CM Immigration makes strange Condominium visit ...

Sorry if this have already been up or are in a wrong forum.

The owners and tennants in our Condominium have been asked to give copy of Passport + copy of Visa in Passport to Condo Manager before the end of the week. This is a request from CM Immigration.

According to Manager CM Immigration came in person and asked him to do this. They would not inform him how often this is gonna go on.

So is this only applying for CM or is it happening all over Thailand and what are they doing about foreigners in houses ?

They don't care if your married or retired, tourist visa or 30 day exempt. Your land lord will report you on a TM 30. Condo, home, guest house or cat house AND the local BIB'S are going about also verifying foreigners in their jursdiction.facepalm.gif Welcome to the the club.laugh.png

Probably related to tightening up on reporting on foreigners post Erawan Shrine bombing...though this has always been on the books.

No it's started way before the bombing.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed a otf topic political comment

Nothing to worry about and it's happening in different parts of the country. They are visiting foreigners living in houses too.

Overstayers are the only ones that should be worried by these checks.

And those working illegally.whistling.gif

True thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about and it's happening in different parts of the country. They are visiting foreigners living in houses too.

True thumbsup.gif

Close to being the number 1 area in Thailand for this. Make you wonder.wink.png

My immigration office is in Nan and they have never mentioned the TM.30 form to me after 10 yrs of living in Thailand. Like some have mentioned I guess it all comes down to the head Immigration officer and what he has been told or chooses to enforce.

• Like 2

My immigration office is in Nan and they have never mentioned the TM.30 form to me after 10 yrs of living in Thailand. Like some have mentioned I guess it all comes down to the head Immigration officer and what he has been told or chooses to enforce.

Nan Immigration is in Division 5 and Chiang Mai is Division 5 headquarters. Standby.

True thumbsup.gif

And those whose neighbors say they beat their wives even though it's just hearsay

Same for me here in Ubon.

Did my 8th extension based upon marriage in August and it was not asked for. I guess the rental contract for the house we are renting plus a map to it and my wife's house book for our house up in the village is enough.

Just the enforcement of a law that has been in force since 1979, the Immigration Act.

Not really. My understanding of the Immigration Act is that owners

who live in their house/condo are not concerned by the Section #38 reporting.

The OP said that they have to give copies of Passport & Visa too though... ??

Just the enforcement of a law that has been in force since 1979, the Immigration Act.

Foreigners that own and live in their own condo are responsible for complying with section 38 and submitting the form themselves.

The police (not only immigration) should keep a register of all foreigners living in their area. Since the bombing the police are under orders to check on expats and update their records.

Edited by elviajero

Foreigners that own and live in their own condo are responsible for complying with section 38 and submitting the form themselves.

The police (not only immigration) should keep a register of all foreigners living in their area. Since the bombing the police are under orders to check on expats and update their records.

and the police being the local BIB's. They doing a very fine job in my area. This is a separate issue not to be confused with the immigration police.

and the police being the local BIB's. They doing a very fine job in my area. This is a separate issue not to be confused with the immigration police.

I think you're find the BIB's and immigration police are working together and these recent visits are a combined effort.

• Like 1

OP

If I were you I would contact Chiang Mai Immigration and confirm that this is a requirement. It seems strange to me that the head of immigration would visit a condominium requesting this information. A great way to obtain and sell personnal information.

Maybe left field but better to be sure than sorry.

• Like 2

A couple of months ago, CM immigration descended on my condo - had a business operating on the ground floor, most of the employees without work permits. Of course, condo management horrified. Has been very quiet since, think the business folded.

A couple of months ago, CM immigration descended on my condo - had a business operating on the ground floor, most of the employees without work permits. Of course, condo management horrified. Has been very quiet since, think the business folded.

Something like this. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794216-17-foreign-english-teachers-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-working-illegally/

Let's be more precise.

- I own my condo

- I live here on a Extension based on Retirement

- I am the only "alien" in my condo

Do I have to fill a TM.30 for myself ?

(from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf , Retirement is not in the Section #34 list)

Let's be more precise.

- I own my condo

(from http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf , Retirement is not in the Section #34 list)

Retirement falls under the other category. That is why you start out with a non-o visa. The O means other.

Immigration want you to report yourself. I don't particularly agree with it but that is their decision.

Let's be more precise.

- I own my condo

Yes.

Retirement extensions would probably come under section 34: 15. But that's not relevant. Section 38 requires the house-master or owner or possessor to submit the TM30 notify when a foreigner stays in a property more than 24 hours regardless of their visa status.