Residents in 7 central Thai provinces told to brace for water crisis next year

webfact

Residents in 7 central provinces told to brace for water crisis next year

12-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People living in the Mae Klong river basin which seven provinces have been advised to brace themselves for water crisis next dry season and to use water sparingly.

The advisory was issued by Mr Thanarath Poommakasikorn, director Srinakharind dam in Kanchanaburi, who disclosed Thursday that the dam now holds just about 5,000 million cubic metres of water compared to the normal volume of 8,000 million cubic metres.

The amount of water at the Vajiralongkorn dam, also in Kanchanaburi, is also below normal level, he said, adding that there won’t be enough water for farming next year but just enough for consumption.

In anticipation of acute water shortage next year, he suggested people in Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri, Samut Songkhram, Petchaburi and Samut Sakhon not to waste water.

Farmers, he said, should shift to crop which consume less water and should avoid second-crop farming because the crops may be damaged due to lack of water.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/residents-in-7-central-provinces-told-to-brace-for-water-crisis-next-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-10-02

Do these announcements have any substance behind them, are they actually directives that are to be followed up by the relevant departments or authorities, do the farmers receive guidance from those with expertise in water management.

Is there no proactive plan for this crisis? Am I to believe a country in the tropics, is to run out of water!

So now he has told them, it is no longer his responsibility.

Edited by Oziex1

What 7 provinces will be affected. would be nice if they wrote that in the article. I would like to know I live central.

In anticipation of acute water shortage next year, he suggested people in Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Pathom, Suphan Buri, Samut Songkhram, Petchaburi and Samut Sakhon not to waste water.

From the linked article in the OP.

What 7 provinces will be affected. would be nice if they wrote that in the article. I would like to know I live central.

From the linked article in the OP.

thanks I read it 3 times and never grasp that must be getting old.

Thais believe in live for today, don`t worry about tomorrow. Unless restricted water use is enforced by law, involving large fines for offenders as a deterrent, then making a polite suggestion is a total waste of time.

Do these announcements have any substance behind them, are they actually directives that are to be followed up by the relevant departments or authorities, do the farmers receive guidance from those with expertise in water management.

Is there no proactive plan for this crisis? Am I to believe a country in the tropics, is to run out of water!

So now he has told them, it is no longer his responsibility.

Yes...not that unusual.

There are wet tropics and dry tropics.

Northern Australia is in the grip of a drought and has been for some years.

Google El Nino, La Nina.