Getting in to photography.

KenDidd

Hi guys and gals, I've been looking around the forum and I've seen some wonderful photos taken by members on Thai visa and id like to join the gang I'm sure I could add many fantastic photos of Thailand and my jungle life so I'd like to ask. What would you tv camera dudes recommend as a starter camera for a beginner?

Thanks Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Canon 100D/SL1 as a starter DSLR. Not too many features and buttons but it is really light and that encourages people to take it out with them. Pair it with the 24mm or 40mm Canon pancake lens and it's very unobtrusive.

I have a Canon 70D and a bunch of lenses which I use when I'm shooting on a location of some sort but it's too damned heavy to lug around everywhere.

Almost every camera on the market is capable of taking good photos. If you are starting out I would suggest that the best one for you is the one you are most likely to go out and take pictures with.

Therefore, don't buy anything bulky with a collection of lenses; they are more likely to end up in your cupboard gathering dust. Personally I would avoid a camera with interchangeable lenses (therefore not DSLR) for a first camera. It's a level of flexibility you don't need and you may feel it ties you into a system that may not be the best for your long term.

Get an idea from the web of the cameras that interest you and then go into a well-stocked shop and try them all until you find the one that feels best in your hand; the one that is going to make you go out and use it. Just make sure it is sophisticated enough to allow you to set things like aperture, shutter and ISO; so you can learn the basics of photography and not just shoot in auto mode.

Personally I would take a look at the Fuji range. They look good, fit well in the hand and take lovely images. Disclaimer: I don't own one!

I asked the same question and bought a Nikon D3200 with 28-55 and 55-300mm lenses on Saturday. Yesterday I figured out how to turn it on so hopefully I can get some snaps soon.

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting........................

You've bought the camera.

You figured how to switch it on.

Hope by now, you figured how to press the button.

So........WHERE IS YOUR PHOTOS, MATE?

Or you are expecting me to open a special thread for you with the heading.

Shy, Sipi's masterpieces.

C'mmon......you can do it.

Many moons ago, I bought a Canon T70 - a wonderful experience.

Then, when in SGP, I bought a ??? with "cartridges".

Happy to have disposed of it.

Now, for the real amateur, Photoshop et al make a good photographer out of a novice?

Confession - I really enjoy reading the photo threads on TVF.

Many moons ago, I bought a Canon T70 - a wonderful experience.

Then, when in SGP, I bought a ??? with "cartridges".

Happy to have disposed of it.

Now, for the real amateur, Photoshop et al make a good photographer out of a novice?

Confession - I really enjoy reading the photo threads on TVF.

Hi fang37,

Photoshop et al will never make a good photographer out of a novice! Why not? Because, photo processing software, cameras, et al are merely tools. Does a nice set of paint brushes, quality oils and expensive canvases make a novice an artist? No, they're just tools. Artistry, good photography, comes from learning and PRACTICE. A good photographer is one who has studied and practiced their craft whether it be with an iPhone camera or an expensive Leica. Saying that the tools are responsible for making the art is the same as insulting the artist and demeaning his/her hard work and accomplishments.

Can YOU become a good photographer? Sure! Just apply yourself to study and ample practice with whatever camera you have available. You can practice the basics with a point and shoot camera. As you grow in skill and confidence then you can increase your tool set with more advanced gear and processing software.

Get started! Have fun! Enjoy photography!

Thank you. Jest was in play.

In Oz, I had a client who was the real deal.

He used German cameras only.

B&W.

His favourite subject shoot - naked ladies.

I never asked him why?

He must have been quality as the state art gallery purchased some of his photos.

I asked the same question and bought a Nikon D3200 with 28-55 and 55-300mm lenses on Saturday. Yesterday I figured out how to turn it on so hopefully I can get some snaps soon.

I'm waiting and waiting and waiting........................

You've bought the camera.

You figured how to switch it on.

Hope by now, you figured how to press the button.

So........WHERE IS YOUR PHOTOS, MATE?

Or you are expecting me to open a special thread for you with the heading.

Shy, Sipi's masterpieces.

C'mmon......you can do it.

Ok ok. I've not only turned it on but have managed three photos. Then I upgraded my computer and laptop to W10 and really confused myself.

I don't see a lot of material around here, but then again I need to start looking at things differently. And all those buttons on the camera and big words...

Here goes, feel free to laugh or offer advice.. These pics were taken on full auto in jpeg with no editing in one shot..

Bush bee on dill flower..

Sons chook..

She is actually a real sweetheart. One of the chooks the boy has had since it was in the egg. I tried to capture her smile..cheesy.gif

Sipi, my dearest friend, these pictures are great.

Well doneclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Just take pictures of everything and anything.

Some will be good some will be rubbish.

Never get disappointed.

Just keep trying.

It is very rewarding when you get that nice picture.

Editing will come in slowly.

I'm a newbie like you and have fallen in love with this hobby.

Start posting on the photography threads.

There are many subjects for you to choose.

Good Luck and see you soon on the forumthumbsup.gif

Ok ok. I've not only turned it on but have managed three photos. Then I upgraded my computer and laptop to W10 and really confused myself.

I don't see a lot of material around here, but then again I need to start looking at things differently. And all those buttons on the camera and big words...

Here goes, feel free to laugh or offer advice.. These pics were taken on full auto in jpeg with no editing in one shot..

No laughing coming from my side sipi,those first shots of yours are way,way better than my first ever shots!!!

As TP1 suggested,come over to the main forum and share,learn and enjoy together with the rest of us.

Archived