New bus route 'Suvarnabhumi-BTS Udomsuk' starts next month

webfact

New bus route 'Suvarnabhumi-BTS Udomsuk' starts next month
By Coconuts Bangkok

a1-600_0.jpg
Photo: ​Donmueang Airport Thai

BANGKOK: -- A new bus route from Suvarnabhumi airport to Udomsuk BTS and Bang Na will roll out next month at a fixed fare of THB30.

On Oct. 1, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will launch bus A3, which will run from Suvarnabhumi airport to five stops along Bang Na road including King Kaew intersection, Mega Bang Na, Central Bang Na, Bang Na Intersection and BTS Udomsuk.

On its way back to the airport, the bus will not stop at Bang Na Intersection.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/29/new-bus-route-suvarnabhumi-bts-udomsuk-starts-next-month

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-29

Super-stupid. Why the Bus does not pick up PAX at other Bus stops along the way on Bangna-Trat ?

This would not add more than 2 minutes to the journey time. Ten Thousands live along Bangna-Trat, many of them foreigners

Since when they care about foreigners????

From where will the bus depart the airport? The linked article shows a photo of an "A1" bus at what appears to be the ground level of the airport passenger terminal. (The Thai-language flyer shows the bus with an "A3" sign.) Is that just a generic stock photo, or does the new route depart from the bus terminal, rather than the air terminal?

Edited by wpcoe

From where will the bus depart the airport? The linked article shows a photo of an "A1" bus at what appears to be the ground level of the airport passenger terminal. (The Thai-language flyer shows the bus with an "A3" sign.) Is that just a generic stock photo, or does the new route depart from the bus terminal, rather than the air terminal?

The photo is a stock photo of the A1 bus that goes between DM and BTS Mochit.

Apparently, Coconuts just decided the A1 bus would make a similar photo to the A3 Suvarabhumi to UdomSuk service that hasn't started yet.

FYI, last time I checked, there was a free shuttle bus service (private I believe) already running between BTS Udomsuk and Mega Bangna during the day and into the evening. But that's more of a convenience aimed at Mega Bangna shoppers, and it obviously doesn't continue onward to the airport.

Super-stupid. Why the Bus does not pick up PAX at other Bus stops along the way on Bangna-Trat ?

This would not add more than 2 minutes to the journey time. Ten Thousands live along Bangna-Trat, many of them foreigners

Probably because it is to assist passengers (with luggage) from the Airport to get into the city via the BTS, not assist you getting to where you want to go... (There's other buses for that)... If it stopped everywhere along BT, it would be mobbed...

As soon as i opened this thread I knew there would be a post complaining.

Pray tell what exactly is super stupid about this idea ?? There are already numerous buses that drive along Bangna that the Tens of Thousands and some foreigners can use. Am sure the people getting on at the airport do not want to stop every 2 minutes once the bus hits Bangna Trat Rd and if you believe a few extra stops would take 2 minutes, you obviously don't use that road often.

Again uninformed whingers/like siam2007, who seems unable to read the current buses. SINCE Swampy opened, there has been busline 559, who serves ALL of Bang/NaTrat rd, untill it swishes on the ex/way at Bangna to end in Thonburi/serving all stops and even at lower price as this A3 and thus also serving airport workers quite nicely. Also there was bus 552A, turning left toward SamRond/BangNa, but thats converted to minivan since some years. It hus also stops beneath the BangNa~Baring stop of BTS.

The BMTA has done quite well with that A1/thanks AirAsia and now thinks that its meagre supply of AC/buses could be used for more profit on this route.

THIS special express bus will of course serve the main terminal at swampy.

BTW- do you whingers still recall the 558 via Sukhumvit/Sirikit centre to end Klong Toey= Then it also went minivan and ended the former end of BTS, Onnut, nutill it also dies out.

If memory serves, until a few years ago, there used to be a whole series of public bus lines that connected various parts of central BKK to Suvarnabhumi airport, kind of an airport express service. Had various stops, but not every block like the local lines. I want to say they used to be labeled AE 1 to 4, each having a different route and serving different areas of central BKK to the airport.

Until... for reasons I never remember being clearly explained, the authorities pulled the plug on all of them and they all disappeared. Perhaps because of the opening of the Airport Rail Link line, though I can't recall the timing relationship between the two things happening. At any rate, it's nice to have a new BKK to Suvarnabhumi route restored, and here's hoping this new service lasts longer than my next pair of tennis shoes... whistling.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yes, just what we need, more people with gigantic bags on the BTS. Along with the increased interval times during off-peak periods, it will be even more challenging to board now.

But it is fun watching the tiny Asian women schelpping their HUGE bags down the steps from the platform, through the gates and then down to the street. Occasionally one loses her bag and wipes out several folks bowling alley style.

If it stopped everywhere along BT, it would be mobbed...

Well, it is said to be making some significant stops: five stops along Bang Na road including King Kaew intersection, Mega Bang Na, Central Bang Na, Bang Na Intersection, so expect it will be mobbed.

The article in the OP said the route was to start October 1, so should have been operating several days now. Anybody know where to catch the bus at the airport? Is it ground level of the passenger terminal or is it at the transportation center located off site?

If memory serves, until a few years ago, there used to be a whole series of public bus lines that connected various parts of central BKK to Suvarnabhumi airport, kind of an airport express service. Had various stops, but not every block like the local lines. I want to say they used to be labeled AE 1 to 4, each having a different route and serving different areas of central BKK to the airport.

Until... for reasons I never remember being clearly explained, the authorities pulled the plug on all of them and they all disappeared. Perhaps because of the opening of the Airport Rail Link line, though I can't recall the timing relationship between the two things happening. At any rate, it's nice to have a new BKK to Suvarnabhumi route restored, and here's hoping this new service lasts longer than my next pair of tennis shoes... whistling.gif

The AE1 (Airport Express) to AE 4 lines were stopped as the private concessionaire holders were no longer making the money they previously did once the ARL opened. These were not govt buses. AOT concession.

Some of the BMTA buses routes has since ceased as well eg. 551 (Victory) due to the ARL . The 552 to Southern Bus terminal was changed to Makkasan ARL. Some of these BMTA routes like the 555 operate essentially 24 hrs a day and pax also have the mini van option.

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/119-bus-bmta

• 1 month later...

I know this has not started yet , but going from BTS to Mega Bang Na , will this bus be right at the BTS or ??????

I have never been to Mega Bang Na and would like to go sometime , I have gone to BITEC many times

There's already a free shuttle bus service from BTS Udomsuk to Mega Bangna.

Took this from Swampy to Mega (near my place).

Was literally the only passenger: me, driver and conductor. Was great! Took about 30 minutes, 30 baht, would do it again.

Pick up from the taxi area at the airport, the airport service desk will show you

So the new route has a scheduled stop at Mega Bangna???

How about other points along the route, such as Central Bangna or others, before getting to Udomsuk?

Took this from Swampy to Mega (near my place).

Was literally the only passenger: me, driver and conductor. Was great! Took about 30 minutes, 30 baht, would do it again.

Pick up from the taxi area at the airport, the airport service desk will show you

So the new route has a scheduled stop at Mega Bangna???

How about other points along the route, such as Central Bangna or others, before getting to Udomsuk?

From the OP:

"On Oct. 1, Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) will launch bus A3, which will run from Suvarnabhumi airport to five stops along Bang Na road including King Kaew intersection, Mega Bang Na, Central Bang Na, Bang Na Intersection and BTS Udomsuk."

I know this has not started yet , but going from BTS to Mega Bang Na , will this bus be right at the BTS or ??????

I have never been to Mega Bang Na and would like to go sometime , I have gone to BITEC many times

How is the Shuttle marked ? and what hours ?

I would like to go out there some day :)

How is the Shuttle marked ? and what hours ?

I would like to go out there some day :)

It says "Megabangna" on the front. Every 20 mins or so.