Living in Khon kaen area

Sutty

Hi all just moved into condo in khon kaen there for a few months whilst house is built in ban hin lad (please no oh don't do that or you'll get ripped off comments)

Reason for post is there any sort of Farang get together or meets of any kind in the area thanks in anticipation of a non thai woman bashing thread !!!!! Can always live in hope!!!LOL

Edited by Sutty

Hi Sutty welcome to Khonkaen, been living in Khonkaen for a few years now, it is a great place to live, I live 22ks south of Khonkaen.

TikiTiki bar near the Kosa hotel and the bars nearby has a few falangs hanging about Tiki bar has a get together on Friday afternoon mainly Scandinavian, but a few English too.

I not really hang around the ex pat bars but a good place to start out.

I am overseas at the moment so cannot meet but when I am back I am up for a beer or two. Nev

Yeah it is a pity, with the scandinavians I mean... being one myself cant really see ourself socialize with english guys. Hahahahaha, You must really be in the dark my friend. My best friends here in Chaiyaphum are all english-spoken people like english, irish scottish and americans.... And if I like to give them a "miss" I will probably end up completely alone....

So lets hope that your "miss" will end up in something good in spite of that.

Good luck

Glegolo

Yeah it is a pity, with the scandinavians I mean... being one myself cant really see ourself socialize with english guys. Hahahahaha, You must really be in the dark my friend. My best friends here in Chaiyaphum are all english-spoken people like english, irish scottish and americans.... And if I like to give them a "miss" I will probably end up completely alone....

So lets hope that your "miss" will end up in something good in spite of that.

Good luck

Glegolo

I was a joke my friend hence LOL at end

Hi , My Wife told me they have not only one Ban Hin Lad village named, so how far is this/your place from Khon Kaen?

I know one Ban Hin Lad almost 60km from Khon Kaen after Nong Rea Sugar factory turn right and than left. Near the end of the World............

But you may find out if you turn around by yourself. Good luck.

Hi Sutty,. I have been living here for just under 2 years in a small village just up the road from you. I am also planning to build a small but comfortable home. I agree with a previous post that there are a lot of expats here and from my experience have found the majority are not really interested in making friends. As I am not one to frequent bars only get to meet other expats in the supermarket so this does make it more difficult to find friends here.

It would be a bonus to find a friend here with similar interests,..be nice to have some conversation in English.

Posts #9 & #10

I can identify well. "Retired" drinker.

Relocated to Fang about 4 months ago ex CNX. Meeting expats in CNX was too easy.

Here, I do not know but meeting some English speakers is "mission impossible".

Good luck to you both.

(I am meeting a farang tomorrow. He lives about 10k from me. We knew each other in CNX many moons ago.)

At the number 1 bar they have a quiz night on Tuesday nights, go there they are always looking for new lads to join the quiz teams, they also run golf days from there.

I have many friends in khonkaen falang and Thai, to get a good social group takes time, just staying at home in the village will not help.

I am lucky in a way, on the soi I live in we have 3 of us all live in a row, two of us English and one Swiss.

Notowork thanks not a great drinker myself would be good to meet up and as you say have a conversation in English now and then.[/quote

Yes, maybe we can meet sometime when you are back to inspect the progress of your house.

Would be very interested to see your house and get some ideas as I am planning to build mine myself.

Send me an email and we can arrange a time that suits .

[email protected]

Welcome to Khon Kaen.

My wife and I built a home in Ban Bua Yai and a business in Ban Nong Bping, both of which are near you.

I'm no longer a bar guy so I can't help you there but some Enlish language practice would be welcome.

PM me if you're interested.

• 3 months later...

I have enjoyed Khon Kaen since I moved. though sometimes I do miss Phuket. Living by the beach was nice for a few years

Though there is plenty of good places to eat and s big falang community.

I can also recommend Khon Kaen University as a good place for expats to study

Edited by FruitPudding

I live at the south east corner in Kalasin. I'm in a small village, but 20 kms from me is a district town. I met one farang at the bank shortly after I arrived, he lives 17 kms from me, but we started to get together at the same place in the district town every Saturday night for dinner. It didn't take long for the word to get around and now we have a small group of about five sometimes as many as 8, and we meet twice a week. Although we all drink, I drink just a little and only these two nights. Drinking is not the purpose of the meetings, conversation and friendship is. I can honestly say that these guys are the best friends I have ever had. Just try to meet one friend, meet at the same place same day every week and the word will get around.

Edited by Issangeorge

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sutty,

I've only just been in Khon Khen for 4 months now.I understand there is a ferang community in the bars near the Pullman Hotel.I havent checked it out yet but will do soon.I Live in Nam Phom which is bout 30kms out of the city.It's true,you do need to get out a bit,sitting in the village can be a little boring.But,to me,it's better than being bored in Pttaya.

KKD