Birmingham uk Consulate now not issuing 90 day non immigrant visa

While one would assume the rules were dictated by the foreign ministry, Thai consulates the world over seem to do their own thing. The fact that you can then change the visa, at immigration, to one that is more suited to your requirements, illustrates the ludicrousness of the situation - and, no doubt, the want of extra bureaucracy, and bunce. There might be other UK consulates that will issue the 90 day one. Otherwise, another country, such as Vietnam.

While one would assume the rules were dictated by the foreign ministry, Thai consulates the world over seem to do their own thing. The fact that you can then change the visa, at immigration, to one that is more suited to your requirements, illustrates the ludicrousness of the situation - and, no doubt, the want of extra bureaucracy, and bunce. There might be other UK consulates that will issue the 90 day one. Otherwise, another country, such as Vietnam.

To "convert" to an "O" visa entry in Thailand requires that the applicant can meet the requirements of an extension of stay. That means 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank or an income of 65,000Bht/month income certified by a letter from the British Embassy.

The same financial requirements must be met before an "O" visa will be issued by any Thai Embassy/Consulate in any of the nearby countries.

Unless you are going to be living in or near Bangkok you may find it best to go to Vientiane or Penang for the non-o visa.

Bangkok is the only office that can do the change now. But they have authorized a few nearby offices (Jomtien is one) to accept the application. It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps.

Is this confirmed and reliable information?. That Bangkok is the only office that can do the change now from Tourist Visa to Non-O/A retirement for people who can meet the necessary conditions...

Thank you all for feedback

Unless you are going to be living in or near Bangkok you may find it best to go to Vientiane or Penang for the non-o visa.

Bangkok is the only office that can do the change now. But they have authorized a few nearby offices (Jomtien is one) to accept the application. It requires 2 trips to immigration to get the visa/entry stamps.

Is this confirmed and reliable information?. That Bangkok is the only office that can do the change now from Tourist Visa to Non-O/A retirement for people who can meet the necessary conditions...

Thank you all for feedback

It has certainly has been confirmed that Bangkok is the only office that can issue the visa. As I said they have authorized a few offices to accept the application who then forward the application to Bangkok for approval.

• Like 1

Thanks and I Didn't realise it only came in a year ago. Definitely the way to go for us, as we can sort everything this end and no rush to open bank account and transfer loads Of baht. We still have our old Bangkok Bank account with a few baht in from 18 months ago, but I guess it will be closed by now, also have shredded our bank book and cards. Well we thought we weren't returning!

Most likely, the Bangkok Bank account will still be open. Thai banks are not quite so quick to close inactive accounts as those in some other countries. Getting a replacement ATM card will not be a problem. I am not sure if the shredded bank book will be an issue. In the distant past, they wanted a police report before issuing replacement bank books. I think this was because, before full computerization, fraud was possible with multiple books. You never know here when archaic regulations will be updated.

• Like 1

Anyone able to comment on which forms would be required when applying to convert Tourist visa into Non O-A for retirement? TM86 Change Visa Form? TM87 Apply for new visa form? TM7 application for extension of stay form? Maybe there are others? Maybe complete them all just to be on the safe side :-)

Anyone able to comment on which forms would be required when applying to convert Tourist visa into Non O-A for retirement? TM86 Change Visa Form? TM87 Apply for new visa form? TM7 application for extension of stay form? Maybe there are others? Maybe complete them all just to be on the safe side :-)

It is not possible to "convert" to an O/A visa

If an O/A visa is required it can only be obtained from the Thai Embassy in your country of residence

• TM86
  • You cannot convert a tourist visa to an Non 'O-A'.
  • If you want a non 'O-A' you need to get it from your home country.
  • You could convert your tourist visa to a Non-Imm which will later be used for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.
  • You will only be granted the conversion if you qualify for a retirement extension.
  • Like 1

If an O/A visa is required it can only be obtained from the Thai Embassy in your country of residence

OK - maybe now O-A exactly but some type of visa which will allow for retirement can be obtained in Bangkok. This is what I was told at the London embassy.

Edited by MyThaiYou

Do you have proof of what you say?

Other people on this forum are convinced that a proper tourist visa issued at an overseas embassy CAN be converted to O/A in Bangkok. This is also what I was told at the London embassy.

What proof do you require?

The advice given by the Embassy is wrong !

You can accept the good accurate advice provided here or fill in the TM86 requesting an O/A visa which I guarantee will not be issued.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

Edited by oncearugge

OK - maybe now O-A exactly but some type of visa which will allow for retirement can be obtained in Bangkok. This is what I was told at the London embassy.

You can obtain an "O" visa entry good for 90 days if you have 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank or 65,000Bht/month income certified by a letter from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Application for an extension of stay based on retirement can be made during the last 30 days of the 90 obtained from the "O" visa entry

• Like 1

It is well worth double checking all information from uk consulates. I also phoned Liverpool consulate who repeated and confirmed non O immigrant visa was now only if married to a Thai. Then told me I couldn't get an O A from the Thai Embassy in London unless I was over 65. When I informed them the website At the Embassy clearly states over 50, I was told they just haven't got round to updating it! Well I phoned the Thai Embassy, good luck with that one, on hold for over 20mins so coudnt confirm.

When I eventually get through I will update on the forum. However I am pretty sure their website is accurate but I will double check.

TM86 change of visa status form to change from a tourist visa entry to a non immigrant visa.

TM87 non immigrant visa application form if you are on a visa exempt entry.

TM7 form after you have a non immigrant visa entry to apply for an extension.

• Like 1

Today I was refused non O. Thai visa Thai Embassy London.Sent proof of earnings above required amount.I am 62 years old. I was told to get a triple entry tourist visa.....

The London Embassy does not provide "O" visas to those not in receipt of a State Pension . This is nothing new.

You could , if you can meet the requirements, apply for an O-A(long stay).

The only other option is a tourist via

• Like 1

Today I was refused non O. Thai visa Thai Embassy London.Sent proof of earnings above required amount.I am 62 years old. I was told to get a triple entry tourist visa.....

I don't recall the embassy ever issuing a non-o for being 50 or ever. They will only do a OA long stay visa.

That holds true for most embassies if you are a citizen or legal resident of the country where the embassy is located.

I don't recall the embassy ever issuing a non-o for being 50 or ever. They will only do a OA long stay visa.

That holds true for most embassies if you are a citizen or legal resident of the country where the embassy is located.

In April 2014 I was issued non-immigration category O from Thai consulate in Birmingham. I was over 50 under 65 with 800,000 THB already on deposit in Thailand. And I can prove it :-)

But sadly those days of easy living are long gone

In April 2014 I was issued non-immigration category O from Thai consulate in Birmingham. I was over 50 under 65 with 800,000 THB already on deposit in Thailand. And I can prove it :-)

But sadly those days of easy living are long gone

I wrote embassy. The honorary consulates were a different story.

You got your non-o before the big shakeup last year.