The Hidden Cost of Moving your Family to Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

The Hidden Cost of Moving your Family to Thailand

Moving abroad is a big undertaking, and nobody should be under any illusions as to the scale of what you are considering. Add into the mix a young family and the scale is simply huge.

The research you have to do is phenomenal. You will regularly be quizzed with questions such as “How do you think the kids will settle in” and “Will they need to know the language” or “What about their education?”.

Underlying each of those questions is often another question, perhaps the real question, “Are you being irresponsible with your children?”

In order to be fully armed and capable of combating the barrage you’ll face from concerned family and friends, you’ll need to know every available fact about the schooling landscape in Thailand.

Living in Thailand can be cheap, and in most aspects it is. We all hear the stories of singles or couples living in paradise for less than £500 per month. It’s one of the greatest appeals of moving out to Thailand and, whilst it can still be cheap with a family, it won’t be quite as cheap as you’d expect. The cost of schooling alone can make or break your move to Thailand.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over here in lower Sukhumvit, 500 quid a month would only finance a very basic lifestyle indeed (as a single person I spend about 29,000 Baht a month, no screwing around, only drinking three or four days a week (during happy-hours)). I own a condo, so that figure doesn't include rent.

Obviously up-country has much cheaper options.

Really, life is worth nothing in Thailand..... How biter are you.. Where are you from ?

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

Really, life is worth nothing in Thailand..... How biter are you.. Where are you from ?

Your life is worth nothing in Thailand, using public transportation or your own you risk your life daily. Good medical care is expensive as are imported drugs administered by Thai hospitals.

He's from the real world!

Internet is still filled with sites saying it is so easy to get a visa......Not to mention people who think there kids are getting a decent education in the Thai system......

The kids will not be getting a decent education on 500 quid a month thats for sure

He's from the real world!

Rubbish and utter tosh.

I can't argue against people who think like you any more, there's so many people that seem not to get it right here in Thailand and end up being bitter and blaming the country and its people instead of themselves.

The tricky thing is that the expat cost of living indexes don't include education, financing/interest, cars and the tax system and that is where Thailand compares rather negative to other countries.

Thailand for a "real" expat family aint cheap once you factor in half decent education, proper medical insurance, decent accomadation, proper transport etc... in other words similar lifestyle they had in their own countries assuming they are professional type expats coming to work here

The tricky thing is that the expat cost of living indexes don't include education, financing/interest, cars and the tax system and that is where Thailand compares rather negative to other countries.

Healthcare being another big consideration, especially with a young family.

A (rich) friend of mine paid GBP 20,000 for an operation here last year.

Internet is still filled with sites saying it is so easy to get a visa......Not to mention people who think there kids are getting a decent education in the Thai system......

Yes it is important that THEIR children will get a decent education here!!

Glegolo

Whats that work out to ? Just over thb 1.0 million, an extensive stay in ICU or heart ops will set you back that, hardly big money if you get really sick or in a bad car/motor bike wreck.... fact is only a fool would live in country full time without recourse to "free" medical care without insurance, as has been proved on more than one ocassion on TV

4 years ago, Bangkok hospital Pattaya quoted me 200,000 Baht for a simple hernia operation. It was cheaper to fly to the UK and having it done in a private clinic. This included tickets and a few nights hotel...

6 years ago I had a dental crown done in BPH for 15,000 Baht, not too bad, last year the same crown, on the other side would go for 45,000 Baht, 3 times the price in 5 years, the room, dentist and all equipment was the same...

4 years ago, Bangkok hospital Pattaya quoted me 200,000 Baht for a simple hernia operation. It was cheaper to fly to the UK and having it done in a private clinic. This included tickets and a few nights hotel...

6 years ago I had a dental crown done in BPH for 15,000 Baht, not too bad, last year the same crown, on the other side would go for 45,000 Baht, 3 times the price in 5 years, the room, dentist and all equipment was the same...

Change dentists. Rama 9 hospital and Piyavate hospital in Bangkok are both about 13k per crown.

Whats that work out to ? Just over thb 1.0 million, an extensive stay in ICU or heart ops will set you back that, hardly big money if you get really sick or in a bad car/motor bike wreck.... fact is only a fool would live in country full time without recourse to "free" medical care without insurance, as has been proved on more than one ocassion on TV

That was for a one week, in-patient stay, colonic bypass. (Bumrungrad).

I suppose one would have to decide what "free" is.

Also, from some things that I have heard, some of the up-country government hospitals wouldn't be the place to be, especially with something serious.

T

The cost of schooling alone can make or break your move to Thailand.

If you're moving anywhere with children and consider schools a "hidden cost," you're pretty clueless.

Under what circumstances would a family with children be considering the move. Presumably in most cases it would involve employment, hopefully employment secured before the move, and any negotiation with potential employers should involve at least housing, schools and medical coverage. If you're moving your family here with the plan that you'll teach English in a rural school and live off a local salary, you really are delusional.

Well ! looks like some one forgot to take off his rose colored, bar girl glasses!!! facepalm.gif

"4 years ago, Bangkok hospital Pattaya quoted me 200,000 Baht for a simple hernia operation. It was cheaper to fly to the UK and having it done in a private clinic. This included tickets and a few nights hotel..."

I had a hernia operation at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya about two years ago for Baht 90,000 for everything. Excellent result and my US based insurance was quite happy to pay the charge. I've had crowns replaced at BPH fairly recently for less than Baht 15.000 and also at a local dentist for less than that.

Any other medical or dental work I've had done here has been considerably cheaper than in the US and the results have been fine.

I had 2 crowns and 4 veneers done at BPH not 3 years ago and job lot came to 60k

Moving a foreign family to Thailand is about 0.5% of the expats.

If you take the retired couples out of the stats. ......... 0.1% with young children.

The other 99.5% are single men (and a few single women).

Anyone moving western (non-Thai) children (of school age) out here should be arrested and charged with child abuse.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

- Family moving to Thailand: Unless one can afford expensive Private Schools, taking kids outside of a "western" educational-system in exchange for the Thai Educational System borders on lunacy.

Next to Private School, Health insurance might become a real "Budget-Buster".

- "Single" Farang moving to Thailand: For retirement, leading a quiet life. The budget is made, the figures add up.

Then, (it has happened on some rare occasions I have been told), that a charming Thai-Lady has decided to turn this "single" Farang into her husband.

Shortly after, the Farang may discover the true meaning of unplanned "Hidden-Expenses".smile.png

Cheers.

Hmmmm!

Seven years ago I needed a bare metal coronary stent (PCI), Bumrungrad wanted 175K baht whilst the Spire Group UK wanted 13,500 Pounds, plus flights, plus hotels, plus plus plus.

No competition really even at twice the price of Burmrungrad.

MONTHLY INCOME MONTHLY EXPENSES SUMMARY

Item Amount Item Amount Total Monthly Income Total Monthly Expenses Balance

Income 1 $113,138.00 INTERNETT $4,610.00 $147,138 $109,379 $37,759

Income 2 $26,000.00 Electric $5,000.00

Other $8,000.00 TV $2,500.00

tim monthly thai budget EDD WAGERS $9,000.00

Groceries $25,000.00 tims monthly thai budget

TIM HEALTH COVER $9,611.00

PETROL $5,000.00

tim merc insurance $3,300.00

PILLS $4,000.00

koi life cover $700.00

mazda insurance $1,792.00

koi medical $1,800.00

tim nz life cover $2,400.00

rates $1,666.00

pet food $4,000.00

vet 1000

cars 2 maintain 6000

travel and treats 20000

visa cell netgame 1000

smarty school 1000

This should give you a ball park I do not go to bars but Enjoy life Eg total monthly income is 147,138 I have approx 39,000 bhat a month not spent and We have no children

Edited by whiteman

"4 years ago, Bangkok hospital Pattaya quoted me 200,000 Baht for a simple hernia operation. It was cheaper to fly to the UK and having it done in a private clinic. This included tickets and a few nights hotel..."

I had a hernia operation at Bangkok Hospital Pattaya about two years ago for Baht 90,000 for everything. Excellent result and my US based insurance was quite happy to pay the charge. I've had crowns replaced at BPH fairly recently for less than Baht 15.000 and also at a local dentist for less than that.

Any other medical or dental work I've had done here has been considerably cheaper than in the US and the results have been fine.

It's unbelievable how they randomly quote and try to overcharge on one person while the other gets a more sensible rate. I don't look rich, wear normal clothes, drive a pickup. I walked out on both offers and never returned, last time with the tooth it was really painful.

I am having a crown done in Australia now for 50000 baht. How can it possibly cost 45000 baht in Thailand? Mind you I recently paid 2000 baht for a scale and clean at BIDC, about half the price of Australia, but not as thorough or with as many whistles and bells. I was disappointed because I was told the price was 1400-2000 baht and the dentist told me I had great oral hygiene because I had very little calculus build up on my teeth. So how come I paid the maximum price?

I am having a crown done in Australia now for 50000 baht. How can it possibly cost 45000 baht in Thailand? Mind you I recently paid 2000 baht for a scale and clean at BIDC, about half the price of Australia, but not as thorough or with as many whistles and bells. I was disappointed because I was told the price was 1400-2000 baht and the dentist told me I had great oral hygiene because I had very little calculus build up on my teeth. So how come I paid the maximum price?

It doesnt, going rate even today is around 15k, as stated about 3 years ago i got 2 crowns and 4 veneers at BPH and job lot was 60k