Going to laos with thai g/f

I went to Vientiane (WiengChan) last month with my Thai friend and yes you both need passport and visa.  Cheaper to get the visa in advance from the Lao Embassy on Ramkhamhaeng (which I can't spell).  It's $50 US on The Bridge at NongKhai but 1200 baht if you get it in advance, which takes about an hour.  I think Thais can go over for the day on an ID card.

The cost of a Lao visa on the Nong Khai border is actually $31 USD for foreigners, not $50 USD or any other amount.

I would recommend getting the visa for Laos on arrival, rather than applying through the Lao Embassy in Bangkok, as it is rather badly located and hardly worth the small savings compared to the hassle involved in getting there and back to collect your passport. The last issue I had at the Lao Embassy in Bangkok took three days, not really worth the effort unless you live nearby.

Thanks everyone for your answers, even if they seem contradictory. My question was just for my g/f (I know how to get my own visa), because she doesn't have a passport.

Fester I had seen the thread you mention, but it seems that your question was about a one day pass, and I would like to know if it goes the same for a 3 day stay.

Anyway fester, did you eventually go to Laos and how was it at the border for your Thai friend?

Fester I had seen the thread you mention, but it seems that your question was about a one day pass, and I would like to know if it goes the same for a 3 day stay.

Anyway fester, did you eventually go to Laos and how was it at the border for your Thai friend?

Thais can be issued with 1 or 3 days Laos border passes. They also have longer border passes available, with multiple entries, 1 month up to a year.

We came to Nong Khai on a Saturday, so the City Hall was closed, so I have to go alone.

We saw that several travel agencies in Nong Khai can help with this as well. Same day delivery. Didn't check the fees though.