Struggling to change DNS server with TP-Link

bluesofa

I used to use Open DNS as my DNS server in the past. About a year ago, I noticed my interent seemed slow (well, slower than usual). I happened to check my router (TP-Link TD W8901G).

I noticed the DNS in there was not as I expected. It had been hacked from the outside, I googled the DNS and it showed up as located in Moscow.

At the time I change it back fro 'User discovered', to 'Auto discovered' and went back to the TOT DNS.

I changed the password to access the router too, as the entire country uses the same login & passwords for TOT. I hope that's made it more secure?

Now I've got round to changing to Open DNS again, But I can't seem to save the changes when I alter from 'Auto discovered' to 'User discovered' and adding Open DNS primary & secondary servers.

Clicking on 'Save' then going to another page in the router and coming back, the DNS is 'Auto discovered' again with blanks in the DNS server fields.

Have TOT upgraded their routers, maybe to stop users changing some settings, or have I just lost the plot as well as my memory?

Try a different web browser? Or open your browser with any add ons disabled (safe mode). Sometimes it is an add on that doesn't allow your "save" button to actually save the page. Just a thought.

I use Firefox, not had this problem before. So, I tried usign Opera - no adds-ons at all. Same result - wouldn't save.

Good idea though, thanks for suggesting it.

Overlooked the model there, oops.

Just doing some reading about it. Seems the last firmware update was 2010. Any chance the ISP would give you a new one?

Found someone who found some fix here: http://www.ashout.com/unable-to-resolve-dns-problem-tp-link-router/

Thanks for your reply.

I saw the page in your link, but that only showed you what to do, nothing to with not being able to save changes.(As I said earlier, in the past it would save OK, but now it won't.)

Your suggestion about asking TOT to replace it initially mad me laugh out loud. I can't see them being that helpful because I as a user can't change their settings when it's working alright.

However, I did call the TOT call center.

As an aside, before I even asked them anything, they told me they was a big problem with their international connection and they were still working on it

When I mentioned about not being able to save router changes when altering the DNS settings, it was suggested I take it into my TOT local office. I don't expect them to change it free, as it works, but you never know.

Before I do that, I'd rather try and explore any ideas myself.

I also asked TOT if they had done any upgrade remotely to my router (I think that may be an option, but not sure), They denied anything like that had been done.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

Some of the comments at the bottom of that page had comments about not being able to save. Here is to hoping you get some "help" from them.

OK, I missed the comments from other users st the bottom of the page.

Read them now, the suggestion was to re-install the router software.

I'd be apprehensive to do that, in case the d/l screwed up and I lost all use of the router. However, I checked the TP=Link website (it re-directs to Thai website), but I can't find my model listed anywhere.

I looked on my router and it's on V6 of the firmware already. I think you said the last update was 2010 anyway.

Thanks for your help on this.

Your router was hijacked because it has a flaw that can be exploited any time.

And it seems you can't fix it.

Time to upgrade your router I think.

Meanwhile I had terrible problems with slow browsing, but it wasn't DNS.

I reset my browser and that did the trick.

IF you have all the ADSL configuration data recorded:

then try doing a full reset on the device (either using the menu option, or the hardware reset button) to clear all saved data from memory.

When completed reconnect to your router and re-enter all the setup data and custom settings.

Another option would be to save the current configuration and reload it after a reset, but if the device has issues that issue may be reintroduced from the configuration file. Usually better to re-enter all the data by hand (or use TR-069 option to fetch the subscriber/configuration data from the configuration server).

Just make sure you have all the necessary subscriber authentication and VPI/VCI configuration data handy and verify it's been entered properly into each field.

Then you should be able to set up WiFi and your preferred DNS.

Yes, it's a pain when a device doesn't want to accept/save updates. But usually only a full reset clears that.

We have a TOT tp-link td854w modem router with exact same problem. I'd be interested to hear to outcome to this by the o/p.

Until now I was setting DNS on attached devices but gave up with the Android devices always defaulting to Static IP and being unable to connect due to IP conflict (mentioned in another thread recently).

If I recall correctly the save function worked in a very convoluted way on that unit - I often had issues trying to save something as the simple save did not work unless a set procedure was followed (unfortunately do not recall what it was but found I was doing wrong somehow in manuals or Google).

As Chicog already said that modem/router can be exploited and there will likely never be a fix for that.

A cheap and efficient solution would be to buy a wireless router and put that TP Link in bridge mode so that it only works as an ADSL modem not a router. It can't be exploited that way.

Instructions for switching to bridge mode here:

You can buy a reasonably decent wireless router for THB700-800. Connect a LAN cable from the WAN port on the new router to LAN port 1 on the TP Link. Set the Wan port to PPPoE and use the same TOT user/pass as previously entered in the TP Link.

Apart from no longer being vulnerable to DNS exploits, it will maintain a more stable ADSL connection than with the TP Link alone.

Archived