WD repair centre

JohnnyJazz

Following my shopping frenzy last week end, yesterday i started to reorganize my home network and something went terribly wrong with my NAS, a WD mycloud EX4. Total drive failure (bay 1,2,3,4 wacko.png ) can't access the dashboard, actually can't do anything not even shutting it down using the front panel. Usually users forum are quite useful for first help but it seems all WD forums are tightly controlled and I couldn't get anything from them. It seems manufacturer is blocking any meaningful debate in order to protect their lucrative maintenance service. Problem is maintenance is not something that translate well in Thai, I usually trust more small repair shops that official maintenance centre but I'm afraid my NAS is above their competence level. Could someone recommend a company that could help me to fix my NAS, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

JJ

Edited : Bangkok area.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

• 1 month later...

Finally found the time to visit WD service center in Pantip. I couldn't find the original invoice so I was afraid to have to pay full repair cost but the people there were very nice, they scanned the S/N, found the disks were still under warranty and less than 30 mn later I was leaving the shop with a brand new NAS.

They made no attempt to fix the disks, they didn't even try to test them. They asked me what went wrong, then offer to replace the disks right away. They just told me that the warranty doesn't cover the data, they will not try to recover them and it was my responsibility to have a full back up in case of disk failure. So be warned, a NAS even with RAID still means you need to have one, or even better two back up of your important data.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

Total drive failure (bay 1,2,3,4 wacko.png )

So you had 4 drives fail at once ???

that's quite an achievement

Didn't you try connecting the bare drives to a SATA port and try to recover even some of your data ?

Actually what happened is I was doing an upgrade when the process stopped at 99% and I lost complete accessed to the NAS, I couldn't even turn it off using the front panel. At the end I had no choice but to unplug it and I when I restarted it ... Anyway I had a back up of the most important data so what I lost wasn't that important.

An interesting question is I was using RAID 5 so I don't know how the data were recorded and if it was possible to to recover them by just plugging the disks on a standard computer. What I know is I won't use RAID anymore, it is of no use for me and it cost too much disk space.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

according to this site they recommend raid 10 instead of raid 5

https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/24731-recovering-data-from-a-failed-raid-5-on-desktop-pcs

If two disks fail because of a mechanical issue or your drives are dead, unfortunately you're hosed. Nothing to do except take it to a Data Recovery Centre. You're probably looking at around $1,000 per recovered disk to get the experts to do it. Sorry, but this is by and large your only shot from here.
If one disk fails and the rest are fine you still have a shot. Continue.
If none fail and all your disks are fine, great! Continue!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a WD hard drive a few months ago in Chiang Mai and it just died. Does anybody know if I can go to the Chiangmai collection point and replace it there or do I really need to send it in?

Call their hot line and they will tell you what to do

• Chiangmai Collection Point

2 Central Airport Plaza Room 314 3 rd

Mahidol road T. Haiya

A. Muang Chiangmai 50200, Thailand

Phone number: 053-200500

Operation Hours : Mon-Fri (11.00 am - 9.00 pm)

Operation Hours : Sat-Sun (10.00 am - 9.00 pm)

Finally found the time to visit WD service center in Pantip. I couldn't find the original invoice so I was afraid to have to pay full repair cost but the people there were very nice, they scanned the S/N, found the disks were still under warranty and less than 30 mn later I was leaving the shop with a brand new NAS.

They made no attempt to fix the disks, they didn't even try to test them. They asked me what went wrong, then offer to replace the disks right away. They just told me that the warranty doesn't cover the data, they will not try to recover them and it was my responsibility to have a full back up in case of disk failure. So be warned, a NAS even with RAID still means you need to have one, or even better two back up of your important data.

I had the same experience with a Western Digital Passport drive when I took it to to the WD service Center in Pantip. Was out the door in minutes with a brand new drive.

It was a b*itch to find in Pantip- tucked up in the furthest back corner!