Modifying JDM tuner turbo cars in Thailand

madhav

Hi everyone,

I have been searching through various websites and forums for a another car for around 150-300k that can be tuned and eventually modified for around 450-500hp at the wheels. It seems there is a healthy scene here in Thailand, and I have come up with a few options:

1: A31 Cefiro with a 2JZGTE or 1UZ V8 with a single turbo. (also possibly a RB25 or SR20DET)

2: Lightweight E30 BMW 3 series with either a 1JZ/2JZ, SR20DET or possibly a 1UZ V8 and then put a single turbo.

From there I would do the usual path of adding a single turbo, fuel, breathing modifications etc. The problem is all of the cars I see in Thailand are always automatic transmission. I much prefer a manual. However it appears almost impossible to find anything available. The auto gearboxes are usually not capable of handling 500whp without serious modifications.

The 2JZGTE and 1UZ can work with the getrag V160 (same that came out on the late model supras) or the R154 (5 speed on the mk3 supras) and the nissan engines can work with the stronger FS5R30A 5 speed boxes that came with the R32 GTR and the later model R33 GT T etc.

My first question is: does anyone know if these gearboxes can be purchased and installed? I searched like crazy and couldn't get much info at all.

Second question is: Where does one go to do all the modifications like fabrication of turbo/intercooler pipework. Installation of aftermarket parts etc.

Thanks for your input.

Buy a selection of the Thai tuner magazines and although almost everything is in Thai there are plenty of ads that can be understood for places where you can start your search.

There are places that supply 1/2JZ GTEs with manual gearboxes that advertise and those shops would be able to fit them or point you in the right direction.

What you want to do is very common in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I will take your advice and have a look at some of the magazines. I have many thai friends who can translate also.

I did search through many of the forums (including cefiro specific ones) and there are many people offering to fit the 2jz, might be worth asking them also.

Always better to have a referral from someone who has done it before and has personal experience with a shop. Hopefully there is someone on this forum who has experience in this regard.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I will take your advice and have a look at some of the magazines. I have many thai friends who can translate also.

I did search through many of the forums (including cefiro specific ones) and there are many people offering to fit the 2jz, might be worth asking them also.

Always better to have a referral from someone who has done it before and has personal experience with a shop. Hopefully there is someone on this forum who has experience in this regard.

I have personal experience with SY Unique Performance and what you plan they can do with their eyes shut, so to speak, but they are not cheap. I've known the owners, two brothers, Art and Oak since 1999. Both were educated in New Zealand and speak good English. Their workshops are located near Srinakarin at the start of the Bangkok/Chonburi motorway

In the past they have re-engined Accords and Evos for myself and friends. I've personally driven Cefiros (JZs and RBs), Imprezas, BMW E30s, the blue R32 on their facebook (also on YouTube), a modified Maserati Shamal, all built entirely by their shop. Many of their cars are regularly featured in the local magazines and race at the Bangkok drags. Their other business, SY Antique, rebuilds classics to concourse standards.

https://www.facebook.com/SYUNIQUEPERFORMANCE

Edited by Sviss Geez

Thanks for the reply.

I have personal experience with SY Unique Performance and what you plan they can do with their eyes shut, so to speak, but they are not cheap. I've known the owners, two brothers, Art and Oak since 1999. Both were educated in New Zealand and speak good English. Their workshops are located near Srinakarin at the start of the Bangkok/Chonburi motorway

In the past they have re-engined Accords and Evos for myself and friends. I've personally driven Cefiros (JZs and RBs), Imprezas, BMW E30s, the blue R32 on their facebook (also on YouTube), a modified Maserati Shamal, all built entirely by their shop. Many of their cars are regularly featured in the local magazines and race at the Bangkok drags. Their other business, SY Antique, rebuilds classics to concourse standards.

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I checked out their facebook page and it looks like they definitely do some quality work. I don't have a huge budget but nevertheless it would be worth getting in contact with them especially since they speak good English.

How did you find the E30 compared to the cefiro? I was considering the E30 based on the superior power to weight ratio but have no experience with them personally. I have found a few for sale with SR20 and 1jz retrofitted and this sounds like a winning combination.

Edited by madhav

V160 is 120k++ now, very desirable gearbox

R154 can be had for around 30k

If you want more than 400 bhp then go for a JZ... The SR is a good engine, but doesn't like getting hot.

I can live without the V160, too expensive, the R154 can hold enough hp for me, and if I want more can be built to hold more than enough hp using marlin crawler kits.

Any places you know where you can purchase a R154?

SR running E85 with a set of cams these days have been seen to make decent hp, 400-450whp many examples out there. I like the fact that it is much lighter also.

• 4 months later...

Ok so I got my car, found a cefiro with a 2JZ and 5 speed manual.

I am looking for updates on people who can work on my car. Looking for somewhere close to Samui. Happy to drive a few hours, i.e Surat Thani etc.

Anyone know a workshop? Prefer not to go to Bangkok. It's a long drive :(

Someone recommended a dyno is Surat. Might contact them and see if they can recommend me a workshop who knows their way around a 2JZ. They should have exposure to modified cars.

https://www.facebook.com/Dyno-Point-Mobile-Dyno-Services-795272557182953/

• 2 weeks later...

i am in the same boat as the original poster. Looking for a rear wheel sports car with modified JDM motor. Are there any Facebook groups in Thailand or websites that that cater to this crowd?

What is your budget? I have spent many many hours researching and can give you an idea of options I found.

I would recommend the website kaidee. So many modified cars on there. Use google chrome and can sort of translate.

Racingweb.net has a few nice cars also.

Edited by madhav

i am in the same boat as the original poster. Looking for a rear wheel sports car with modified JDM motor. Are there any Facebook groups in Thailand or websites that that cater to this crowd?

What is your budget? I have spent many many hours researching and can give you an idea of options I found.

I would recommend the website kaidee. So many modified cars on there. Use google chrome and can sort of translate.

For an E36 with 2JZGTE, single turbo, and Fuel Injector upgrades and pump I would expect about 300k-450k depending on condition and other mods. I've looked at cheaper but they were horrid wrecks of Bondo and filler.

I am open to other models. Say a Benz with 1UZ V8. Not a huge fan of the Nissan S14, and the Evo's don't tempt me too much though they are great cars, just bloody boring looking.

For an E36 with 2JZGTE, single turbo, and Fuel Injector upgrades and pump I would expect about 300k-450k depending on condition and other mods. I've looked at cheaper but they were horrid wrecks of Bondo and filler.

I am open to other models. Say a Benz with 1UZ V8. Not a huge fan of the Nissan S14, and the Evo's don't tempt me too much though they are great cars, just bloody boring looking.

If you like 2jz engines, and you can spend that much, then there are plenty of options:

Nissan (A31,200SX, Cedrick)
Mercedes Benz (W123, W124)
Volvo (244,740,760 turbo intercooler, 940).
BMW (E12, E28, E30, E34, E36).
Peugeot (305 505)
TOYOTA (Crown, Cressida,).
Rear-wheel drive pickups/utes of almost every brand. Popular are the smaller hilux.
This one looks ok, might be a 1jz though, but is MT: http://www.taladrod.com/w30/iCar/CarDet.aspx?cid=1703553
This would be nice minus the body kit: https://www.kaidee.com/product-110887437
This would go really hard, probably very harsh for a daily driver: https://www.kaidee.com/product-115380163
This paticular one is a pile of crap, but it might be possible to find others like this in better condition: https://www.kaidee.com/product-115318108
Edit: Don't overlook the old aristo: https://www.kaidee.com/product-115106268
Edited by madhav

Thanks heaps for the links Madhav.

Yes I have looked at four BMWs with 2jzgte and they look fantastic from 10 meters away. Very pretty. Its however only a facade as every car not only had basic panel damage which you would expect from a 10-15 year old car over here but most also had frame damage to where the frame was not straight. That is extensive damage and not just dented fenders, haha. The search continues.

It seems most of the performance cars that I've seen converted were bad accident victims acquired cheap with which to begin the conversation process.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Swiss Geez, I have contacted Oak and we are on the hunt for a decent vehicle. So far a great experience.

Thanks for the reply.

contactwd Oak. Thankyou.

• 4 months later...

I am bumping this thread for the benefit of others in my situation.

I found this facebook group with many many modified cars for sale. Search the following in facebook: ซื้อ ขาย รถซิ่งถูกกฏหมาย เท่านั้น

Or use this link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Genuine.racing.cars/

Kaidee is still pretty good, but everyone in Thailand has facebook so there are more options available.

I will sell my own car on there very soon. A31 Cefiro with 500whp 2JZ single turbo 5 speed manual. Hopefully will get around 300k baht for it as it has had a crazy amount of money spent on it.

Edited by madhav

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, pehsteven said:

Hi guys, anyone can recommend any workshop/garage in bkk, surat or phuket that knows their way around fiesta well?

preferably english speaking

:smile:

Ritter Guenther ECU Thailand ... just look him up. If it's a 'go-quick' you want ... the best flash in town so he says .... I think if it's an 'auto' I'd go a little careful....

https://www.facebook.com/EcuthailandFanpage/   081 773 2434

Edited by JAS21

I have a 2013 2,0 Civic Aut. trans stock car sitting in the garage that I do not use.

I want to keep it automatic and mod it to 400 / 500 Whp.

Can not find much similar - all heavy mods are with manual trans.

Any suggestions ?

Change the car ?

11 hours ago, bkmbkk said:

I have a 2013 2,0 Civic Aut. trans stock car sitting in the garage that I do not use.

Any suggestions ?

Change the car ?

You can turbo it - 250-260 hp. There are some limitations on the torque though, due to the gearbox. I have a 2.0 2004 model and looked into it. There's no way will you get 500-600HP from this motor (without manual and serious mods). Cheap and fast = and old cefiro/bmw/volvo with a 1jz/2jz turbo should be good for that HP. 

For a new car, the civic rs turbo can be tuned for about 210-220 hp in its stock form (chip and a few bolt-ons)

On 07/02/2017 at 1:14 AM, bkmbkk said:

Any suggestions ?

Change the car ?

How about converting to manual (if you can find a box that will handle that kind of power for more than a day)?   Even then, 500bhp at the wheels in a front wheel drive car will be interesting, but not in a good way.