Bkk/Pattaya hospital padding the bill?

giddyup

I have been taking my partner to the dermatology clinic at Bkk/Pattaya hospital to try and cure her persistent dermatitis. A doctor Anna prescribed her some new medication to try, Neotigason, and said that it would be 70 baht a tablet and she would prescribe 10 to trial. She also prescibed a 30grm Dermovate cream. However when we received our bill (5400 baht) the tablets had been doubled to 20 and were 120 baht a tablet, not 70 baht, and the cream size had also been doubled. After I complained they reduced the amounts and the price to 3400 baht.

I should add after at least 6 or 7 visits to this clinic, 20,000 baht poorer, and supposedly seeing the best doctor there, my partner's condition hasn't improved one iota.

Go see Dr. Witchi at St. Louis Hospital on Sathorn road. There's a BTS stop close by. He runs the derm clinic in the hospital. 21st or 22nd floor. Tell him a guy on a motorcycle sent you. BTW, the hospital is non-profit and he's a straight guy.

Go see Dr. Witchi at St. Louis Hospital on Sathorn road. There's a BTS stop close by. He runs the derm clinic in the hospital. 21st or 22nd floor. Tell him a guy on a motorcycle sent you. BTW, the hospital is non-profit and he's a straight guy.

I'm in Pattaya, hence going to the Bkk/Pattaya hospital.

That department is particularly agressive in over charge.... what usually do when presented with a bill like that is to ask for a printed summary that names the drugs and refuse the drugs and buy at pharmacy instead... note there is supposed to be an official government complaint channel for this now.

That department is particularly agressive in over charge.... what usually do when presented with a bill like that is to ask for a printed summary that names the drugs and refuse the drugs and buy at pharmacy instead... note there is supposed to be an official government complaint channel for this now.

The doctor gave the impression that the drugs she prescribed weren't readily available at a pharmacy, because I asked her that very question. I felt after numerous visits to this clinic, many injections, blood tests, skin tests etc, that there was no real interest in actually curing my partner's skin problem, but just stringing it out for as long as possible to extract the maximum amount of money out of me. I actually asked to see Dr Anna as she was recommended on this very forum as supposedly the best in her field, but at the last visit she pretty much said she really didn't know what caused my partner's dermatitis.

They are after the lucrative cosmetic business in that annex of BKK Pattaya hospital... They tried to stitch me up with a chaffing problem after songkran to the tune of about 4000 baht.. just paid the doctor fee and bought the cream in an outside Pharmacy....

P.S. From the medication prescribed, Dr. is suspecting it may not be eczema but rather psoriasis. Which might explain why no response to initial treatment.

She was initially treated for a fungal infection by a different doctor at the same clinic, totally misdiagnosed apparently.

Edited by giddyup

Its still cheap even after being padded. Try the same steps back in your birth country and see how insane it gets.

I don't know about you, but I take umbrage at having a bill padded, and I'm not talking a 100 baht but 2000 baht. I wouldn't mind if there were results but there aren't, and in my birth country treatment would be free, so you're way off base.

Edited by giddyup

Its still cheap even after being padded. Try the same steps back in your birth country and see how insane it gets.

I don't know about you, but I take umbrage at having a bill padded, and I'm not talking a 100 baht but 2000 baht. I wouldn't mind if there were results but there aren't, and in my birth country treatment would be free, so you're way off base.

And the meds? Where I'm from the dispensing fee for just counting 20 pills and putting them in a plastic bottle would equal about 2000 baht. Mind, the plastic container must be an expensive commodity. I've never seen it here.

Really? is it you getting the treatment? thought it was the mrs. Good luck getting an Asian free treatment back in your home town coffee1.gif

Really? is it you getting the treatment? thought it was the mrs. Good luck getting an Asian free treatment back in your home town coffee1.gif

You said "back in your birth country" and seeing I'm the one writing this post, I assumed you meant me, but what it would or would not cost anywhere else but Thailand is totally irrelevant. A Pad Thai might cost $15 back home and 80 baht here, so what?

Dermatology is in a seperate building, I was there also a few days ago, and the bill shocked me as well, no medication, only a consultation with the dermatologist for 3500 baht, which is absurd, as last time I had a consultation with a psychiatrist and there I only paid like 1500-1700 baht or something. No idea why they hike the prices so much but I almost suspect it's like some seperate entity trying to rip you off.

show us a copy of that and I'll believe it. Had several visits with Anna there after recommendations on this forum and whilst her apparently being the most expensive never seen any consultation fee of 3500

Dermatology is in a seperate building, I was there also a few days ago, and the bill shocked me as well, no medication, only a consultation with the dermatologist for 3500 baht, which is absurd, as last time I had a consultation with a psychiatrist and there I only paid like 1500-1700 baht or something. No idea why they hike the prices so much but I almost suspect it's like some seperate entity trying to rip you off.

show us a copy of that and I'll believe it. Had several visits with Anna there after recommendations on this forum and whilst her apparently being the most expensive never seen any consultation fee of 3500

My fault, things were spread out over two bills during the same day, see my other post below.

Edited by dennis123

Dermatology is in a seperate building.. EDIT: Unintended false accusation removed!!!

Found them, 29 September, two bills, let's go:

First one:

Drugs and Parental Nutrition 1.1.1 - Medication 1.1.1 - 1920 baht

Physican Evaluation and Management Services 1.2.1 - 1500 baht

Total: 3420 baht

I think that one was doing a test with a psychologist, follow up talk with psychiatrist and medication so I confused those two a bit but let's check the next one from the same day as I paid the above one later at the day (I just checked the time/date)

Second one:

Special Diagnostics 1.1.6 - 1800 baht

Packaged Medical Charge 1.1.14 - 190 baht

Physican Evaluation and Management Services 1.2.1 - 1000 baht

Total: 2990 baht.

This second bill was paid earlier at the Dermatologist.

I think I already understand what happened as they likely use a central billing system, eg I did this test with the psychologist, and then had to wait 1.5 hour before the psychiatrist so in between I went to the Dermatologist so i guess they still saw an open bill from the psychological test and added that to the bill from the Dermatologist, yeah I guess that's what happened as I see no mention of that on the other bill.

So ok my fault, just reported it to a mod as I can't edit that post anymore.

Edited by dennis123

Hmm let's see how much I paid this year on medical costs, well it was quite an unusual year for me with a lot of issues and lots of visits, pharamcies included.

Let's put it at 35-40k baht all together, that's approx 1000 euro.

I didn't pay health insurance this year, in my country that comes down to about 150 euro/month or 1800 euro/year.

Guess not such a bad deal after all the padding :)

Last year was a lot cheaper though, think I only spend 8k baht on pharmacy + clincs that year, saving myself a nice 1600 euro!

The doctor gave the impression that the drugs she prescribed weren't readily available at a pharmacy, because I asked her that very question. I felt after numerous visits to this clinic, many injections, blood tests, skin tests etc, that there was no real interest in actually curing my partner's skin problem, but just stringing it out for as long as possible to extract the maximum amount of money out of me. I actually asked to see Dr Anna as she was recommended on this very forum as supposedly the best in her field, but at the last visit she pretty much said she really didn't know what caused my partner's dermatitis.

One thing worth trying - ask them for the name of the medicine they recommend and by it outside. I get my high blood pressure meds at about 4% of BPH cost in india.

giddyup, I understand that you are just trying to get the best help for your partner.

Please stay away from the Bangkok group of hospitals, they rip everyone off and get away with it.

I go to the main gov hospital in Korat for my heart condition and see a wonder Doctor. He said to me when

he wrote out the meds for me to buy them outside as they are much cheaper. I have never had a Hospital Dr tell me that before.

I have had a lot of bad experience in Thailand with Doctors & Hospitals but this current hospital and Doctors are truly great.

Mate I know this does not help your problem but I'm just saying.

Good luck. coffee1.gif

A number of inappropriate posts have been removed.

Substantial mark ups on drugs at private hospital pharmacies is a well known problem and one not limited to foreign patients. There is talk of legislation to control it. In the meantime whetever possible avoid buying drugs in the hospital.

I would love to buy the drugs at a pharmacy, but the dermatology center at BHP gives me lotions they have formulated themselves (in their own bottles with no name on it).

The bill has no detail, just a total price for medication, when I get four different meds. I figured it was useless to ask for the names of the drugs.

Are these medications I can buy in a pharmacy? I think they are expensive with cost of medications usually around 1k baht.

I don't think I should have to demand the name and price of the drugs dispensed.

I would love to buy the drugs at a pharmacy, but the dermatology center at BHP gives me lotions they have formulated themselves (in their own bottles with no name on it).

The bill has no detail, just a total price for medication, when I get four different meds. I figured it was useless to ask for the names of the drugs.

Are these medications I can buy in a pharmacy? I think they are expensive with cost of medications usually around 1k baht.

I don't think I should have to demand the name and price of the drugs dispensed.

I imagine you have the right to know exactly what medication they are giving you, and the choice to buy elsewhere and cheaper.