Problem setting up repeater to ADSL Modem/Router

chrisinth

Was wondering if anyone can identify the problems I had setting up a repeater to an ADSL modem/wi-fi router. The modem/router was a TP-Link (unsure of model) and the repeater was an EnGenious ERA150.

Problem is that when my friend built his house, he installed his internet connection into his office. The walls of the office were so thick that it almost cut out the wi-fi transmissions to the rest of the house.

I setup the repeater as per the user guide keeping all the defaults, selecting the correct SSID, inputing the user and password, selecting country, time, etc. Disconnected from my laptop and relocated the repeater to the other side of his office wall. The repeater showed up on the available wi-fi connections and was able to connect (showing successful connection anyway) with a signal strength of excellent. Laptop, phone & tablets showing the same strong connection.

But, no internet connection.

Using Chrome I was getting a DNS probe error. DHCP is not enabled on the repeater and I assume it would be enabled (not checked) on the modem/router. (I only had a short window to try and set this up for him and didn't access the modem while I was there).

The ISP is 3BB and his package is 13 down, 1 up. Any ideas?

WiFi extenders don't always work, or don't always work the first, second or third time you try setting them up.

Basically, extenders/repeater try to be a Client and an Access Point at the same time.

Most will require you to have the same exact settings as the host WiFi Access Point (Channel, SSID, Security Mode, Encryption and Pre-Shared Key). Some will even require you specify the MAC address of the host WiFi Access Point.

Having both devices with the same SSID can make it difficult to diagnose issues (how to tell which WiFi Access Point you're connecting to when both are in range).

I prefer using a hard cable connected to the host Router/WiF and run the cable to where you want/need the second WiFi Access Point, then plug into a LAN Port of the second device and set it up with its own UNIQUE Channel, SSID, etc. A lot easier to troubleshoot and maintain.

Hi RichCor, thanks for the reply. I would agree, and it would be my preference to run the lan cable and setup as an access point instead of extender, but the friend (if at all possible) would prefer no cable runs. Setting up as extender typically reduces the bandwidth available as well, where an access point would still use all channels.

Next time i am there i will manually put in the MAC address of the host, all the other settings match. My question in the original post was why would we be seeing the extender in the available wi-fi connections, be able to connect to it but still have no internet access. Could it be a WAN setting i am missing?

As an observation, i have been seeing DNS issues with a couple of other 3BB connections over the last month or so, DNS server unavailable, etc. Sometimes even changing to Google or OpenDNS settings wouldn't solve the issue even after DNS flush and reboot. Maybe it is my laptop, but it does seem to be only 3BB connections!!

<...>

My question in the original post was why would we be seeing the extender in the available wi-fi connections, be able to connect to it but still have no internet access. Could it be a WAN setting i am missing?

A WiFi Access Point, or extender/repeater, is an 'authenticated' replacement for a physical Ethernet cable connection.

Meaning, you can create a connection point to an ISOLATED WiFi Access Point if it's powered up. It's just a LAN island at that point.

The WiFi extender/repeater relies on an active connection to a Host Gateway Router to provide LAN services (DHCP, Gateway, etc).

You weren't getting Internet connectivity because the WiFi repeater/extender wasn't itself exchanging data with the Host Gateway Router.

Archived