to do with the 90 days if have Multi Entry

The list is long & X 4 for Auss Emb

Forms

photos

Itinary

Invite letter

Employer letter

passport

Drivers lisc

Marriage cert

House Reg

Wife ID card