Free Sms

haimf

I have had excellent results with Yahoo Messenger. Its a small program that installs on your computer and maintains a connection to a Yahoo chat server. Very similar to AOL Instant Messenger.

But Yahoo includes several foreign countries (including Thailand) in their SMS feature.

Replies sent back to you from the cell phone in Thailand appear in a Yahoo Messenger window.

Your results may vary, but to date it seems to be sending and receiving SMS messages very quickly.

So it looks to me like the Yahoo Messenger side is free (not including the cost to connect to the Internet) and the typical price to send an SMS message in Thailand is something like 4 Baht.

Pretty awesome, really.

kenk3z

Absolutely right. Yahoo requires a response from the phone you are sending SMS messages to - as a way of making sure their service is not used for SPAM (unwanted advertising). Something like three messages without a response and then you are prevented from sending any more to that number (maybe all numbers, I don't know).

Would be interesting to know if, after you have that response, you can then send many SMS messages in a row without further response. I have not tried that.

Also, for the benefit of haimf, if your friend has 1-2-Call prepaid wireless, that service is provided by a company called AIS, and they are reachable through Yahoo Messenger.

For just simple "Hi how are you?" and "I'm fine" messages, this is far cheaper than the typical Internet Cafe for your friend(s) in BKK.

kenk3z