Schooling in northern Bangkok

JoopJoop

I've been researching and visiting schools for our yet unborn child (yes, I'm planning early) and am having some difficulty.

Points to note;

We live between Don Mueang and Chatuchak in BKK.

I have the funds for an international school but highly doubt the return justifies the cost (for a young one).

I'm likely to consider an EP program at a school such as Attamit or Int Schools such as St Johns or St Stephens.

We will relocate to Australia regardless in our child's formative years; likely 5-8 years

Can those with any knowledge perhaps provide some insight. I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Personnaly I would not recommend you to let your child go to a public school nor to a private school with a bilingual programme (unless maybe in small villages schools where teachers, parents and students know each others). Early Childhood education is very important and pre-k children should be able to play, experience and be exposed to a variety of things such as: dealing with emotions, acquaring self discipline tools, building vocabulary etc. In Thailand, young children "sit down" "listen" and "obey".. and watching TV is considered as "educational" while "playing" is not: In terms of education, there is room for improvement in Thailand and more so in early years.

I have two young daughters myself, cannot afford an international school sadly and the best ideas I came up with were to either create my own school (the best idea) or keep my children home until they reach 4 yeats old (for a lack of better options).

What is your budget exactly? There are some international school which are reasonable in terms of prices and you could get into one of them for about 100,00 baht for the cheapest ones.

If you want more insights about specific schools please contact me via private emails on Thaivisa forum or on the contact page on Sataban.

Romain

Thanks Romain.

Our decision is to relocate home to Australia when our child is 5-6 years.

My wife would like our child to learn Thai initially and I believe this should be a requirement also.

Options for Int schools close to home for a child in reception at +/- 4 years;

St Johns: 220K Baht/year

St Stephens: 340K Baht/year

Harrow: 520K Baht/year

We can afford all but I can't justify spending a large sum when the cost of education in my country is negligible and available for all children.

I want a secure and happy environment that promotes creativity and child development.

I agree with your thoughts on the requirements for young ones. Sitting down, obeying, listen and repeat with homework doesn't work for me within the Thai system for one at a tender age and, I can't believe the cost of providing an environment that should facilitate the better and more progressive methods, hence relocating home for primary and secondary education in several years.

What to do in the beginning I'm not sure.

I'll be interested to know more of your thoughts and that of others also.