PM tells VOA of free expressions in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

PM tells VOA of free expressions in Thailand

258-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK:— Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha told Voice of America that his government has never blocked free expressions but, instead, has given a high degree of freedom to the people.

In an interview with the Thai-language section of VOA on Tuesday, the prime minister however said that he disagreed with public protests because the situation in Thailand is not normal and not suitable for such activities.

The prime minister also told VOA that the government would need about 20 months for preparations before there is an election. The political roadmap, he explained, entails six months for the drafting of a new charter, four months for the drafting of charter-related laws, another six months for the preparations to hold a referendum on the draft charter and four additional months for the preparations of the election.

He said that the Thai political situation is different from that of the other countries and, hence, it needs extra time for the transition into the full-fledged democratic system.

The prime minister is confident that the international community will understand the situation in Thailand. He urged friends of Thailand to help the country in its effort to restore democracy in the country.

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-30

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha told Voice of America that his government has never blocked free expressions but, instead, has given a high degree of freedom to the people."

Well, he did say that there would be no coup and that he would not become PM so I guess this is also true.

He urged friends of the country to help retore democracy. Thats exactly what they are doing by asking you to give the country back to the people, hold an election and for you to disappear back to playing a toy soldier.

But you are not listening to anyone but yourself!

"He said that the Thai political situation is different from that of the other countries..........................."

Hence the need for a military coup, muzzling of the press, the draconian use of Lese Majeste laws to repress political opponents, the stifling of free speech and "attitude adjusting" - yes, it's all so clear now why that was urgently necessary..........................

Well now you see the doctor jekyll and Mr jive we have running Thailand , the students must be pissing themselves with laughter, for they are the only ones so far along with some friends to actually have the guts and fortitude to challenge, credibility what's that??? coffee1.gif

Breathe! Breathe!

55555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555+

The straight face got me!

That thought crossed my mind, too.... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Did the reporter ask what Lese Majeste and attitude adjustment were?

If he did that, our dear PM and former general would come home with a furious hate and let it out on ALL THAI AND EXPATS BEINGS, living there beatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gifbeatdeadhorse.gif

We have given freedom of speech, and people can express dissent, except it is not normal situation now, because people keep expressing dissent, so we cannot allow it.

Is very simple: we let people express dissent, except when they are expressing dissent, then it is not normal , so we can't allow them to express dissent. If they did not try to express dissent we would allow them to.

It is "Thainess", maybe you do not understand us.

He urged friends of Thailand to help the country in its effort to restore democracy in the country.

There are already many countries urging the leader to restore democracy to the country but the leader is preventing all those efforts.

Elections? Never.

What the pm doesn't get is friends of Thailand's people, the west, want the people to be able to choose their own leader. I would argue the authoritarian governments like Russia and China have no genuine interest in the people's welfare. It boggles my mind to argue the U.S. is against or doesn't understand the Thai people according to the pm when the only thing required is allowing them representation...

I wonder what the FCCT and Thamasat Students have to say about that?

The FCCT whose president is the disgustingly biased Jonathan Head and Thamasat whose name only ever crops up with some politically motivated red-shirt support (and no prizes for guessing why they are encouraged to do that) ?.

After they did precisely nothing under Pheu-Thai when 'democracy' was (to quote a deputy prime-minister) "We don't need to bother about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out next time" and the complete absence of any comments during the string of dictatorial bills forced through by Parliamentary majority including the amnesty bill or when peaceful protesters were being murdered by the government, it is an act of supreme hypocrisy for them to start complaining now.

The FCCT whose president is the disgustingly biased Jonathan Head and Thamasat whose name only ever crops up with some politically motivated red-shirt support (and no prizes for guessing why they are encouraged to do that) ?.

After they did precisely nothing under Pheu-Thai when 'democracy' was (to quote a deputy prime-minister) "We don't need to bother about minorities. If they don't like it, they can vote us out next time" and the complete absence of any comments during the string of dictatorial bills forced through by Parliamentary majority including the amnesty bill or when peaceful protesters were being murdered by the government, it is an act of supreme hypocrisy for them to start complaining now.

The Nov 1st 2013 edition of the Bangkok Post has an article on Thammassat students protesting against the amnesty bill.

The Nov 1st 2013 edition of the Bangkok Post has an article on Thammassat students protesting against the amnesty bill.

Shushhhh, Apetley. You'll interrupt his "Stupid, buffalo, hateful reds" rant. People like him see only want they want to seen and even then not really clearly. whistling.gif

Because citizens with families, hopes, aspirations were savagely butchered by agents of the state for the temerity of having a different point of view to them and voicing it? Some might think that is worth recalling,

but hey, screw them. You just crack open a cold one and chill, eh? Why spoil your evening?

Edited by baboon

I try to keep an open mind about things but this is too much.

On the recent TV poll I said that we can not believe anything the Police or Military say its all lies

Well this last little outburst of B/S from the P.M. proves it. coffee1.gif

You guys forget what it was like before the coup. I don't approve of dictatorships but we can't have two different groups constantly stirring things up, fighting each other, throwing bombs at each other, taunting each other, etc. Thus I prefer the stability we now have.

The great firewall I don't agree with. He will have to back down on that otherwise he is going to have very unhappy people and that won't be bringing happiness to the people!

You guys forget what it was like before the coup. I don't approve of dictatorships but we can't have two different groups constantly stirring things up, fighting each other, throwing bombs at each other, taunting each other, etc. Thus I prefer the stability we now have.

The great firewall I don't agree with. He will have to back down on that otherwise he is going to have very unhappy people and that won't be bringing happiness to the people!

Your argument is now beyond stale and is good for nothing but the bin.

Violence by the people from any side is a consequence of state violence (matters not the political or apparent ideological conduit): denying proper education, freedom of speech and access to information, plus basic human rights including a right to have a say in who may govern.

Allow people these things and there would be no violence. You can have no good answer to that in reality beyond a barbaric, feudal-minded response that buffalo don't know what's good for them.