Documents needed to change owner of bike?

Bountyhuntr

Hi everyone,

I have been told I need my passport for verification (normal) and either a WP or a letter from embassy costing 3500 baht confirming my residential address when registering a vechile/bike?

Can someone tell me if this is true? My brother wants to register the bike in my name because he has no WP and states he doesn't want to pay 3500 at embassy for a piece of paper. Is he up to something dodgey or is it the truth? haha!

Cheers.

I'm not sure I trust him 100% as bad as that sounds, that's why I asked for more information as I've never owned or purchased a vehicle here.

I said to him to go to local immigration and get proof of address instead of the rip-off British embassy but he said he only has a tourist visa so he's unable to get it. So if you're on a tourist visa there is no way of owning a

motorbike unless you pay the embassy 3000 baht?????

I brought a Truck on a tourist visa,got a residential certificate from the local Amphure office,it cost 50Baht and Toyota did the rest. Just got a secondhand bike and will see tomorrow if I can get that in my name as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting the green back tomorrow in my name of a secondhand bike,and this time I'm on a 30 day visa exemption. An agent will do the work for 1,000B(all in),but the local Yammy dealer did for 500B as a favour(but I did buy a new bike off them last year).

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I have had one ceritificate of resident from Chaengwattana Immgration Division 1 last 2 months in order to buy motorbike.

I am a student at the University so i am holding Non-ED visa.

The most important thing to get certificate of resident is 90-day report reciept. If u have never reported 90-day, they might not issue that certificate for you.

I spoke Thai with them, the officer always repeat to me that, the address which i have reported and the address which i filled in the form must be the same and he added that now the law of Thailand has been changed due to crime in Rachaprasong last 3 months, it is not easy to get certificate of residence without having 90-day report.

Archived