Cheapest Moving Service

LeftFootRightEar

Hey Everyone,

We're moving out of our house in the Old City over to the Wat Umong neighborhood and we're trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to move everything. A songtheaw isn't a good option because we have some pretty big furniture so we're either looking to rent a pickup for a day or call a moving service. Any advice? I haven't had much luck researching either of those options.

Thanks in advance

If price is a concern and you want to pack up everything yourself first, we recently paid about 3,000 for a large moving truck (big enough for two pianos I'd guess) with two people, driver included, who helped us carry things in and out. Probably less professional than Chiang Mai Removals who many seem to recommend, but good enough for us.

I can probably get their number if you want, but you'd need to speak Thai.

If the distance is not far, I'd guess it would be cheaper and easier to rent a pick-up and go back and forth a few times yourself. I've rented cars from North Wheels in the city before without problems. From the website, price seems to be around 1200B for a pick-up.

Thanks for the responses everyone

If price is a concern and you want to pack up everything yourself first, we recently paid about 3,000 for a large moving truck (big enough for two pianos I'd guess) with two people, driver included, who helped us carry things in and out. Probably less professional than Chiang Mai Removals who many seem to recommend, but good enough for us.

If the distance is not far, I'd guess it would be cheaper and easier to rent a pick-up and go back and forth a few times yourself. I've rented cars from North Wheels in the city before without problems. From the website, price seems to be around 1200B for a pick-up.

Yeah, the number for that company would be great. I gave Chiangmairemovals a call and they're a little out of our budget.

Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

We're moving out of our house in the Old City over to the Wat Umong neighborhood and we're trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to move everything. A songtheaw isn't a good option because we have some pretty big furniture so we're either looking to rent a pickup for a day or call a moving service. Any advice? I haven't had much luck researching either of those options.

Thanks in advance

When you say that you are moving out of your house in the old city does that mean you own a house in the old city and are moving from that house I ask because I'm looking to buy I house in the old city.

Yeah, the number for that company would be great. I gave Chiangmairemovals a call and they're a little out of our budget.

Thanks!

Name of the guy we talked with is Nom. Phone number is 08 6911 2972.

When we moved I asked my neighbours if they knew anyone with a pick up who would be willing and able to transport our household stuff 25 kilometres away to our new home.

Once the word got round that a Farang was seeking someone with a pickup, we got 11 offers within the following 2 days. If willing to pay a decent price for the hire of man with pickup, should have no problem.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks in advance

When you say that you are moving out of your house in the old city does that mean you own a house in the old city and are moving from that house I ask because I'm looking to buy I house in the old city.

Oh sorry, no we are moving out of a house we are renting.

Thanks!

Name of the guy we talked with is Nom. Phone number is 08 6911 2972.

Thanks!

When we moved I asked my neighbours if they knew anyone with a pick up who would be willing and able to transport our household stuff 25 kilometres away to our new home.

Once the word got round that a Farang was seeking someone with a pickup, we got 11 offers within the following 2 days. If willing to pay a decent price for the hire of man with pickup, should have no problem.

Wow, that's awesome. What do Thais normally pay for something like that?

I've used http://chiangmairemovals.com/ for the past 4 years.

Can't fault them, with a UK owner who supervises removals, careful staff, and good prices.

Used the in the last 2 months found them inexpensive and great they do everything even packing

Call them to get quote and believe me they will do what he says

John from Chiang Mai Removals is awesome. We talked and worked something out and can't even express how helpful he's being. I'll let you guys know how it went after the move.

Wow, that's awesome. What do Thais normally pay for something like that?

I've used http://chiangmairemovals.com/ for the past 4 years.

Can't fault them, with a UK owner who supervises removals, careful staff, and good prices.

Used the in the last 2 months found them inexpensive and great they do everything even packing

Call them to get quote and believe me they will do what he says

John from Chiang Mai Removals is awesome. We talked and worked something out and can't even express how helpful he's being. I'll let you guys know how it went after the move.

I told you so!! tongue.png

UPDATE:

Chiang Mai Removals was hands-down the best moving experience I've ever had. To start, John knew we were on a budget and worked with us anyway. After our initial talk, within an hour, he dropped off 40 cardboard boxes, tons of packing paper and plenty of tape, asking nothing in return.

Then, after 3 days of us slowly packing everything up, John shows up exactly at the time he said he would, with three trucks and ten guys. They loaded our entire house in less than 20 minutes and unloaded everything into our new house in about 10 minutes (all very carefully). I also accidentally packed away my helmet so he gave me a ride to and from our new spot. John's a very cool guy, easy to talk to, and his crew are happy and taken care of.

I'm from The States and moving is usually a costly, time-consuming nightmare. When I move again, it'll be with Chiang Mai Removals and I cannot recommend them enough!

Cheers,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I told you so!! tongue.png

Maybe its a factor of John being away in Nepal.. But I just tried to get a quote for a larger truck to simply move an office desk and a leather L sofa.. made it clear absolutely no packing, just a couple of bulky items too large for my own pickup, and a single journey san kampeang to hang dong and they wouldnt budge from 16,000.. I moved from Phuket to here with a huge 4 bedroom house load, including packing and a full loading unloading team both ends for double that.

In contrast the above mentioned Noon offered 4,000 for the same trip.