Mom-and-pop stores upgraded to stimulate domestic consumption

Lite Beer

Mom-and-pop stores upgraded to stimulate domestic consumption

BANGKOK, 3 October 2015 (NNT) - Dozens of mom-and-pop stores throughout the country will be upgraded to attract customers and bolster domestic consumption.

Ministry of Commerce undersecretary Chutima Boonyaprapassorn said a total of 57 mom-and-pop stores in 43 provinces will be upgraded in terms of quality of their merchandise and competitiveness.

Those local stores will offer quality goods at competitive prices, including those under a Thai Yang Yeun brand name, according to the undersecretary. Another 30 mom-and-pop stores will follow suit to help reduce the people's cost of living, she said.

In the face of a sustained inflation since the last nine months, primarily caused by global economic downturns, the Ministry of Commerce will implement marketing plans and take other measures to stimulate domestic consumption, she said.

In particular, the Ministry of Commerce aims to boost the purchasing power of low-income earners in Bangkok and the provinces.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-04 footer_n.gif

Simply astonishing numbers,a whole 57 shops over 43 provinces with the advent of another 30.

This is wonderful news and will impact massively on the nation I'm sure.

A real boost to the economy.

Edited by stoneyboy

Also if they could define mom and pop shop that would be handy.

I assume they mean like so.

post-118612-14439173054887_thumb.jpg

If so how did they go about choosing the initial lucky 57 shop owners.

Did someone visit each of the 43 provinces and pick one at random,they do seem to be in abundance here.

In the face of a sustained inflation since the last nine months, primarily caused by global economic downturns, the Ministry of Commerce will implement marketing plans and take other measures to stimulate domestic consumption, she said.

nntlogo.jpg

This...makes...no....sense.

nntlogo.jpg

Recent reports stated no inflation only deflation over the past months?

nntlogo.jpg

You are right! Especially since their was a news release not more than a week ago claiming their was no inflation and in fact a deflation occurring in Thailand at this time.

nntlogo.jpg

Recent reports stated no inflation only deflation over the past months?

Maybe they think if they put the inflated price labels upside down you get deflation.

I just hope the Thai people see through this type of government snow job like most falang do.

There are 100's of questions not answered by this article, because the answers, if truthful, would be too revealing of what the real story is.

Edited by oneday

Whoa, 57 shops plus a later 30...<deleted>? Over. There are closer to 5700 such shops. The concept of providing assistance and fiscal help for the Mom & Pops (M&Ps) I feel is an excellent idea. This is ideal for govt assistance programs if taken seriously. It would allow M&Ps potentially to purchase in possibly a cooperative type system at increased volume and subsequent price advantages (and hopefully quality advantage). The 7-11 shops has really cut into the M&P revenues and the local banking system would in no way ever assist a small local concern in the face of the 7-11 and their hi-so owners. I always like to buy from the local M&P to support local business when possible, especially as 7-11 seem to providing ever smaller and smaller portions of packaged foods at higher per weight unit basis prices (At least in our area), but the quality and supply in the M&Ps seems to be deteriorating yearly as well. I for one would like to see some realistic program for them as I feel the entire community including Thai suppliers would benefit. Well, maybe not 7-11.

I think the missing fact in this article is who owns this Thai Yang Yeun brand name, and what relationships does he have to be able to muscle into the market under a government initiative....

If the products were really good value and quality,people would buy them anyway...

Hopefully its not many many tonnes of 3yr old rice...

In the face of a sustained inflation since the last nine months?

Ministry of Commerce undersecretary Chutima needs to talk to the Minister of Commerce who recently had this to say about inflation:

“The Commerce Ministry has cut its inflation target for the year to negative territory - minus 0.2 per cent to minus 1 per cent - much lower than the previous projection of plus 0.6-1.3 per cent, following the continued drop in oil prices and sluggish domestic economic growth.

This represents the first annual decline in prices since 2009, when inflation contracted by 0.9 per cent during the global economic downturn and the government's measures to relieve the cost-of-living burden.

The ministry reported yesterday that the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for September had fallen 1.07 per cent year on year, declining for the ninth consecutive month.

Month-on-month inflation was down 0.05 per cent.

The CPI for the January-September period was down 0.9 per cent from the first three quarters of last year.”

The face of inflation is DEFLATION.

Either this upgrade of selected Mom and Pop stores is completely misguided or there is some hidden agenda involved, such as public funds being used to sustain selected, privately-owned store profitability in the name of upgrades.

Whoa, 57 shops plus a later 30...<deleted>? Over. There are closer to 5700 such shops. The concept of providing assistance and fiscal help for the Mom & Pops (M&Ps) I feel is an excellent idea. This is ideal for govt assistance programs if taken seriously. It would allow M&Ps potentially to purchase in possibly a cooperative type system at increased volume and subsequent price advantages (and hopefully quality advantage). The 7-11 shops has really cut into the M&P revenues and the local banking system would in no way ever assist a small local concern in the face of the 7-11 and their hi-so owners. I always like to buy from the local M&P to support local business when possible, especially as 7-11 seem to providing ever smaller and smaller portions of packaged foods at higher per weight unit basis prices (At least in our area), but the quality and supply in the M&Ps seems to be deteriorating yearly as well. I for one would like to see some realistic program for them as I feel the entire community including Thai suppliers would benefit. Well, maybe not 7-11.

Agreed - the ever proliferating 7-11's and Tesco Expresses are destroying the local economies - I mean the truly LOCAL economies with ever more Mom & Pop stores unable to compete with the hi-so owned 7-11's / Tesco Expresses and are closing all over the country. My M&P shop has recently had to close for this very reason. A properly funded co-operative style operation for ALL the M&P's would be a real boon to local communities bringing back a true sense of community within the villages concerned.