Happy Sausage Surprise in Chiang Mai!

FolkGuitar

Interesting timing on this one too! Just the other day I was complaining that I couldn't find a really good German sausage anywhere in Chiang Mai. I really, really do love good, strong-flavored sausages. I tried several different brands sold at Tops and at Rimping, and most were 'OK... but' though none stood out as being really what I used to eat in Germany. Until tonight.

Yesterday I was in Tops supermarket (Chottana) picking up some odds and ends that I can't get in the fresh markets, when I happened to notice a young Thai couple setting up a display of various kinds of German sausage. I already had dinner planned out and purchased so I didn't buy any, but I was drooling over the names I was reading. Good plan for the next night's meal!

So today I returned to Tops and went wild. I bought two of everything; Bokwurst, Mettwurst, Nuremburgerwurst, Thuringerwurst, Bratwurst, Weinerwurst, Frankfurterwurst (All Beef no less!) A pretty complete taste-test! There were several larger sausage types such as Bologna and other salamis that I passed up as there are only two of us to feed.

This evening I grilled them all.... ate them with brown mustard, some hot sauerkraut, and crusty bread, and just about cried from happiness! These were about as good as any that I used to eat in Europe. Hands down, the very best that I've tasted so far in Chiang Mai since the butcher in Pattaya passed away. The Thuringerwurst was EXACTLY the way I like it, the Mettwurst just the right degree of spiciness... and although a lot of folks prefer to boil bratwurst in Beer (German-Americans from Milwaukee insist on it,) I prefer to grill it and I did. And it was great!

I wish I could tell you the name of the company that is making these. I was having so much fun picking them out and thinking about how they might taste that I never bothered to look to see if there WAS a brand name for them! All of these were displayed loose on ceramic trays in the Meat Counter, extreme right hand side, in Tops Supermarket (Chottana.) I'd assume they are in the Tops at KSK as well, but I don't know that as a fact. What I do know is that these were, as a whole, the best I've tasted here in town!

Edited by FolkGuitar

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many local mades. Rimping features a good choice of the small producers, also for bread, sauerkraut, pickles.... Tops I have not tried, no one nearby. Central Airport perhaps. But try Kad Farang in Hang Dong....

There are so many local mades. Rimping features a good choice of the small producers, also for bread, sauerkraut, pickles.... Tops I have not tried, no one nearby. Central Airport perhaps. But try Kad Farang in Hang Dong....

Over the years I've tried virtually ALL the locally made sausages that I could find in Chiang Mai. Until about 6 years ago there was butcher down in Pattaya who made absolutely fantastic German and British sausage (his Cumberland Sausage was the best I've ever eaten... made as a traditional 'circular ring' sausage with VERY coarse-ground pork, visible sage and thyme, with just the right balance of mace, nutmeg, and pepper...Oh my! LOL!) and sold his products in Rimping. But the fellow passed away and his wife was unable to maintain the business. Since then there have been several butchers selling sausage, and as I said before, most were OK, just not something to write home about. There are two brands of Cumberland sausage being sold locally right now, but both are links, both are a finely ground as a wiener rather than coarse-ground as a Cumberland should be, with just a hint of seasonings rather than the full-bodied taste of a true Cumberland sausage. And that is the case that I find with the various German-style sausages being sold; a decent sausage but not a great one. Until now.

I've tasted all the sausages being sold at Rimping and Tops. I've tasted those sold at several different restaurants that advertise German sausages. And they've all been OK. Just nothing special. In some cases I wasn't even able to tell what kind of sausage I was eating just from the taste. I had to look at the name on the wrapper. To 'me,' that's not how it should be. Thankfully, now there is a line of German sausage that ARE worth writing home about!

Who knows? Perhaps soon someone will be selling a really good Italian sausage too. Then I can stop making my own. Italian sausage needs to be made and eaten fresh, and it's difficult to make just a small batch. I'd like to be able to buy it when I want it, but it's got to be good, and it's got to taste like Italian sausage, not just ground pork with some fennel and nutmeg in it.

We always simmer the brats in beer and then grill them.

That is the most popular US method of cooking them. Wisconsin is considered the origin of the "beer brat," popularized in the 1920s. Every year, during the Memorial Day weekend, the city of Madison, WI hosts the "Brat Fest," which is billed as the "world's largest bratwurst festival."

From Wiki: A bratwurst (German: [ˈbʁaːtvʊɐ̯st] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.png listen)), also known as a brat in American English, is a sausage usually composed of veal, pork or beef. The name is derived from Old High German Brätwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and Wurst, or sausage. Though the brat in bratwurst described the way the sausages are made, modern Germans associate it with the German verb “braten”, which means to pan fry or roast.[1] Bratwurst is usually grilled or pan fried, and sometimes cooked in broth or beer

So which Tops was it then, FolkGuitar? What is Chottana? Happy to give it a try smile.png

And yes, you do not only marinade them in beer, you use beer all over the grill, fantastic smell. I miss that....

Edited by MadMac

Goodness, that's in Florida? 555

Ok, the Chotana is at the Mercure. Been there, was not too impressive. But I did not look for Bratwurst either.

Yes, the Tops supermarket behind the Mercure Hotel off Chiang Puak (Chottana) Road.

They only put their display up late Thursday (10/1) afternoon. If you were looking before yesterday, you wouldn't see them. These are NOT in the regular display case on the left side wall. These are displayed loose inside the butcher's display counter, at the extreme right-hand side, sitting in white ceramic trays.

These are NOT in the regular display case...

Thanks, guessed so. Other side of the town anyway. That's why I suggested Rimping. They have hidden treasures. Just found some liver sausage in glasses from Jo's (german bakery, they also make pickles). Or you can go to San Kampheng's Gunter, G&M, they also have the stuff stocked in some Rimping's.Got some really nice smoked bacon, not cooked. Both were in Kad Farang, just stumbled accross by chance.

Over the years I've tried virtually ALL the locally made sausages that I could find in Chiang Mai. Until about 6 years ago there was butcher down in Pattaya who made absolutely fantastic German and British sausage (his Cumberland Sausage was the best I've ever eaten... made as a traditional 'circular ring' sausage with VERY coarse-ground pork, visible sage and thyme, with just the right balance of mace, nutmeg, and pepper...Oh my! LOL!) and sold his products in Rimping. But the fellow passed away and his wife was unable to maintain the business. Since then there have been several butchers selling sausage, and as I said before, most were OK, just not something to write home about. There are two brands of Cumberland sausage being sold locally right now, but both are links, both are a finely ground as a wiener rather than coarse-ground as a Cumberland should be, with just a hint of seasonings rather than the full-bodied taste of a true Cumberland sausage. And that is the case that I find with the various German-style sausages being sold; a decent sausage but not a great one. Until now.

I've tasted all the sausages being sold at Rimping and Tops. I've tasted those sold at several different restaurants that advertise German sausages. And they've all been OK. Just nothing special. In some cases I wasn't even able to tell what kind of sausage I was eating just from the taste. I had to look at the name on the wrapper. To 'me,' that's not how it should be. Thankfully, now there is a line of German sausage that ARE worth writing home about!

Who knows? Perhaps soon someone will be selling a really good Italian sausage too. Then I can stop making my own. Italian sausage needs to be made and eaten fresh, and it's difficult to make just a small batch. I'd like to be able to buy it when I want it, but it's got to be good, and it's got to taste like Italian sausage, not just ground pork with some fennel and nutmeg in it.

Where do you get the skins to stuff the sausages into?

I asked this question a while back and was told Makro. Of course I haven't been there since.

biggrin.png

Edited by Chicog

Personally, I usually don't use them for Italian sausage or Breakfast sausage, which are the two that I make most often, although if I wanted them, I'd ask my butcher at the talat. I'm sure she could get them. Just try asking at the meat counter of your local fresh market. They can probably have them for you by the next day. Probably easier for them to get natural casings rather than the casein ones.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On the sausage front

For a decent Italian Sausage...

You need to head out to Ragu at Promenada and buy some from their deli

Sausage King for English Sausages

And I've heard some very good reports about Chiang Mai Smokehouse

https://www.facebook.com/Chiangmai-Smoke-House-658296974188416/timeline/

I'll give Ragu a try. I wasn't aware of them. But I worry about the term 'decent.' I can make 'decent.' I want really GOOD! :)

I've tried all the Sausage King sausages. They are 'decent' as well. And Yorkies, too.

Most of the ones I bought from Tops the other day were a major leap up the scale from 'decent!' The Thuringerwurst, Mettwurst, and Nurembergerwurst were GREAT!. The Bokwurst and Bratwurst were really GOOD. The beef Frankfurterwurst were just decent...

If I can find a GREAT Italian sausage to round out the list, I will be a very happy camper. I'm content to continue to make my own Breakfast sausage. That's the easiest of all to get right, and can be done with just 300gm of pork if making 'bulk' sausage rather than links.

My vote goes to Gunther and his G & M Meats out in the Doi Saket boonies...... literally a German butcher from the old country and now has a very successful meat business and restaurant out there. Been friends with him for over 20 years and he knows his business. Excellent products and draws capacity crowds from Bkk on the week ends. Great success story , from just a little 3 table area to now seating hundreds on the week ends. G & M Meats.

My vote goes to Gunther and his G & M Meats out in the Doi Saket boonies...... literally a German butcher from the old country and now has a very successful meat business and restaurant out there. Been friends with him for over 20 years and he knows his business. Excellent products and draws capacity crowds from Bkk on the week ends. Great success story , from just a little 3 table area to now seating hundreds on the week ends. G & M Meats.

I stopped in to Tops today and checked the brand name of these wonderful wursts. Indeed they are G&M Meats!

My hat's off to Herr Gunther. He's just made a life-long customer!

Gonzo, can you show the locating of his restaurant, please?

I stopped in to Tops today and checked the brand name of these wonderful wursts. Indeed they are G&M Meats!

My hat's off to Herr Gunther. He's just made a life-long customer!

Gonzo, can you show the locating of his restaurant, please?

FG ... this is indeed your luck day...... even though I have been out to Gunther's place 50 -60 times over the past 20 years, it it definitely the damnest to find or harder yet to give somebody details on how to get there..... so lucky you got the coords from Rebo. Go out to his place ..... you won't be disappointed. Look into some of his other tasties, like maybe the pork knuckle..... Top flight products all the way . Happy munching...... and if you like the pork knuckle come by and try our version.... people seem to like it as one of our best dishes.

... like maybe the pork knuckle... and if you like the pork knuckle come by and try our version.... people seem to like it as one of our best dishes.

Got me ...!

(And thanks again for one more of the most delicious pork knuckels in Thailand I enjoyed at your place last Thursday!)

... like maybe the pork knuckle... and if you like the pork knuckle come by and try our version.... people seem to like it as one of our best dishes.

Got me ...!

(And thanks again for one more of the most delicious pork knuckels in Thailand I enjoyed at your place last Thursday!)

Thanks for the kind words Rebo, and its good to see both of you back in town.

Go out to his place ..... you won't be disappointed.

Important, they close 15:00. Service and food gets limited at around 14:00, when there are not many more refills and guests are starting to leave. So come early.

German food isn't at the top of my favorites list but a few aficionados claim that the sausages sold at the German restaurant Aroy Garden in San Kampeng are more authentic than G&M's.

Aroy Garden has excellent German sausages, bread and beer. The draft "black beer" goes down very well.. burp.gif