Thai govt backs off for now from single Internet gateway idea

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I say it again...whats the difference for the Govt. to monitor the current 10 gateways as opposed to only one?

And shielding Thai youth from abuse should start at home where they should be shielded from the military nationalistic brainwashing.

I say it again...whats the difference for the Govt. to monitor the current 10 gateways as opposed to only one?

And shielding Thai youth from abuse should start at home where they should be shielded from the military nationalistic brainwashing.

Nothing. All networks are monitored with an NMS (Network Management System). Have one or have 100 only difference is the number of monitors (Computer screens) and space to install them

Edited by gandalf12

I have been told by a IT guy who works in Bangkok that Thailand already has a single international gateway but it is not publicized.

That's somewhat true. From what I've been able to determine, there appear to be 3 at the moment, but only 1 major one (I seem to remember that CAT own it and everyone else buys bandwidth from them, though not 100% sure on that), with a second major one planned but not yet live, so that would make in the future four International Internet Gateways (IIG) plus overland (via Cambodia, Vietnam etc which could increase that number quite a bit).

I guess they were looking to see if they could get this plan in place before the next major ocean based IIG went into effect.

[Edit]: I should clarify, that earlier posts suggest 10 IIG's where I'm saying only 3, but I'm talking about direct from Thailand to other continents, and not just international in terms of routing through neighbouring countries.

Edited by Shiver

There are 10 international Internet gateway operators in Thailand.

1-ADC-IIG ADC International Internet Gateway Advance Datanetwork Communications

2-BBConnect-IIG BB Connect Internet Gateway BB Connect

3-CAT-IIG International Internet Gateway CAT Telecom

4-CSL-IIG CS Loxinfo International Internet Gateway CS Loxinfo

5-JASTEL-IIG JasTel International Internet Gateway JasTel

6-Symphony-IIG Symphony International Internet Gateway Symphony Communication

7-SBN-IIG SBN International Internet Gateway Super Broadband Network

8-TCCT-IIG TCCT International Internet Gateway TCC Technology

9-TIG-IIG True International Internet Gateway True Internet

10-TOT-IIG TOT International Internet Gateway TOT

To perhaps state the obvious, it is crystal clear that they did not back down.

Interesting that they feel they need to explain now that they have had their computers hacked. Not that what they have said means anything.

I think also, that no matter what they try and do, people will eventually find ways around it. The technology is too flexible and innovations will likely be coming if they aren't already here to get around these things. The internet is problematic for every government on earth for many good reasons and these guys think they are going to win the struggle by simply proclaiming that they will call the gateway something else and that people will just shrug it off and accept that?

Will be very interesting to see how this pans out. I for one will not just forget all about it by next week, next year or the next decade and I'm sure many people are the same.

gigglem.gif So they will just change the name so as to confuse the public, seriously, are these people for real?facepalm.gif Do they think the public are as dumb as they are?blink.png

Yes they do.

Remember the people running this regime are from the " pre Internet generation" if you like.

They don't understand it or use it . The concept of universal free access to information, opinions and communication is anathema to them.

If they close it, on purpose or through this ignorance it will cause a huge rumpus. Look around you, Line, Facebook and the rest of the net are the major communication and leisure activities amongst the younger generation. It doesn't matter if 90% is pointless chatter, that is true of virtually all social interaction.

The people driving this simply do not understand this.

Edited by JAG

gigglem.gif So they will just change the name so as to confuse the public, seriously, are these people for real?facepalm.gif Do they think the public are as dumb as they are?blink.png

Yes they do.

Remember the people running this regime are from the " pre Internet generation" if you like.

They don't understand it or use it . The concept of universal free access to information, opinions and communication is anathema to them.

If they close it, on purpose or through this ignorance it will cause a huge rumpus. Look around you, Line, Facebook and the rest of the net are the major communication and leisure activities amongst the younger generation. It doesn't matter if 90% is pointless chatter, that is true of virtually all social interaction.

The people driving this simply do not understand this.

Not to mention how much money is being invested by Thai and foreign companies on fiber optics and those contractors who are installing it all over Bangkok right now! We are talking billions of baht invested in this. If the current government goes ahead and reduces the 10 existing gateways to just one then the investors will uproot and head off else where. The digital economy is vital to Thailand at the moment with slow growth forecasted and China slowing also this year.

Aside from the numerous issues already mentioned, when they implement this their latest scam over the Thai buffalos, just like gambling et al. they will no doubt have one internet for the masses and privately have a different one for themselves.

Same as how drugs are illegal yet the dirty imbeciles in brown rarely seem to notice the many Nigerian dealers walking Sukhumvit every single day.

Such is the nature of Thai 'power'.