Chiang Mai province launches rail tourism

Lite Beer

Chiang Mai province launches rail tourism

CHIANG MAI, 3 October 2015 (NNT) - Chiang Mai province has launched tourism by way of train rides to the northern region.

Chiang Mai governor Pavin Chamniprasart said the rail tourism, entitled ''Train Ride to the North'', is being promoted to the northern provinces of Lampoon, Lampang and Chiang Mai. Visitors will enjoy viewing the northerners' way of life and historical sites, the governor said.

Mr. Pavin said the train ride which will accommodate 250 passengers per trip is expected to bring huge revenue in favor of local economy and benefit tourist industry in the northern region.

The northern-bound rail campaign started from 3rd and 4th October and followed by a trip to Mae Mo festival scheduled for 28th and 29th November.

The train ride to the northern provinces will resume on 5th December which marks the Father's Day and on 6th December, followed by 9th January, which marks the Children’s Day, and 10th January 2016.The last train ride will be provided on 13th February and 14th February 2016, which marks Valentine’s Day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-10-04 footer_n.gif

For all those who reside in Phetchabun province don't forget the amazing park and ride scheme being offered also.

Drive 140 km to Phitsanulok the nearest railway station and park your pick up for free before boarding the train for this spectacular event.

Where does one find out about these schemes / attractions? WE had some guests recently who worked on the Swiss railroad and wanted to experience a little of the Thai railways. We could find no information other than train times and prices from Chiang Mai station and this is the 1st I have seen of this. Is there a secret society you need to belong to to find out what is happening here? The same goes for Loy Krathong, what days will what events take place?

This is the same rail line where trains derailed 12 times last year? Oh, yeah, sounds real adventuresome to me.

Yea only if they can keep the train on the tracks.

I understand each ticket to ride includes free accident insurance cover, and details of all local hospitals to assist relatives who have to visit victims.

Where does one find out about these schemes / attractions? WE had some guests recently who worked on the Swiss railroad and wanted to experience a little of the Thai railways. We could find no information other than train times and prices from Chiang Mai station and this is the 1st I have seen of this. Is there a secret society you need to belong to to find out what is happening here? The same goes for Loy Krathong, what days will what events take place?

It is not a secret society...but is very hard for tourist or resident expats to find info about the events in Thailand cities.

I miss very much the publication called The Guardian, that can be obtained for free in any 7/11 or supermarket in California. The owner of that Magazine becomes millionaire with the idea, making a lot of money with all the advertising sales. Wonderful source for everything imaginable.

Will be fantastic if, someone will do that, at least in the tourist areas.

The real excitement will come with the high sped trains. We are taking bets as to how far down the track the train will get before it derails. You get an extra bonus if you can guess the speed at derailment to within 5% accuracy

Mr. Pavin said the train ride which will accommodate 250 passengers per trip is expected to bring huge revenue in favor of local economy and benefit tourist industry in the northern region.

Can we hear how many trillions Baht its gonna bring if tourists are actually lured in to this Death trap ... ?

Given the warm response in this thread to the press release in the OP is it any wonder that whatever government agency that developed these trips decided to focus on in-country tourism for Thai people, rather than doing any promotion beside this afterthought press release to the English-language local media?

This appears to have been developed to get more Bangkok people to come to Chiang Mai. At least they'll be leaving their cars in Bangkok.

Edited by NancyL

Given the warm response in this thread to the press release in the OP is it any wonder that whatever government agency that developed these trips decided to focus on in-country tourism for Thai people, rather than doing any promotion beside this afterthought press release to the English-language local media?

This appears to have been developed to get more Bangkok people to come to Chiang Mai. At least they'll be leaving their cars in Bangkok.

Yeah? Well, they can leave their BKK asses there too. We don't need them in CM.coffee1.gif

Seen ads for Loy Krathong on 25 different tv-channels so far (but the ads are ofc in Thai, so if you don't know the language I guess it can be hard to deduce which month) - the traditional Sukhothai dates being from 21st to 25th November(so a crap long weekend+ couple of days during the week), 25th being the actual "party" date :)

Seen ads for Loy Krathong on 25 different tv-channels so far (but the ads are ofc in Thai, so if you don't know the language I guess it can be hard to deduce which month) - the traditional Sukhothai dates being from 21st to 25th November(so a crap long weekend+ couple of days during the week), 25th being the actual "party" date smile.png

Sorry I have not seen these ads, I find it very difficult in Chiang Mai to get details of when and where the processions will be every year.

Seen ads for Loy Krathong on 25 different tv-channels so far (but the ads are ofc in Thai, so if you don't know the language I guess it can be hard to deduce which month) - the traditional Sukhothai dates being from 21st to 25th November(so a crap long weekend+ couple of days during the week), 25th being the actual "party" date smile.png

Sorry I have not seen these ads, I find it very difficult in Chiang Mai to get details of when and where the processions will be every year.

I tend to channel surf a lot (to find channels where there is dual language option), so I'm exposed to crapload of ads :D You're right that there aren't too many places where you can find out info, I usually hear about these happenings from friends, and usually it's too late for me to clear schedules at that time facepalm.gif