Out-of-control Thai cop to feel full weight of the law

webfact

POLICE
Out-of-control cop to feel full weight of the law

THE NATION

30269821-01_big.png

BANGKOK: -- A Samut Sakhon-based police officer who allegedly joined his friends in beating up a taxi driver near Bangkok's Royal City Avenue on Monday morning will face disciplinary charges as well as criminal code charges, national police chief Pol General Somyot Poompunmuang said yesterday.

Somyot said he would ensure justice prevails after the injured taxi driver filed a complaint with the police, despite claims that the accused officer, Police Lance-Cpl Boonseth Wutthiwinyuchon, is related to senior officers.

He said the Makkasan police, which apprehended Boonseth and his friend, Chutirat Thanormsingha, have already begun legal proceedings. Boonseth was released on temporary bail, but Somyot instructed the accused officer's supervisor to proceed with disciplinary action against him.

Boonseth, who is based in Samut Sakhon's Krathumban Police Station, was working with the Provincial Police Region 7's Crowd Control Division at the time of the alleged incident.

Boonseth and his friend, Chutirat, both 27, allegedly joined several other friends in assaulting and critically injuring taxi driver Thanin Pramnak, 31, following a reported misunderstanding over a remark the victim made to his friend. which Boonseth thought was directed at him. The police officer allegedly fired his handgun into the air several times before fleeing in a van with his friends.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Out-of-control-cop-to-feel-full-weight-of-the-law-30269821.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-30

Looking at that photo, I get the impression the two of them find their situation slightly amusing.

I hope they have both hands available when the police department investigators throw the book at them.

Hopefully these creeps will be looking for work soon after they finish any prison time.

"Boonseth, who is based in Samut Sakhon's Krathumban Police Station, was working with the Provincial Police Region 7's Crowd Control Division at the time of the alleged incident"

I can see his defence argument right now:

My training just took me over, m'lud.

Edited by Bluespunk

in the picture, among these 5 cops, which ones are the culprits?

yeah, i know that a silly joke for a serious crime.

What about the 6th cop, in the white shirt, did you miss him?rolleyes.gif

6 cops in the picture... no way !

Yes i do see 6 people, but certainly not 6 cops, laugh.png

Actually this picture remember me shopping mall in Bkk, you have half of the staff who play with their mobile, when the others half are sleeping...

same same in the pic...whistling.gif

in the picture, among these 5 cops, which ones are the culprits?

yeah, i know that a silly joke for a serious crime.

What about the 6th cop, in the white shirt, did you miss him?rolleyes.gif

6 cops in the picture... no way !

Yes i do see 6 people, but certainly not 6 cops, laugh.png

Actually this picture remember me shopping mall in Bkk, you have half of the staff who play with their mobile, when the others half are sleeping...

same same in the pic...whistling.gif

Yeah right. 6 people. 5 cops and a ballet dancer in a police station with the 2 arrested bad boys. OK.

Aren't police here supposed to account for each bullet fired from there gun and file a report or are they just given boxes of bullets and are free to fire off as many rounds as they wish?

I should imagine the latter.

In fact as they buy their own guns I would expect that they have to buy their own bullets.

Aren't police here supposed to account for each bullet fired from there gun and file a report or are they just given boxes of bullets and are free to fire off as many rounds as they wish?

In fact as they buy their own guns I would expect that they have to buy their own bullets.

And in Lance Corporal Boonseth's case, he will have to bite his as well.

Looking at that photo, I get the impression the two of them find their situation slightly amusing.

I hope they have both hands available when the police department investigators throw the book at them.

Hopefully these creeps will be looking for work soon after they finish any prison time.

Yes, I would have been happier to see their hands cuffed behind their backs so that they could not hide their amused faces.

Sadly, disciplined may mean yet more inactive posts get filled!

Quote : the injured taxi driver filed a complaint with the police, despite claims that the accused officer, Police Lance-Cpl Boonseth Wutthiwinyuchon, is related to senior officers.

... the dark side of Thailand ... thumbs up to the taxi driver, though, for having the balls ...

What's the chance he's smiling because he's been told he'll be ' looked after ' ?

Somyot said he'll ensure justice is done etc but he's retiring any day now and so much here is said for public consumption only.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Don't want to sound naive but is that true? I have heard that police pay for their own uniforms and equipment but wasn't sure if t was a joke or not.

If so, surely they can't just buy their own guns and bullets?

If I am being gullible then I shall take it on the chin,,,

Anyway, I would think that firing his gun into the air in public would be enough for him to be fired yet alone the terrible assault.

"Somyot instructed the accused officer’s supervisor to proceed with disciplinary action against him."

How about Somyot raise the bar and charge the accused with CRIMINAL ASSAULT & BATTERY?

This shouldn't be just an employee disciplinary action. Only when Thai police are bound by the same penal laws that apply to citizens will be there ever be judicial equality.

Edited by Srikcir

Full weight of the law, 555! Dream on. They will not be doing any jail time whatsoever and definitely wont be looking for a new job. Did you just arrive here?

They will be slapped on the wrist and go back to business as usual. They will feed the media some BS story like they did now and everyone will believe that things are improving.

Move along now

Don't want to sound naive but is that true? I have heard that police pay for their own uniforms and equipment but wasn't sure if t was a joke or not.

Anyway, I would think that firing his gun into the air in public would be enough for him to be fired yet alone the terrible assault.

Yes, they have to buy their own gear incl. guns and bullets.

If you start to observe them you will see that they all have different guns compared to back home where they all carry the same one, or can choose perhaps from a few models.

In Thailand cops can mostly do as they please. Firing into the air is not seen as a crime when carried out by a police officer.

And the assault wasn't really assault. The taxi driver must of asked for it wink.png

Amazingly, I believe that they do. If you look at a group of coppers, each one will have a different firearm, in a different type of holster. One bloke I saw the other day was toting a chrome plated revolver in an open holster, like something out of the Lone Ranger. Another had what looked like an old Colt.45 automatic strapped to his belt. Apart from anything, if the system issues ammunition for such a strange assortment of weaponry it must be a logistical nightmare to get the right bullets for the right gun. Wasn't Somyot involved in some deal to sell them discounted Sig-Sauer pistols?

I agree that it is a bit Fred Karno's Army, but then look at the rest of their antics!

Edited by JAG

Highly likely he will get a slap on the wrist and some money will change hands. TIT.

I fail to see the correlation between release on bail, promised disciplinary action and the full weight of the law. Pretty sure if I did the same I would kiss bye bye to the next 5 years, millions of baht in "compensation" to all parties (BIB included) and have some nice scars of my own from the mob beat down I would no doubt have received.

I hope the cabbie recovers as the brave man he was prior to the cowardly attack and that the cop rots in jail for a few years. But on recent form I certainly can't see the justice system delivering on the latter. Pathetic really