Four foreign tourists caught up in Chiang Mai karaoke bar ‘scam’

webfact

27 bottles of beer, food, VIP section with 4 'ladies' all night.

14000, doesn't sound like a scam to me.

Cheap Charlie Communist Chinese.... sort of has a ring to it.

Happened to me and some friends at Ubon a long time ago. We didn't invite the ladies. They joined us and started drinking and eating with us. Then the bill came, but we refused to pay. We asked them to list what we bought, and to our surprise, there was an entry for tip and another one for the ladies. When we asked them why we had to pay the ladies, they said they sat with us for hours. We'd already tipped them for singing, as well as buying them flowers.

We told them they weren't invited, but that we allowed them to drink and eat with us because of our good nature. We paid for only the food and drinks and left. I've never been a a Karaoke bar since then.

• Like 1

27 beers x 100 baht = 2,700

4 x bar fines @ 1,000 = 4,000

4 x VIP Room @ 1,000 = 4,000

4 x Short Times @ 1,000 = 4,000

Total = 14,700

Looks like it was 700 for the small amount of food.

Send the buggars back.

They're all noisy ignorant F($&^*$S anyway.

Where did you read the 4 barfines and 4 shorttimes?

If you take 4 birds to a VIP room you pump them in it.

Ever been to Shanghai? This scenario is superbly terrifying in the wrong places I have been told. You just get pumped by thugs.

Total = 14,700

Send the buggars back.

Ever been to Shanghai? This scenario is superbly terrifying in the wrong places I have been told. You just get pumped by thugs.

Shanghai?????????????

It was in Chiang Mai not Shanghai.

Yes I have been to Chiang Mai. I used to live there.

Ok, let's see. 27 bottles of beer, plus food, plus VIP area, plus girls to keep them company. And they're bitching about 14,000 baht? Sounds like Cheap Charley Chinese to me.

Shhhh, don;t want them knowing Pattaya is far cheaper.

27 bottles at 100 baht, plus 300 baht food and 4*1000 for each girl = 7,000 baht. Which is what the bill was negotiated down to. That seems fair for a night's entertainment. 14k is OTT, but not outrageous.

Morale - don't go into Karaoke bars along Chang Klang road - if that's where they went.

white farang talk on internet. they learn.

china farang he no learn yet.

"Local police were called and took all those involved to Chiang Mai police station, where the incident was finally resolved as the Chinese men reluctantly agreed to hand over 7,000 THB in payment."

"Welcome Chinese Farang to Thai police station. I understand you had a problem in MY bar last night?"

• Haha 1

Total = 14,700

Send the buggars back.

I understand that you'll pay the girls to sit with you in these kind of places, but let me ask you again, where did you read 4 barfines and 4 shorttimes?

Did you make up this summary to prove to yourself they weren't overcharged?

They were. Not by an awful lot of money, but they were.

Edited by DeeMak9

Total = 14,700

Send the buggars back.

I understand that you'll pay the girls to sit with you in these kind of places, but let me ask you again, where did you read 4 barfines and 4 shorttimes?

Did you make up this summary to prove to yourself they weren't overcharged?

They were. Not by an awful lot of money, but they were.

"I understand that you'll pay the girls to sit with you in these kind of places"?????????

No you don't understand at all. You don't pay them to sit with you at all. You buy them drinks, get them drunk, pay the bar fine then bang them, then pay for the short time. Thats how it works in a VIP room.

They weren't over charged, thats the going rate.

You should try it sometime.

• Like 2

These stories always make me laugh. Always know what you're paying for and the amount before you pay. These people wait till the bill and then get angry.

Even here in my own country I make sure to learn what something costs before I take it or use it whether it be a taxi service or drinks.

I've been in a fair few Chinese KTVs over the years... in China you never bang the hostesses in the KTV (you may negotiate for them to accompany you home or to a hotel) and I suspect that while the gentlemen involved here will probably have had a lot of groping going on... they won't have had sex on the premises. So no bar fines, no short-time rates. Then you get 27 bottles of beer (say 150 baht each) and say 1000 baht for each girl to accompany them in the room plus maybe 300 baht for the room itself. 7,000 Baht seems more reasonable than 14,000... but yeah, these scams are global. I know plenty of young lads who have visited a SOHO "strip club" in London to find themselves facing bills of up to £1,000.It's the way of the world.

been one time in karaoke in bkk and when i pay 500b for 1 small singha and say i will never come back to karaoke lol

i was right

and if you want to sing go to big c or the mall or central festival for sing 10 b the song 55555+++

Edited by thai006

• 2 weeks later...

And anther story makes it onto the world wide web. With emphasis on world wide.destroying millions of baht in tourism income. Thais really are their own worst enemy....?

Destroying millions of baht in tourism! How many people do you estimate cancel their holiday because of a story like this that is of no great interest to most news outlets? My guess would be 2 or 3, but probably none. I don't know if you noticed but tourism is still on the rise in Thailand. If I saw saw a story like this I would use it as a warning about Karaoke bars, not as a reason not to visit. I assume most people are similarly intelligent enough to reach the same conclusion.

Not very dramatic or negative, I know.

• Like 1

27 bottles of beer, food, VIP section with 4 'ladies' all night.

14000, doesn't sound like a scam to me.

Cheap Charlie Communist Chinese.... sort of has a ring to it.

I have no need to read longer the posts on this thread because

your post would stay my favourite anyway clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

And anther story makes it onto the world wide web. With emphasis on world wide.destroying millions of baht in tourism income. Thais really are their own worst enemy....?

Destroying millions of baht in tourism! How many people do you estimate cancel their holiday because of a story like this that is of no great interest to most news outlets? My guess would be 2 or 3, but probably none. I don't know if you noticed but tourism is still on the rise in Thailand. If I saw saw a story like this I would use it as a warning about Karaoke bars, not as a reason not to visit. I assume most people are similarly intelligent enough to reach the same conclusion.

Not very dramatic or negative, I know.

So do you think the story has a negative or positive effect on the image of Thailand? (Or the very unlikely neutral.) Events like this point to Thailand being a strange place, and of course give fear to the unknown. It's not just that someone's bike was stolen or something like that, it's just a very strange series of events, that puts a lot of uncertainty into a visit. People don't know if this similar sort of thing will happen when they rent a room or a car for example. As locals we know the places to stay away from, but for the average person that hears about something like that, they are going to think it's the norm across all businesses.

So do you think the story has a negative or positive effect on the image of Thailand? (Or the very unlikely neutral.) Events like this point to Thailand being a strange place, and of course give fear to the unknown. It's not just that someone's bike was stolen or something like that, it's just a very strange series of events, that puts a lot of uncertainty into a visit. People don't know if this similar sort of thing will happen when they rent a room or a car for example. As locals we know the places to stay away from, but for the average person that hears about something like that, they are going to think it's the norm across all businesses.

I think it's largely irrelevant. This one barely made teh local Chiang Mai news, but would a minor dispute over a couple thousand baht bill make the news in China or Europe? Plus, for each incident there are literally hundreds of glowing reports of tourists via Facebook, Weibo et al.

Also if anyone's in doubt, tourism is booming in Chiang Mai, finally. (After all these lean years.)

http://www.newsunited.com/chiang-mai-revels-in-year-round-news/19349656/

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how posters on here would have reacted if this story had an angle of " Four Chinese man refuse to pay for their services" ?

14 000 Baht between eight people comes to about 1700 Baht each , quite reasonable .

This isnt a bar, so drinks would be

150 Baht , x 27 = 4000 B

Four girls 500 Baht service = 2000 Baht

Girls drinks 200 Baht each drink , five drinks per girl =4000 Baht

Food for eight people 4000 Baht .

Plus whatever in the VIP area .

14000 Baht is the going rate .

This is not a scam , the only scammers here are the Chinese men

• Like 2

I think it's largely irrelevant. This one barely made teh local Chiang Mai news, but would a minor dispute over a couple thousand baht bill make the news in China or Europe? Plus, for each incident there are literally hundreds of glowing reports of tourists via Facebook, Weibo et al.

Also if anyone's in doubt, tourism is booming in Chiang Mai, finally. (After all these lean years.)

http://www.newsunited.com/chiang-mai-revels-in-year-round-news/19349656/

This confirms my observations. It has been feeling like Chiang Mai has been inundated with tourists throughout the year, including the low season.

• Thanks 1

They better stay away from Beer Republic.....27 beers will be more than 7000 there. OTOH, a friend and I did 15 large, which is 810 ml more than 27 small, and our bill was 657 THB (5 for 219 promo x 3). Many have a knack for doing things the hard way.

Edited by bangmai