AirAsia announces three new U-tapao routes

craigt3365

AirAsia announces three new U-tapao routes
AirAsia is launching new routes to three destinations, flying from U-tapao Airport to Macau, Singapore and Udon Thani at promotional fares after the success of the U-tapao-Nanning and U-tapao-Nanchang routes.
The airline is promoting U-tapao as a full-fledged flight base able to attract Chinese travellers to the Kingdom's Eastern region this year-end as well as presenting new travel options to Thai people.
Tassapon Bijleveld, CEO of Thai AirAsia, said the carrier was fully ready to launch new routes out of U-tapao-Rayong-Pattaya International Airport, the airline's fifth flight base. Its three newest routes will see daily direct flights to Macau, Singapore and Udon Thani.
He affirmed Thai AirAsia's belief in U-tapao Airport as a commercial flight base, ready to handle the Eastern region's growing tourism sector.
"The reason we are continuously launching new routes from U-tapao Airport this year-end is because we see its potential and the opportunity to draw travel and investment to the Eastern region, whether it is to the popular entertainment destination Pattaya or to Rayong's industrial centre.

Source:

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 28-9-2015

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/AirAsia-announces-three-new-U-tapao-routes-30269765.html

but obviously still no Airport-shuttle to get to/from the Airport, right ? So individual travelers have to surrender to the local transport Mafia.....

May not still be the case, but I found this on TripAdvisor

... limousine service named The Crane Company. This company has serviced a joint mini-bus form Pattaya city to Utapao Airport with a charge of THB250 per person.

For reservation, you could contact +66 81 377 2778. They will ask for more details of your hotel address and your flight details.

Try Mr T Taxi, you don't need a shuttle.

but obviously still no Airport-shuttle to get to/from the Airport, right ? So individual travelers have to surrender to the local transport Mafia.....

please tell us how much Mr T Taxi would be likely to charge?rolleyes.gif I know the Mafia were quoting 800 baht which I wouldn't pay as a matter of principle

Try Mr T Taxi, you don't need a shuttle.

please tell us how much Mr T Taxi would be likely to charge?rolleyes.gif I know the Mafia were quoting 800 baht which I wouldn't pay as a matter of principle

Take one of the white Songthaew heading to Sattahip if you aren't laden with luggage. Maximum of 40 baht.

No high speed rail from Utapao to Pattaya? Now that would be the cat's meow...wouldn't it?

It sure would, no hi-speed anything available at the moment.

Still, very attractive option to drive there and park up for a 2-3 day break to Singapore or KL.

Phuket to Utapao would be great I think, many people like hop beaches

Really? The beaches of Pattaya are nothing more than the sidelines of an open toilet. Raw sewage still flows freely into the Pattaya area ocean doesn't it? It's fine for the sexpats and 3rd world types, but no one who is seeking a beach holiday goes to Pattaya. As for flights to HKT, it isn't likely. The airport is at max capacity and the AoT and TAT prefer to use whatever capacity is available for international flights.

Call me negative if you will, but I have a feeling that Air Asia somehow realized that Chinese low cost travellers managed to turn Don Muang into a nightmare, making travellers of other nationalities angry and therefore p*ssed off at Air Asia ...

It looks like they assume that turning U-Tapao into a 'Chinese terminal' could be the answer to that problem. If that's the plan, bravo Air Asia, as Don Muang could rapidly become a normal airport again.

If that's the case, the connection with Singapore doesn't make much sense, though, because Singaporeans are generally very well behaved, and probably the first in line to be shocked by the behaviour of their mainland 'cousins'.

Edited by Yann55

Phuket to Utapao would be great I think, many people like hop beaches

Really? The beaches of Pattaya are nothing more than the sidelines of an open toilet. Raw sewage still flows freely into the Pattaya area ocean doesn't it? It's fine for the sexpats and 3rd world types, but no one who is seeking a beach holiday goes to Pattaya. As for flights to HKT, it isn't likely. The airport is at max capacity and the AoT and TAT prefer to use whatever capacity is available for international flights.

Yes well U-Tapao airport is closer to Rayong than Pattaya, Koh Samet, Koh Chang etc onward from there, and there are some very nice Beaches in Rayong itself. Pity you seem not to know that. Could you point out exactly where raw sewage flows into the sea (not an Ocean) in Pattaya? I don't recall seeing it for many years.

There is already a daily non-stop flight between Phuket and U-Tapao so well done getting that wrong too!

I flew from UTP to KL in August. Parked my car right in front of the building. Shortest walk to an airport terminal in the world, probably. Parking was free. But when I flew the same route again a month later, I was charged 280 baht for 7 days' parking (presumably 7 x 40). I have no idea how they figure it out as no one checks you in. I suppose a guy goes around the lot every day and keeps tabs on what cars are still there. Still, it's far cheaper than BKK's 250 baht per day. Now the 7 freeway is done, when the tollgates become operational all the way from Pattaya to BKK, the higher tolls will make the UTP option even better. On a good day, it takes 45 minutes to get there from Jomtien. Returning and hitting the road around 4 pm, more like 1 hour. Not a big time saving on the run to BKK and a much riskier road. Whether you follow the 3 past Sattahip or cut through Huay Yai and follow the 331, it's a real obstacle course. One word of warning: On some days, an Air Asia flight comes in from China 15 minutes before the KL flight. If both flights are on time, the immigration area is bursting with braying Chinese tourists. Be sure not to get in the "visa on arrival" line and get stuck behind Chinese tourists as they get their visas processed. The immigration people are far friendlier than their colleagues at BKK, which admittedly isn't very difficult. But the airport food is expensive and mostly terrible. Bring your own. At the gate into the airport, you'll be stopped by a soldier. If you can't speak Thai, simply say "Malaysia" and mime flying and you'll be nodded through. No info on vans/buses. Nothing I could see, but I didn't look very hard as I have my own car.

I flew from UTP to KL in August. Parked my car right in front of the building. Shortest walk to an airport terminal in the world, probably. Parking was free. But when I flew the same route again a month later, I was charged 280 baht for 7 days' parking (presumably 7 x 40). I have no idea how they figure it out as no one checks you in. I suppose a guy goes around the lot every day and keeps tabs on what cars are still there. Still, it's far cheaper than BKK's 250 baht per day. Now the 7 freeway is done, when the tollgates become operational all the way from Pattaya to BKK, the higher tolls will make the UTP option even better. On a good day, it takes 45 minutes to get there from Jomtien. Returning and hitting the road around 4 pm, more like 1 hour. Not a big time saving on the run to BKK and a much riskier road. Whether you follow the 3 past Sattahip or cut through Huay Yai and follow the 331, it's a real obstacle course. One word of warning: On some days, an Air Asia flight comes in from China 15 minutes before the KL flight. If both flights are on time, the immigration area is bursting with braying Chinese tourists. Be sure not to get in the "visa on arrival" line and get stuck behind Chinese tourists as they get their visas processed. The immigration people are far friendlier than their colleagues at BKK, which admittedly isn't very difficult. But the airport food is expensive and mostly terrible. Bring your own. At the gate into the airport, you'll be stopped by a soldier. If you can't speak Thai, simply say "Malaysia" and mime flying and you'll be nodded through. No info on vans/buses. Nothing I could see, but I didn't look very hard as I have my own car.

There are at least a couple of stall/shops there, selling the differing options for transport. One of them being the minibus to and from Pattaya. The option from Pattaya will pick you up from your hotel. Just ask a local travel agent, if the direct number for Crane Travel no longer works. Crane Travel used to service the Bangkok Airways flights.